Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2012 Let's Eat - International First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

2012 Let's Eat - International First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by EWR764
If you're looking for an outstanding epicurean experience, there are hundreds (thousands) of restaurants all around the world, within reach of every budget, that blow the doors off even the best airline food available.
Apparently you've never enjoyed a 7 course Georges Blanc or Matt Moran meal in SQ First or the Neil Perry tasting menu in QF First.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
Apparently you've never enjoyed a 7 course Georges Blanc or Matt Moran meal in SQ First or the Neil Perry tasting menu in QF First.
Hey SFO777 it appears that EWR764 has swallowed the corp pill, and believe that UA is much better then others.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
What are "traditional" meal times?

I'm looking at a flight tomorrow, EWR-SJU at 7:26pm that says "snack" in Business class. Last time I checked, 7 or 7:30 is a pretty normal dinner time in most places.

Not that CO..um...UA meals are anything to write home about, but, seriously...a 7:30pm flight in business class doesn't come with dinner?

Does anyone know what their definition of "traditional" meal times are these days? The website is purposefully vague about the whole issue.

(...or is this just another case of the website being screwed up....after all, the boarding pass I printed says that I'm in BusinessFirst )
Old Jul 16, 2012, 6:10 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by TommyC80
I'm looking at a flight tomorrow, EWR-SJU at 7:26pm that says "snack" in Business class. Last time I checked, 7 or 7:30 is a pretty normal dinner time in most places.

Not that CO..um...UA meals are anything to write home about, but, seriously...a 7:30pm flight in business class doesn't come with dinner?

Does anyone know what their definition of "traditional" meal times are these days? The website is purposefully vague about the whole issue.

(...or is this just another case of the website being screwed up....after all, the boarding pass I printed says that I'm in BusinessFirst )
Yeah, the system still doesn't display the correct meals on the website. Fear not, you should get a full meal.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 6:15 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
You will not receive a meal. You will receive the cold pasta/chicken snack plate. Your flight is 26 minutes off the cutoff for dinner, which is absolutely ridiculous, IMHO. The general UA website gets it wrong sometimes, but the best info can be found on the amenities page of the mobile UA page.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by Jorgen
Yeah, the system still doesn't display the correct meals on the website. Fear not, you should get a full meal.
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...st/dining.aspx

EWR-SJU is 1608 miles. Because it's considered a "midcon" flight, anything after 7pm is outside the dinner meal window.

Stingy. Indeed
Old Jul 17, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by demkr
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...st/dining.aspx

EWR-SJU is 1608 miles. Because it's considered a "midcon" flight, anything after 7pm is outside the dinner meal window.

Stingy. Indeed
If that's so then I stand corrected. 7:30pm isn't dinnertime? Sheesh!
Old Jul 17, 2012, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Jorgen
If that's so then I stand corrected. 7:30pm isn't dinnertime? Sheesh!
What, you think this is AA?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 9:14 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by SFO777
Fair point. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule, but I certainly feel more confident expecting an extraordinary dining experience at Le Bernardin, Alinea or L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon than I do onboard any airplane!

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Ok "suck" was not the correct word, how about horrible. When comparing F to F, LH presentation, attention to detail and over all quality is better then UA. I can not believe (even though you work for UA) would come on this public forum and say other wise. The photos show that LH has a better soft product. Why does UA have two first products? They have Global First and BF, why?

When it comes to J product, I was not that impressed with UA, I have flown J on UA, BA and AC, both BA and AC was far better then UA's product in the air and on the ground, but keep telling yourself that UA has a product that rivals the European airlines... The important people the ones that spend money know better.
You would do well to actually read my posts before replying with an inflammatory response. When did I EVER say UA has a better first class product than Lufthansa? Nobody in their right mind could suggest that with a straight face. As far as business class, I don't think LH is very good. That's not to say that United's is better, but for my dollar, I think other airlines do a better job. With that said, United is pretty much average.

I don't work for UA, but I see them for what they are, which is a middling, thoroughly mediocre airline. It is borderline absurd to try to compare United to the likes of Singapore, Qantas, Lufthansa, Swiss or Cathay Pacific. So, if refusing to engage in such comparisons just to spew a line of nonsense about how much they suck makes me a corporate apologist, then so be it.

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Hey SFO777 it appears that EWR764 has swallowed the corp pill, and believe that UA is much better then others.
Sadly, reading comprehension appears to be a lost skill.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
In the "great idea that costs nothing" category, I recently had the best FA in F ORD-MUC that I've even had. One of her improvisation was that she brought out the appropriate utensils with each course. Rather than plunking the entire packet of silverware down at once, she brought and removed it course by course. Left the tray uncluttered, and to me it actually made a difference in my experience.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
Originally Posted by ordflyer60614
Had the lamb on IAD to DXB last week. It was actually rather tasty.
I had the lamb on EWR-IST (in C) on 7/19. Thoroughly mediocre. But it did the job and gave me a non-empty stomach before I went to sleep.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 4:58 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by milepig
In the "great idea that costs nothing" category, I recently had the best FA in F ORD-MUC that I've even had. One of her improvisation was that she brought out the appropriate utensils with each course. Rather than plunking the entire packet of silverware down at once, she brought and removed it course by course. Left the tray uncluttered, and to me it actually made a difference in my experience.
Thanks for sharing! That is a great idea and makes a huge difference in experience.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Had one of the best meal experiences on UA earlier today in GF NRT -> LAX. Miso glazed sea bass was pretty damn good. In addition, they are doing this a la carte appetizer program where the FA walks through the cabin with a platter of many appetizers and lets you choose which you'd like and how many, as well as offers seconds (or thirds presumably if you are so inclined).

Was much better than I can recall in GF recently on flights to/from SFO/NRT. ex-NRT catering is generally better anyhow, but this was among the best I've seen.

All of that said -- it's still airplane food.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 2:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ainternational
Had one of the best meal experiences on UA earlier today in GF NRT -> LAX. Miso glazed sea bass was pretty damn good.
I had the sea bass last month out of NRT, and I agree - ^^, even though it is airplane food.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA GS & Marriott Titanium
Anyone know the bf menu for ua33 cdg-iah this month?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.