Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2012 Let's Eat - International First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Let's Eat - International First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2012, 5:04 pm

Programs: Kettle
can anyone comment on what the asian vegetarian meal is from ewr to cph?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:23 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by cozmo82
can anyone comment on what the asian vegetarian meal is from ewr to cph?
Not sure on that routing, but in most cases ex-SFO, LAX and NRT, I've seen Indian type food and/or vegetarian curries (Japanese or Indian curry).
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
EWR - DEL

I am vegetarian and wondering if I need to order a special meal for the above captioned flight and the return, or if I can assume that the regular menu will provide a vegetarian option.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RealFan
I am vegetarian and wondering if I need to order a special meal for the above captioned flight and the return, or if I can assume that the regular menu will provide a vegetarian option.
While I'm sure a vegetarian option would be a given on an India flight, better to be safe, and formally go ahead and request a vegetarian meal.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 5:49 pm

Lunch on UA929?

Does anyone know if UA offers lunch on UA929 LHR-ORD in J? The .bomb site says breakfast but that would be a very small meal for an almost 9 hours flight
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:56 am
gba

Programs: Alaska MVP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (United Silver), Hilton Gold
United 930 SFO-LHR Business

UA 07/12
LAX/SFO-LHR (LD61-R67-B67)
210C022-3

TO BEGIN

Chilled Appetizer

(no details on the menu but this was lox-style salmon and hard smoked salmon with spicy tartar sauce)

Fresh Seasional Greens
Tomatoes, cucumbers, and croutons with your choice of buttermilk ranch or classic Caesar dressing

MAIN COURSE

Grilled Pork Chop

Green peppercorn sauce, shitake mushroom bread pudding, white asparagus and broccolini

Osso Buco-style Breast of Chicken
Chanterelle mushroom ragout, garlic polenta cake and broccolini

San Francisco-style Cioppino
Seared hake and grilled shrimp in tomoato-seafood sauce with mixed vegetables

Spinach Cannelloni
Four-cheese sauce and roasted tomatoes with Parmesan cheese

TO FINISH

Internationl Cheese Selection

Grapes and crackers werved with Noval Fire Ruby Port

Dessert
Ice cream with your choice of toppings

MID-FLIGHT SNACK

Assorted Sandwiches

Sun-dried tomoato and basil tortilla wrap with turkey and cheddar
Hummus and pepper jack cheese

Fruit and light snakcs are available at any time following the meal service
Please help yourself or ask a flight attendant for today's selections

PRIOR TO ARRIVAL

Herbed Scrambled Eggs

Potato gratin and turkey sausage

Chilled Deli Selection
Swiss cheese, Black Forest ham, Genoa salami and turkey

Cereal and Banana
Served with milk

Breakfast breads wtih butter and fruit preserves

Notes: Started and salad were significantly improved, I had the Cioppino and the fish was a little dry but otherwise decent (it had clams which weren't listed on the memu which I'm not sure I've seen before on an airplane) and it's nice to have both the cheese and the ice cream...this is definitely a change I like
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:02 pm

yes

I've taken this flight. Breakfast right after take off and a huge full lunch service before you land. quite good.

Originally Posted by harry0233
Does anyone know if UA offers lunch on UA929 LHR-ORD in J? The .bomb site says breakfast but that would be a very small meal for an almost 9 hours flight
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:03 pm
gba

Programs: Alaska MVP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (United Silver), Hilton Gold
United 959 LHR-ORD Business

UA 07/12
LHR-IAD/ORD (LD61-R69-S67P)
211C024-3

TO BEGIN

Chilled Appetizer

(no details on the menu but this was hard smoked salmon and shrimp with pineapple salsa)

Fresh Seasional Greens
Tomatoes, dried cherries, mini fruit and croutons with your choice of creamy tropical fruit dressing or balsamic vinaigrette

MAIN COURSE

Pan-seared Steak

Red wine sauce, chanterelle mushroom-onion medley, potatoes, broccoli and carrots

Tandoori Breask of Chicken
Coriander-tomato sauce, saffron rice pilaf and curried spinach

Indian-spiced Shrimp
Spiced tomato sauce, basmati rice and julienned begetables

Pici Pasta
Tomato-basil sauce and vegatable-mushroom medley with Parmesan cheese

TO FINISH

Internationl Cheese Selection

Grapes and crackers werved with Noval Fire Ruby Port

Dessert

MID-FLIGHT SNACK

Fruit and light snakcs are available at any time following the meal service
Please help yourself or ask a flight attendant for today's selections

PRIOR TO ARRIVAL

Chicken Bouquet

Notes: Salad was a little smaller than the outbound (but still an improvement over pmUA) and Chicken entree could have used more sauce. Pre-arrival snack was fine but I miss the scones and clotted cream that used to be served ex-LHR
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:25 pm

Two of these are United Business mains (actually one is from PS) in 2012. Three are from international First class on non-US carriers - KE, TG, and LH.

UA may be lacking in the starter and wine departments in first class, but really....they are now above average when it comes to main courses thanks to the old CO BizFirst standard. And this is in business class...don't even try to compare biz class from a typical international carrier to what UA now serves in BizFirst. Unless we're talking outlers like SQ and Qatar, for business class the mains are as good as you're going to get.

Old Jul 14, 2012, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
UA893 J SFO-ICN July 2012

UA893 J SFO-ICN July 2012

Terrible service from an indifferent crew and inoperative IFE made for a very long flight. Second meal service didn't begin on the upperdeck until we had already begun our descent for ICN, leaving me 3 minutes to eat the meal before the tray was taken away and the cabin prepared for landing. Also of note, not a single choice was available for the main lunch entree - even though the FAs were busy eating my two preferred entrees when I went downstairs to use the lav.

Lunch

To Begin

Chilled Appetizer

Fresh Seasonal Greens
Tomatoes, cucumbers and croutons with your choice of buttermilk ranch or classic Caesar dressing

Main Course (pasta was absolutely identical to a transcon dinner I had last month)

Grilled Tenderloin of Beef
Bulgogi sauce, baby bok choy, carrots and steamed rice

Osso Bucco-style Breast of Chicken
Chanterelle mushroom ragout, garlic polenta cake and broccolini

San Francisco-style Cioppino
Seared hake and grilled shrimp in tomato-seafood sauce with mixed vegetables

Spinach Cannelloni
Four-cheese sauce and roasted tomatoes with Parmesan cheese

To Finish

International Cheese Selection
Grapes and crackers served with Noval Fine Ruby Port

Dessert

Mid-Flight Snack

Assorted Sandwiches
Sun-dried tomato and basil tortilla wrap with turkey and cheddar Hummus and pepper jack cheese

Prior to Arrival

Herbed Scrambled Eggs
Potato gratin and turkey sausage

Noodle Soup with Braised Beef
Won tons and Chinese broccoli

Cereal and Banana
Served with milk

Wine List

Champagne
Paul Dangin Brut NV Champagne

White Wine
Burgans Albarino 2009, Rias Baixas, Spain
Chateau St. Jean Chardonnay 2010, Carneros
or
Kunde Estate-Bottled Chardonnay 2010, Sonoma Valley

Red Wine
Santa Duc - AOP Les Buissons Cairanne 2010, Cotes du Rhone Villages
Cosentino The Cab 2009, California
or
Trapiche Broquel Malbec 2009, Argentina

UA 07/12
SFO-ICN (LD81-R87-B87)
260C013-3

Old Jul 14, 2012, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
UA 88 PEK-EWR (July 14) 1 of 2

Old Jul 14, 2012, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
UA 88 PEK-EWR (July 14) 2 of 2

Old Jul 14, 2012, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
upper deck (747) meal service issues

I don't have much experience flying UA 747s internationally, but last week I flew UA893 (SFO-ICN) on the upper deck (seated in 15K - roughly midway through the cabin) and encountered a whole host of meal service issues. I'm curious if these are related to sitting in the upper deck (which I thought was desirable) or particular to this flight crew.

- Meal Choice - was told that they had run out of every entree except the pasta when orders were taken. Later, I went downstairs to use the lav and saw the FAs eating what would have been my first and second entree choice (the beef and the cioppino, respectively). Are the upper deck's entrees entirely segregated from those available on the lower deck? It would seem there should be some coordination between both decks when taking orders, no? I requested to pre-order my prior-to-arrival entree choice, but was told it wasn't possible unless I was a GS.

- Port wine - requested a glass of Port with cheese and was told there wasn't any available upstairs. Instead I was offered a refill of red wine with no offer to get the Port from downstairs. Are passengers expected to walk downstairs to get particular beverage choices?

- Pre-Arrival meal service - didn't begin until approximately 40 minutes before landing, just as we started our descent. By the time they got to me I was told they had run out of all three meals and only had the tray setup (with fruit, yogurt, and bread) remaining. It wouldn't have really mattered anyways, because three minutes later the tray was picked up before I was finished as the pilots requested the cabin be prepared for landing. Do they not cater enough pre-arrival meals so everyone can at least have something? Again, is this something specific to the upper deck (perhaps meal storage limitations?).

Also, my IFE (video screen) was inoperative throughout the flight despite multiple reset attempts, though this seemed to be isolated to my seat and didn't affect the rest of the upper deck.

I don't mean to rant - just curious if this kind of service is the norm for those seated on the upper deck?

-FlyerBeek

Last edited by FlyerBeek; Jul 14, 2012 at 5:18 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 14, 2012, 5:24 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Wow, that is really bad service. Can't believe they wouldn't let you pre-order the pre-arrival meal. Given how you got shafted on the first meal choice, they should have let you pre-order the next one as a goodwill gesture.

Is there any chance you can fly Asian carriers next time? I can pretty much guarantee that these problems would not happen on NH and (I'm guessing) OZ. When I flew NH they happily accepted my pre-order for the second meal, and I can't imagine them denying a food or drink item because they're too lazy to get it from a different section of the plane.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 7:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
I don't have much experience flying UA 747s internationally, but last week I flew UA893 (SFO-ICN) on the upper deck (seated in 15K - roughly midway through the cabin) and encountered a whole host of meal service issues. I'm curious if these are related to sitting in the upper deck (which I thought was desirable) or particular to this flight crew.

- Meal Choice - was told that they had run out of every entree except the pasta when orders were taken. Later, I went downstairs to use the lav and saw the FAs eating what would have been my first and second entree choice (the beef and the cioppino, respectively). Are the upper deck's entrees entirely segregated from those available on the lower deck? It would seem there should be some coordination between both decks when taking orders, no? I requested to pre-order my prior-to-arrival entree choice, but was told it wasn't possible unless I was a GS.

- Port wine - requested a glass of Port with cheese and was told there wasn't any available upstairs. Instead I was offered a refill of red wine with no offer to get the Port from downstairs. Are passengers expected to walk downstairs to get particular beverage choices?

- Pre-Arrival meal service - didn't begin until approximately 40 minutes before landing, just as we started our descent. By the time they got to me I was told they had run out of all three meals and only had the tray setup (with fruit, yogurt, and bread) remaining. It wouldn't have really mattered anyways, because three minutes later the tray was picked up before I was finished as the pilots requested the cabin be prepared for landing. Do they not cater enough pre-arrival meals so everyone can at least have something? Again, is this something specific to the upper deck (perhaps meal storage limitations?).

Also, my IFE (video screen) was inoperative throughout the flight despite multiple reset attempts, though this seemed to be isolated to my seat and didn't affect the rest of the upper deck.

I don't mean to rant - just curious if this kind of service is the norm for those seated on the upper deck?

-FlyerBeek
I flew NRT-ORD on a 747 UD last month, and experienced nothing close to what you did. Meals served on time, all choices available, and excellent service. Sounds like you got a bad crew.

My seatmate had a bad IFE screen as well, though. Were you sitting in seat 15A?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.