Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2012 Let's Eat - International First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Let's Eat - International First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2012, 3:19 am

Programs: United 1k, BA Gold, LX Senator, Flying Blue Plat, IHG Plat. Ambassador, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold
And here is the Westbound menu. Note it is again identical to old Continental BF menus- the downgrade looks to be with the snack as there is no choice and it's the wrap.

Old Jun 4, 2012, 7:33 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by XUPhilly
And here is the Westbound menu. Note it is again identical to old Continental BF menus- the downgrade looks to be with the snack as there is no choice and it's the wrap.
Gah!!! It looks like the damn tasteless vegetable spring roll has migrated to CO catering!
Old Jun 4, 2012, 8:56 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by 1kBill
Gah!!! It looks like the damn tasteless vegetable spring roll has migrated to CO catering!
Worry not, it's a warm appetizer, more like a dim sum fried spring roll. It's not the vietnamese style (with no insult intended to the vietnamese, of course) spring roll we were getting on UA.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 9:32 am

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
I would be very interested to hear about the updated C catering on UA919, the daytime IAD-LHR flight, if anyone has any experiences.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA - GS; CO - Pres. Plat.; SPG; GHA - Black
Thanks for the preview of my meal choices tomorrow from GVA
Old Jun 4, 2012, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by smashr
I would be very interested to hear about the updated C catering on UA919, the daytime IAD-LHR flight, if anyone has any experiences.
I remeber UA used to offer afternoon tea service on the US bound flights from LHR before landing. Wish they would bring it back. The scones and the finger sandwiches were quite good.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH diamond
Originally Posted by MarkedMan
Worry not, it's a warm appetizer, more like a dim sum fried spring roll. It's not the vietnamese style (with no insult intended to the vietnamese, of course) spring roll we were getting on UA.
That spring roll was itself an insult! So horrible.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by XUPhilly
And here are some photos. Food was actually good and I had a great flight attendant which made a huge difference. Verdict on food is that it's Continental BF food but better presented.
The appetizer looked very bad for GlobalFirst.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 1:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
UA65 LIS-EWR
757-200, N17133
10:25 a.m. (gate 145) – 1:25 p.m. (gate B60)
2E, 2F (Business Class)
Lunch, Snack

Boarding was pretty orderly; soon we were checking out the 16-seat BusinessFirst cabin. I’d been skeptical, but the seat, food and service were outstanding on this flight! That flight attendant pictured was a gem; friendly and hard-working.

Pre-departure sparkling wine, slightly less attractive in its plastic cup.

What’s that good-looking plane over there? Oh, it’s us!

Nice, large video screens; lots of choices on-demand.

But this is my favorite program!

Storage was better than UA’s new business class; power, the headphone jack and a USB port were between the seats.

The aisle was a bit narrow, but the seats themselves were wide and comfortable (and fully-flat, a great feature).

Menus were distributed prior to takeoff:

TO BEGIN

Warm Appetizer
Basil crayfish soup, vegetable mushroom purse and chicken skewer with chile sauce

Fresh Seasonal Greens
Roasted tomatoes, Kalamata olives, mini pear and walnuts with your choice of passion fruit dressing or balsamic vinaigrette.

MAIN COURSE

Pan-seared Lamb Steak
Potatoes au gratin, fine green beans and mixed vegetables with balsamic vinegar

Roasted Breast of Chicken
Coconut chile sauce, carrot bâtons, baby bok choy and basmati rice with lentils

San Francisco-style Cioppino
Stew of seared cod, scallops and shrimp in a savory sauce with roasted vegetables, potatoes and calamari

Ricotta and Parmesan Cheese filled Rolled Pasta
Marinara sauce, basil and grated Parmesan Reggiano cheese

TO FINISH

International Cheese Selection
Grapes and crackers served with Vista Alegre LBV Port

Dessert
Ice cream with your choice of toppings or petite pastries

MID-FLIGHT SNACK

Light snacks are available at any time following the main meal service
Please help yourself or ask your flight attendant for today’s selections

PRIOR TO ARRIVAL

Fresh Seasonal Fruit

Cheddar Cheeseburger
Lettuce, tomato, onion and traditional condiments of mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup and a pickle garnish

FEATURED CHAMPAGNE AND WINES

Champagne

Heidsieck & Co Monople Blue Top NV 2009/2010

White Wine

Michael Lynch Bordeaux Sauvignon Blanc 2010

or

Indaba Sauvignon Blanc 2009

Château Beauregard Ducasse Graves 2010

or

Chateau St. Jean Chardonnay 2010, Carneros

Red Wine

Matiz Joven 2010, Ribera del Duero

or

Grant Burge Barossa Shiraz 2008

Cosentino The Cab 2009, California

Regional Specialty

Quinta de Roiz Reserva 2004

BEVERAGE AND BAR SERVICE

Spirits

ABSOLUT Vodka
Bombay Sapphire Dry Gin
Bacardi Superior Light Rum
The Glenlivet Single Malt Scotch
Dewar’s “White Label” Blended Scotch Whisky
Crown Royal Canadian Whisky
Jack Daniels Tennessee Whiskey
Jim Beam Black Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey

Liqueurs and Cognac

Grand Marnier
Courvosier VSOP Fine Champagne Cognac
DISARANNO Amaretto
Baileys Irish Cream
Kahlúa

Beer

Budweiser
Miller Lite
Heineken

Beverages

Assorted Soft Drinks
Bottled Water
Seltzer Water
Tonic Water
Apple Juice
Cranberry-Apple Juice Cocktail
Orange Juice
Tomato Juice
Bloody Mary Mix
Coffee (Regular and Decaffeinated)
Hot Tea

After a fairly quick taxi, we took off to the northeast again, then turned for the Atlantic. Time for a cocktail (gin and tonic) and warm nuts. Although UA and CO are more and more merged, service was pre-merger CO Business First all the way, and quite impressive.

Two kinds of almonds and cashews. No walnuts, thanks!

“You had me at pretzel roll.”

Appetizers were served from the cart, a nice touch. This felt to me like what flying on a 707 or DC-8 must have back during the ‘60s. Very nice!

Of course I had to try all three. I even had seconds on the chicken skewer. The crew was charming and gracious, and encouraged us to have as much as we wanted. I switched to the Michael Lynch sauvignon blanc, a very nice choice.

Next up was a nice salad. I liked the combination of sweet pears and savory olives. I went with the vinaigrette dressing.

My friend chose the roasted chicken and gave it good marks.

I decided to live dangerously and have the cioppino (I had it one on a UA flight HKG-SFO and it made me VERY sick); it turned out to be delicious.

The fish, scallops, shrimp and squid were all nice and fresh, and the broth had a nice, slightly-spicy flavor.

Soon the cheese cart was on the move. I was pretty full so I passed (there were some leftovers on offer later in the galley, so I didn’t miss out entirely).

Now that’s the cart I was waiting for: sundaes! A nice treat, beautifully presented. My friend loves caramel so he had a large portion.

While I had hot fudge, along with nuts, whipped cream and a glass of port. Perfect.

The ice cream was perfectly softened, a nice touch.

(Part II follows.)

Last edited by Kurt; Jun 25, 2012 at 9:02 am
Old Jun 5, 2012, 1:12 pm

(Part II)

I took a stroll to the back; “regular” economy (there was an Economy Plus section, though) looked a little bit tight, but also had video-on-demand.

The darkened after-lunch business cabin. I watched “My Week with Marilyn,” then had a nap of a few hours.

Snacks (chips, cookies, biscotti, bananas) were available in the galley. I was not expecting this on a short (8-hour) transatlantic flight, but it was a nice touch.

AV controller.

And the menu screen. With my snack I watched “Albert Nobbs,” a strange little movie with Glenn Close, but one I ended up enjoying a lot.

About 75 minutes out of Newark, the pre-arrival snack was served. I’m not a huge fan of cheeseburgers, but this was nicely presented and tasted great.

Fruit plate; pineapple, oranges, red grapes and green melon, all pretty fresh and sweet.

A full complement of condiments was on the tray, also.

This chocolate was the rather skimpy dessert; other than that the meal service was top-notch.

Soon, we were on approach to drizzly Newark; we arrived about 20 minutes early. All in all a very nice transatlantic flight. Good job, PMCO!
Old Jun 5, 2012, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Great pics and detail Kurt... many thanks for this post! ^
Old Jun 5, 2012, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by geo1005
Great pics and detail Kurt... many thanks for this post! ^
^^^
Old Jun 5, 2012, 1:18 pm

I'm glad I got to experience "classic" BusinessFirst before it gets mixed in and diluted with the other products out there. I can see why it had such a good reputation. It is much better than "classic" United Business, and nearly on par with "classic" United First.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by MarkedMan
This is true; the only thing really wrong with the old UA spring roll was the absence of some sort of meat. Every Vietnamese joint I've been to puts some nice, fat shrimp in theirs.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 1:32 pm

Here are a couple of other random shots from Lisbon before we boarded our flight to Newark, including a bit of a surprise

May 2, 2012 marked the 15th anniversary of CO (UA) serving Portugal. Free swag! In this case it was a small box of chocolates from UA, and a small luggage lock from the airport authority. These must have been the station manager or maybe some corporate sales people or such.

Why, you’re welcome, UA.

The UA check-in area; I’m sure it’s shared with other airlines as UA only has one departure a day.

And here’s our UA 757, N17133, ready to take us back to the U.S.

Boa viagem!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.