Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Elites behaving badly - United Club Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elites behaving badly - United Club Edition

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2012, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by cshulock
This may be off-topic but I have not seen this addressed elsewhere. Are others bothered by the TV sound in the lounges? Few people seem to be watching but meanwhile it can be hard to find a place where you don't hear the TV. I would vote for making half of each club a no-TV zone.
i sometimes go crazy when i go to the LAX RCC and ask for espn or whatever sporting event, and the bartender goes "people are watching the nws." so i respond, "the same channel on all 3 tv!?!?!?"
Old Feb 17, 2012, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by zippypinhead
And sometimes a T shirt and flip flops.
When I interviewed for my current job, I was told: wear jeans and a t-shirt. I couldn't bring myself to a t-shirt, so I wore a slightly dressier shirt.

Everyone I interviewed with: jeans and t-shirt, except my boss, who wore (and usually wears) shorts.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by haddon90
i sometimes go crazy when i go to the LAX RCC and ask for espn or whatever sporting event, and the bartender goes "people are watching the nws." so i respond, "the same channel on all 3 tv!?!?!?"
I generally don't find the TV noise to be too distracting. In general, I just tune out TV and continue to work. The news channels are often the safest to put on. Even if people don't care for it, it's generally not hated. For sports, it's a hit or miss audience depending on the sport itself and the city you're in.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL-PM | UA-1K | HH-Gold
There's only one of the three bartenders at the LAX T7 UC that ever puts up a fuss about changing the TVs. The other two are always happy to do it provided you actually know what channel the game is on so they don't have to hunt for it. Of course, I'm a frequent guest and tip liberally, so perhaps that's a personal experience.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 1:49 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
In ORD yesterday at the B6 Club, there was a guy on the far wall where the computer workstations working on a laptop with headphones on and had set the alarm on his iPhone to go off to remind him of something. When it went off, it was at its LOUDEST possible setting; what's worse, since he had his headphones on, he didn't hear it (but all of us around him did).
Old Feb 21, 2012, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
In ORD yesterday at the B6 Club, there was a guy on the far wall where the computer workstations working on a laptop with headphones on and had set the alarm on his iPhone to go off to remind him of something. When it went off, it was at its LOUDEST possible setting; what's worse, since he had his headphones on, he didn't hear it (but all of us around him did).
I would've taken his phone and chucked it at him to "gently remind him."

There's a B6 lounge at ORD?
Old Feb 21, 2012, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by joshwex90
I would've taken his phone and chucked it at him to "gently remind him."

There's a B6 lounge at ORD?
i believe he meant the club by gate B6.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i believe he meant the club by gate B6.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Jorgen
Well much as I'd love to join in the self-congratulations on how slobbily we all dress, I wanted to point out that the Air Canada forum has a similar thread going on. Not about AC elites behaving badly, but about UA elites behaving badly. (There aren't many stories about AC elites behaving badly; it seems to be the consensus that they don't).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...o-bonkers.html

There's a long thread on whether being an ... who thinks spending an above-average amount of time on aeroplanes makes him a superior person to those who spend less time on aeroplanes is a UA thing, or just an American thing in general.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...yz-flight.html

They can be.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K x6yrs, Ex-AAExecPlat, Delta 360, Mariott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AMEX Centurion, Avis First
GS/1K for years ... since I need little help making reservations, the benefit has been slight ... regardless, the small perks of boarding early, occasionally having separate security lines (frequently the "elite" line is longer than the kettle line) ... looked into lifetime PC membership but couldn't justify the cost when I was getting it for free as a PPElite/Chase PP card holder anyway

The recent changes to PC/UC access privileges has been frustrating for those of us who simply want to get our drink on ... nearly every single time I've tried to go to the IAH E or C UCs I find myself behind some previously-entitled-no-longer-so crew of travellers making us all wait to confirm what the UA CSR said at first "yes, I know you're a AMEX Plat/Prime/Elite/Big [Shot] but you're no longer granted access" ... based on their response I either bring them in with me, or let them do the walk of shame

FWIW - it pretty rare that I see elites behaving badly ... its far more frequent that I see beleaugured /travel weary elites being hassled by fussy/prissy TSA/CSR/FA/GAs and them grinning through the humiliation ... the burden of travelling these days makes these petty requirements aggravating and I can see how mega travellers snap

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 22, 2012 at 4:50 pm Reason: crude language removed
Old Feb 23, 2012, 4:43 am

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
Originally Posted by wazzuFreddo
I get wierd looks because I normaly have steel toed boots on and a hard hat with me. That stuff takes up way too much space in a suitcase so I just wear my boots and carry my hard hat.
And do you stay at the YMCA?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by circitmage
its far more frequent that I see beleaugured /travel weary elites being hassled by fussy/prissy TSA/CSR/FA/GAs and them grinning through the humiliation
Do you really see them grin through the humiliation?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 7:59 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Baze
So today, on a CRJ200. I can hear the whole conversation. A 1K keeps bugging the GA's about departure. We are held up waiting for Air Force 1 to taxi and take off. GA keeps telling him when AF1 leaves we can leave. Mr DYKWIA now demands an aisle exit row seat. Is told aisles are taken but he can have the window. He gruffly says, so move whoever is in the aisle to the window. GA says no. DYKWIA now agrees to take the window and guess what. He is next to me. He gives me the stink eye as though I stole his seat. He then proceeds to read his paper and do puzzles the entire flight jabbing his elbows into me every chance he gets. Yikes, where di this guy learn how to interact with people and where did he get such a sense of entitlement. I politely ask him to stay within the bounds of his own seat with his elbows and knees. He grumbles sorry and keeps doing it. So when we get to our destination and the seatbelt sign goes off he immediately wants to get up. I just sit there. He says gruffly, you getting up? I say, whats the hurry, no place to go yet. He rolls his eyes and grumbles some more. As we are walking to the terminal the person who was sitting behind me goes, who the h*ll does that guy think he is, what a jerk. I just go yup.
Wow, what a jerk! Only made worse by the fact that you were in the Devils Chariot.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA - 1k, Hilton - Diamond, Hertz - 5 Star Gold
Originally Posted by dgdevil
Some reverse snobbery here? I'm sure you're a relatively young, handsome chap and can pull it off. But most others might look silly if they're on the wrong side of 40, carrying some extra pounds and flashing some unsightly legs.

The looks from the others might be of pity at their cabinmate's unfortunate Peter Pan complex (cf cougar on prowl at bar with belly shirt, or someone wearing a rock band t-shirt and you know they couldn't ID a single song by the band).
Huh? So someone 40+ can't wear shorts? No idea where that train of thought is coming from.

A 50 year old fat woman wearing a belly shirt is apples and oranges. If the story I just told was about me wearing a sleeveless t shirt and a short shorts, then sure you could compare the 2.

Originally Posted by Jorgen
Well much as I'd love to join in the self-congratulations on how slobbily we all dress.
Huge different between comfortable/casual and "slobbily".
Old Feb 27, 2012, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, H.H. Gold, Hyatt GP Plat, SPG Gold, Enterprise Plat, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by thach1ef

Huge different between comfortable/casual and "slobbily".
+1

I've always chuckled at the "if you aren't wearing business attire you shouldn't be in F or the lounge" group.

I don't own a suit, I hope I never will. It doesn't make me any less better at what I do for a living or any less/more of a person.

If you think I am a slob because I have jeans and a Manchester United jersey on in F, I don't care to know you anyways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.