Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global Premier (fka Systemwide) Upgrades on Lufthansa?

Global Premier (fka Systemwide) Upgrades on Lufthansa?

Old May 18, 2012, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by unavaca
Anyone have a recent LH SWU that can check if P fares are excluded?
Mine are maybe a month old and do not exclude P fares.
Old May 18, 2012, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by ualvet
Mine are maybe a month old and do not exclude P fares.
Sweet! I'll order my SWU now Upgrade is still at gate-only/checkin, right?

How long does it take for SWUs to arrive? There's only F2 left on my flight, so I'm contemplating if I should wait to see if that drops to 0 and I can avoid having to mail it back for re-deposit.
Old May 18, 2012, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat

How long does it take for SWUs to arrive? There's only F2 left on my flight, so I'm contemplating if I should wait to see if that drops to 0 and I can avoid having to mail it back for re-deposit.
I got these in the mail in about a week, but wasn't in any great hurry. In the past they've been Fedexed when needed in less than two weeks.
Old May 18, 2012, 4:49 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by DHalltheway
2) Is there a way to check for upgrade availability on LH before ticketing?
Is there a way to check availability prior to getting to the airport? E.g. KVS / EF?
Out of the two, only the KVS Tool supports LH Award/Upgrade Availability: http://Help.KVSTool.com/#Classes
Old May 18, 2012, 8:35 pm

Arrow

2) Is there a way to check for upgrade availability on LH before ticketing?
Is there a way to check availability prior to getting to the airport? E.g. KVS / EF?
Yes, there are many options other then EF or KVS:

AwardNexus.com - Free version for FT members
http://www.awardtravelr.com - Free
http://flisea.com/ - Free

Last edited by pete4212; Sep 21, 2012 at 10:33 am
Old May 18, 2012, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by Bluehen1
The last time I flew FRA-EWR, this almost was the case. I was waiting in the Tower Lounge after coming in from DUS and was called up to the desk. The agent told me that if I wanted the upgrade, I would have last choice of the meals and might not get what I wanted as they would not be able to load the proper catering. I accepted and got a seat in Row 1 and was able to get everything I wanted. Of course, YMMV.
Last time I flew FRA-ORD, I went to the FCL (arrived on an LH flight after upgrading to F), and with a two hour layover it was no go due to meals. Whereas, I once got to the gate at BLR two hours before and was told the captain approved the upgrade contingent on me accepting a business class meal. I accepted, and of course was able to eat an F class meal. They'd would have let have three meals that night.

So yes, YMMV. IME, check in at least 3 hours before with the counter or a lounge, and you will score if there is space (and there usually is, last month missed one upgrade to F. First miss due to a full F cabin in over a dozen tries).

The GPU you will get will exclude Z, and thus you can count on LH denying P. This was the case for years with discounted economy fares that weren't listed as excluded but most of the time denied by LH. YMMV, but not by much.

It is worth a try though.

Last edited by mre5765; May 19, 2012 at 7:49 am
Old May 19, 2012, 7:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Plus the new wording in the fine print points to the fact that LH may add new fare classes to the exclusion list at any point.
Old May 19, 2012, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Plus the new wording in the fine print points to the fact that LH may add new fare classes to the exclusion list at any point.
Indeed. The thing is that if Z and P were allowed, given that LH cut the number of pax in F by 50 percent, upgrades would rarely clear.
Old May 24, 2012, 6:54 pm

Priority

Does anyone know how GPUs are prioritized on LH?

I believe they are handed to gate agent then placed on standby?

This means we are behind all LH flyers who were able to upgrade earlier?

Then, of those in queue a few hours before departure, how are they ranked?

Also, I assume that LH doesn't peddle TOD offers like COdbaUA does? So, there is actually a chance?
Old May 24, 2012, 6:54 pm

Hm, my flight is F1. Still worth ordering a SWU?
Old May 24, 2012, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by KVS
Out of the two, only the KVS Tool supports LH Award/Upgrade Availability: http://Help.KVSTool.com/#Classes
GPU books into I?
Old May 24, 2012, 7:26 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by mitchmu
GPU books into I?
Yes, LH only has one Upgrade Booking Class (http://Help.KVSTool.com/#LH), which is used for all types of upgrades, including UA MP GPUs.
Old May 24, 2012, 7:28 pm

UA has updated the website to indicate that P is excluded.
The following Lufthansa fares are not eligible for Global Premier Upgrades: Z, P, W, S, T, L, K, R, E, X, I, O, ID, AD and IP.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...wupgrades.aspx
Old May 27, 2012, 8:18 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by mitchmu
Does anyone know how GPUs are prioritized on LH?

I believe they are handed to gate agent then placed on standby?

This means we are behind all LH flyers who were able to upgrade earlier?

Then, of those in queue a few hours before departure, how are they ranked?

Also, I assume that LH doesn't peddle TOD offers like COdbaUA does? So, there is actually a chance?
GPU are listed behind the invols, no complex ranking over at LH

You can be placed on the standby aka 'Grading List' by any agent with autrhorisation, ie checkin, gate, lounge etc. We have seen gradings in MUC for flights ex SIN to FRA, so always ask. The paper is collected at the gate before boarding.

LH has some stations that offer TOD upgrades, mainly outstations like ICN. Definitely not TOD, but HOD.
Old May 29, 2012, 12:52 pm

Programs: CM PP DL GM
SWU in Lufthansa

I just got some paper SWU to use in Lufthansa how do they work I am flying Y in V fare from BKK to MIA via FRA
Thank you very much

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 29, 2012 at 1:00 pm Reason: moved to existing thread

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.