Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Oh oh, ‘Account Correction’ bumps me from Gold to Silver

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oh oh, ‘Account Correction’ bumps me from Gold to Silver

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2011, 12:59 pm

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
Welcome new Silver member..your at the level you earned and should be happy you recieved benefits you wernt entiltled to for 6 months..You should be thanking the airline!@:-)
Old Dec 10, 2011, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER
Welcome new Silver member..your at the level you earned and should be happy you recieved benefits you wernt entiltled to for 6 months..You should be thanking the airline!@:-)
Did you even read UA Insiders post, #22?
Old Dec 10, 2011, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by Baze
I would almost be willing to bet these audits are a precursor to the upcoming lifetime mileage adjustment on 12/31/11. They are just making sure the accounts are good before adding all the other EQM's, etc.
and I bet you would be correct.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Originally Posted by Daniel-SYD
I'm too minds about it - the OP has a responsibility to ensure their records are accurate and to promptly follow up on any correction, especially when statements are issued.
I disagree, mostly because of how slow the OPSC is to do anything. It can take months for them to give proper credit for a flight, or fix anything that gets mis-credited.

I'd be terrified of contacting them to take improper credit AWAY. They might take away too much, or it might take them months/years to do it.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Kudos to UACO for doing the right thing...gestures like these is what keeps loyalty, and at a very minimal cost to boot
Old Dec 10, 2011, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, *G, HH Gold, Amtrak Select Plus, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi craigsf, no need to beg or do a mileage run. As you know, we did remove miles from accounts where they were credited in error. But, it is also our intent to let anyone who earned a higher Elite status because of the error , to keep it. Overriding to a higher status requires some manual intervention on our side to make this work. We're working through this list now, but, it could still take us a couple of days to complete this. In the meantime, If you'd like to PM me your OnePass account number, I'll be happy to get this resolved for you sooner.

Shannon
OP here, just chiming in to give a big thanks to UA! Definitely a classy move (especially reaching out on FT!) and great to feel "looked after" by UA in this case. I'm certainly happy with the resolution, and I'm glad that the general consensus seems to be that it's a fair one.

Craig
Old Dec 10, 2011, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
A non FT friend of mine got EQM's taken away. She is already 1k and well above the threshold; however, with the decrease in EQM's (about 3,000 she said), she will now end the year about 149k EQM, just short of the amount needed for additional SWU and CR1's. Will those also be re-instated, or would she need to beg/plead/Mileage Run to get them?
Old Dec 10, 2011, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by travel.flier
A non FT friend of mine got EQM's taken away. She is already 1k and well above the threshold; however, with the decrease in EQM's (about 3,000 she said), she will now end the year about 149k EQM, just short of the amount needed for additional SWU and CR1's. Will those also be re-instated, or would she need to beg/plead/Mileage Run to get them?
I think that might be a different story, since 150K is not technically another elite tier. I'd just have her do Elite Maximizer in case. It'll be $130 for 1K EQM.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 6:29 pm
xFF

Programs: UA lifetime 1K
it is also our intent to let anyone who earned a higher Elite status because of the error , to keep it.
That's the kind of equitable treatment of customers that kept me loyal to CO for a very long time.

I know it's not the kind of dealing many might fantasize about UACO's management, and, yes, I know about the legacy UA MM'ers. And, no, I don't believe that even that's a done deal yet. For reasons such as illustrated here.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
IMHO, it is a bad practice to penalize the frequent flyer for this primarily because the numbers posted were not "gamed" by the flyer, instead, it was probably some system error which caused an erroneous count. I don't think the onus should be on the FF to keep track, particularly with different bonus structures for fare classes and different airlines.

Case in point, the UA/CO DEQM... I think that on the website, it does not list the DEQM, but in the summary total, it reflects that. How is one to know when or what was posted if it is not reflected accurately (i.e. itemized in the list)? I'm doing MR's based on those numbers, so it certainly would be upsetting if towards the end of the year, when fares are sky high or time is not available, to make MR's to compensate.

But, it is also our intent to let anyone who earned a higher Elite status because of the error , to keep it. Overriding to a higher status requires some manual intervention on our side to make this work. We're working through this list now, but, it could still take us a couple of days to complete this...

Shannon
Thank you UA Insider for a fair and balanced response ^
Old Dec 11, 2011, 2:15 am

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Hi craigsf, no need to beg or do a mileage run. As you know, we did remove miles from accounts where they were credited in error. But, it is also our intent to let anyone who earned a higher Elite status because of the error , to keep it. Overriding to a higher status requires some manual intervention on our side to make this work. We're working through this list now, but, it could still take us a couple of days to complete this. In the meantime, If you'd like to PM me your OnePass account number, I'll be happy to get this resolved for you sooner.
This is why I'm glad to have changed to UA as my preferred carrier this year. <3
Old Dec 11, 2011, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Daniel-SYD
On the flip side, I agree - CO also made an error which now places the OP in a difficult position close to the end of the year. They should deduct the *QMs but comp the status. That would seem to me to be the fairer middle-ground.
What's the compromise there? Deduct the *QMs? What are those? The compromise would be to deduct the RDMs but keep the status, which sounds fair, and is indeed what they are doing.

Shannon
^
Old Dec 11, 2011, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kcblakely
Says who? You?
Ok - so here's my response. Say we're not talking about mileage, but say this is your bank account. You notice a bank error in your favor, or better yet, a deposit of $100, no, let's go bigger, $5,000, that you know you didn't put in, and no one depoisted for you.This is a random, unknown deposit.

Would you still suggest that you can keep this and have a good conscience?

On another note, Kudos to UA on resolving this issue. Yes, definitely an error to post miles on an award ticket - but definitely the right thing to let the customer keep the status, even if its based on a few miles over.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Ok - so here's my response. Say we're not talking about mileage, but say this is your bank account. You notice a bank error in your favor, or better yet, a deposit of $100, no, let's go bigger, $5,000, that you know you didn't put in, and no one depoisted for you.This is a random, unknown deposit.
My bank hasnt been enhancing me every year like the airlines do

We are talking ~1000 miles here - the equivalent of $10 - and earned because an agent rebooked an award in Y - so hardly unsolicited or unknown. When United gives me $5000 in error - or 500,000 miles - I'll be able to answer part (b) for you.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 9:05 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by emcampbe

Would you still suggest that you can keep this and have a good conscience?
Bad analogy. Let's say instead that your bank charges you a monthly fee unless you have 5K in your account, and the deposit mistake brought you over the 5K for 6 months before they noticed it. Let's say that you just looked at the headline balance and never thought about why it was higher (maybe you have quite a few active bank accounts, and this isn't your primary).

After discovering the error, the bank removes the extra dollars and charges you 6 monthly fees for the time that the error money was bringing you over the threshold.

Does that seem reasonable to you?

Or more to the point, even though banks aren't known as the most customer friendly institution alive, can you imagine any bank doing that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.