Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2016, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
To register a companion www.united.com/MMcompanion or https://promo.united.com/offers/mmcomp

First companion choice selection becomes effective immediately. Changing companion must be done before end of November and takes effect in the first week of January. You can have only 1 designated MM companion. If you don't make a change, the previously selected companion will remain in place.
While rules suggests the companion has to reside at the same address as elite, in practice, neither same address or same last name is needed (UA may be tighten this up starting in late 2022)
The companion has all the same privileges / status as the MM elite but will not receive PlusPoints (before 2020 RPUs or GPUs) based on the companion status.

Companion eligibility:
  1. A companion is defined as a spouse, significant other or individual who resides at same home address, based on MileagePlus profile information.
  2. Your companion must be an enrolled member of the MileagePlus program under his or her own name and may not already be the companion of another Million Miler.
  3. The companion benefit is awarded on an annual basis and is nontransferable.
  4. Your companion will receive his or her own individual Premier credentials and does not need to travel with you to enjoy the benefits of the Premier level awarded.
  5. Your designated companion will automatically renew each year unless you let us know otherwise by November 30 of the current year.
  6. You may change the companion on your account; however the change will not be in effect until January 1 of the following year. All change requests must be made by November 30 (for changes to existing companion nominations) or December 30 (for first-time nominations) to be effective for the following year. MileagePlus will not be able to accept changes to existing companion nominations during the month of December.
See UA Million Miler program web page for more

Relevant thread: UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread

Archive thread: Million Miler companion benefit {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Million Miler companion benefit

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2022, 1:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TechOps
I just tried to change my MM companion, something I've done a couple times over the last decade. This time, I received an error message from UA.com saying my account is ineligible for this benefit! Has anyone else gotten this? I tried on two different browsers and got the same result. ...
That's odd

Is your present companion still showing your status?

Originally Posted by DELee
Probably have to wait for another month or so to change for next year.
That has now been past practice, just needed to be done prior 30 Nov

Can I change my designated companion who will receive Premier status?
Yes, any change to your companion must be completed by November 30 of the preceding year and will take effect the following calendar year (during the first week of January).
Old Aug 25, 2022, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I just tried to change my MM companion, something I've done a couple times over the last decade. This time, I received an error message from UA.com saying my account is ineligible for this benefit! Has anyone else gotten this? I tried on two different browsers and got the same result.

One can only change the nominated companion during a short window at the end f each calendar year. I suspect that's the issue here. The error message could certainly be more informative.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
One can only change the nominated companion during a short window at the end f each calendar year. I suspect that's the issue here. The error message could certainly be more informative.
I don't believe that is true. A new MMer can nominate at any time and a existing nomination just needs to be done prior 30 Nov to take effect the next year. As UA notes on its MMer nomination website site -- quote a couple of posts back.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K / 1MM, Bonvoy Platinum, Amex Platinum
I'll try again closer to November and report back. :-)
Old Aug 25, 2022, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I don't believe that is true. A new MMer can nominate at any time and a existing nomination just needs to be done prior 30 Nov to take effect the next year. As UA notes on its MMer nomination website site -- quote a couple of posts back.
Sure, a new MMer can nominate at any time. But the question was about changing the nominated person. I tried the same "Register companion" link as was described above - and that UA lists as the one to use to change the designated companion. I got the same error message as reported above. I've been a MMer for ver 10 years.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
,,, I tried the same "Register companion" link as was described above - and that UA lists as the one to use to change the designated companion. I got the same error message as reported above. I've been a MMer for ver 10 years.
Recently or in the past? The issue is if this has changed recently? (or a temp issue)
Fairly sure others have reported in the past trying to change well before Nov and it was just deferred, not error out.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Recently or in the past? The issue is if this has changed recently? (or a temp issue)
Fairly sure others have reported in the past trying to change well before Nov and it was just deferred, not error out.
I tried that yesterday.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 6:22 am

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
I successfully changed nominees in October of last year for 22 status.

Last edited by 8MiHi; Aug 26, 2022 at 6:50 am
Old Aug 26, 2022, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 1MM/GS, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Here's a situation I'm in, and I haven't called United to ask about it, but I'm curious what people think the answer ought to be:

My father-in-law is 3MM GS. When his wife passed a few years back, he called in and nominated me as his designated companion. At the time I was 1K, so since then I've inherited his GS status. Recently I became 1MM myself, hence Lifetime Gold. And, based on my own flying record, I would qualify for 1K if I wasn't already GS via companion status.

My question is: Could I ask United to designate my wife as my companion, even though I'm already designated as somebody else's companion? And if they did allow that, what status should my wife get? I think it would be clearly wrong for her to get GS, but I could see a case for Gold (my lifetime status) or 1K (the status I'd have, absent being my FIL's companion).
Old Aug 26, 2022, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by rowenb
My question is: Could I ask United to designate my wife as my companion, even though I'm already designated as somebody else's companion? ...
Yes
... And if they did allow that, what status should my wife get? .
Likely GS -- see discussion earlier in the upthread on chaining
SPN Lifer and theise like this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Here's a situation I'm in, and I haven't called United to ask about it, but I'm curious what people think the answer ought to be:

My father-in-law is 3MM GS. When his wife passed a few years back, he called in and nominated me as his designated companion. At the time I was 1K, so since then I've inherited his GS status. Recently I became 1MM myself, hence Lifetime Gold. And, based on my own flying record, I would qualify for 1K if I wasn't already GS via companion status.

My question is: Could I ask United to designate my wife as my companion, even though I'm already designated as somebody else's companion? And if they did allow that, what status should my wife get? I think it would be clearly wrong for her to get GS, but I could see a case for Gold (my lifetime status) or 1K (the status I'd have, absent being my FIL's companion).
You can always designate her as your MM companion and she will inherit your status as well. Since you inherit GS as a MM companion, she will too through you.

David
Old Aug 27, 2022, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
I just tried to change my MM companion, something I've done a couple times over the last decade. This time, I received an error message from UA.com saying my account is ineligible for this benefit! Has anyone else gotten this? I tried on two different browsers and got the same result.

I’ve never nominated anyone and I went it to do so and got this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by JAaronT
Sounds to me like a call to the MP service center is in order. If you’ve never nominated anyone, it should’ve applied right away. Good luck and please keep us posted
Old Aug 27, 2022, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by JAaronT
Do you check all of these boxes (from the UA website)...

Companion eligibility:

1. A companion is defined as a spouse, significant other or individual who resides at same home address, based on MileagePlus profile information.
  2. Your companion must be an enrolled member of the MileagePlus program under his or her own name and may not already be the companion of another Million Miler.
  3. The companion benefit is awarded on an annual basis and is nontransferable.
  4. Your companion will receive his or her own individual Premier credentials and does not need to travel with you to enjoy the benefits of the Premier level awarded.
  5. Your designated companion will automatically renew each year unless you let us know otherwise by November 30 of the current year.
  6. You may change the companion on your account; however the change will not be in effect until January 1 of the following year. All change requests must be made by November 30 (for changes to existing companion nominations) or December 30 (for first-time nominations) to be effective for the following year. MileagePlus will not be able to accept changes to existing companion nominations during the month of December.
The home address one is easy to trip you up....
Old Aug 27, 2022, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Sounds to me like a call to the MP service center is in order. If you’ve never nominated anyone, it should’ve applied right away. Good luck and please keep us posted
As the system errors out of the entry of just the MMers information before entering any companion info,independent of if the MMer has a registered companion or not, this seems clearly a website issue. It's broken for any use.
JAaronT and Flying Machine like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.