Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated GUM connection time and logistics

Old Apr 8, 2023, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

A.B. Won Pat International Airport (GUM)
Main Terminal, POB 8778, Tamuning, Guam 96931

Note: Check-in counters open 3 hours prior to departure time and close 60 minutes prior to departure time in Guam. (Exception: Check-in counter closes 90 minutes prior to departure in Guam to Honolulu)

New UA Club for GUM now open
Print Wikipost

Consolidated GUM connection time and logistics

Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by qasr
Do pax in GUM connecting international-international still need to clear immigration? I know this is the case in general for the US, but not sure if GUM is treated the same.

I have a 35 minute connection and that seems very tight if immigration needs to be cleared. (non-US citizen)
The short answer is yes. I know GUM as a small station will be aware if someone is stuck in immigration and most likely won't slam the door on you like at IAH. However, I can't tell you what procedures there are or whether there's a separate line for the transit immigration check.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 1:52 am

no special line in immigration just broken down into US and non US citizens. After clearing you turn left where a UA rep checks your name off and then you go down the hallway to reclear TSA screening.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 7:40 pm

Hi, am a non American citizen. Is it possible for me to pull off a 1h 35min turnaround in GUM, say on a UA 176 KIX-GUM (dep NRT 1105, arr GUM 1540) connecting to a UA 873 GUM-NRT (dep GUM 1715, arr NRT 2000)?
Old Jun 3, 2013, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
Originally Posted by sporadic
Hi, am a non American citizen. Is it possible for me to pull off a 1h 35min turnaround in GUM, say on a UA 176 KIX-GUM (dep NRT 1105, arr GUM 1540) connecting to a UA 873 GUM-NRT (dep GUM 1715, arr NRT 2000)?
I've done 45-minute connection to clear immigration at GUM. If the inbound is not late and CBP is not busy, you should be fine.

However, I don't think UA can fly you from Japan to Japan via Guam though.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:30 pm

I ran a dummy booking for KIX-GUM-NRT as an "open-jaw" on united.com, which was allowed. I'm actually planning a MEL-GUM (destination)-SIN (stopover)-MEL F award trip though. So I'd just like to confirm the connection time required. Another option would be MEL-SPN (destination)-SIN (stopover)-MEL award with a 1h turnaround in SPN, but I'm just concerned about connection times and checked bags. Also, at GUM, must I pick up my bags and recheck them?
Old Jun 4, 2013, 1:55 am

I ran a dummy booking for KIX-GUM-NRT as an "open-jaw" on united.com, which was allowed. I'm actually planning a MEL-GUM (destination)-SIN (stopover)-MEL F award trip though. So I'd just like to confirm the connection time required. Another option would be MEL-SPN (destination)-SIN (stopover)-MEL award with a 1h turnaround in SPN, but I'm just concerned about connection times and checked bags. Also, at GUM, must I pick up my bags and recheck them?
I did something very similar (though was SPN instead of GUM) and best to stay for 1 night or so. You definitely have to pick up everything and clear everything and re-check in.

Now onto my question - if you're an originating GUM pax in BF what's the latest time you can be at the airport?
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by cloudybw
I've done 45-minute connection to clear immigration at GUM. If the inbound is not late and CBP is not busy, you should be fine.
1540 is a busy time. Tons of Japanese flights arriving. Most everybody going through the GU/MP visa waiver process (non-ESTA, possibly slower that ESTA).

Also, at GUM, must I pick up my bags and recheck them?
Airline policy aside, you must go through US immigration at GUM (unless arriving at HNL). But since Guam has its own customs, bags tagged for onward connections will not be offloaded to the carousel at all.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM,Marriott platinum,ihg spire
Connection to HNL from CNS in GUM

Hi,
Flying on the 12th of july from CNS (australia) via GUM to HNL.
CNS -HNL is on UA 99 arriving at GUM at 5:25 AM.
HNL is on UA 396 departing at GUM at 6:35 AM.

Both flights are in R Class.

Will i have enough time at GUM to clear immigration and get on the HNL flight ?

Thx
Old Jul 7, 2013, 8:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by erwin123
Hi,
Flying on the 12th of july from CNS (australia) via GUM to HNL.
CNS -HNL is on UA 99 arriving at GUM at 5:25 AM.
HNL is on UA 396 departing at GUM at 6:35 AM.

Both flights are in R Class.

Will i have enough time at GUM to clear immigration and get on the HNL flight ?

Thx
It will be tight (but feasible) since you will have to go though US Immigration in GUM. The GUM agents are good about tracking things and may help expedite you.

Is HNL your final destination? If not you may want to consider routing via NRT rather than HNL. Many ex-GUM destinations price the same regardless of a connection in HNL or NRT.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM,Marriott platinum,ihg spire
Hi,
Looking at flight tracker, last 5 flights all arrived before 5 AM.

Hnl is a stopover on my way back to europe.

Erwin
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
1.55am to 7.10am in GUM?

I am thinking about booking a connection in GUM... NRT-GUM-HNL

Arrival from NRT at 1.55am
Departing to HNL at 7.10am

I know that the United Club supposedly opens at 3am.

After my 1.55am arrival, I'll have to go through customs and immigration. After that, will airport security still be open to let me back airside? I figure by the time I clear customs and immigration the United Club will be open.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:16 pm

It was open around 3 last time I was there, so I would guess so... no queues then by the way.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by warreng24
I am thinking about booking a connection in GUM... NRT-GUM-HNL

Arrival from NRT at 1.55am
Departing to HNL at 7.10am

I know that the United Club supposedly opens at 3am.

After my 1.55am arrival, I'll have to go through customs and immigration. After that, will airport security still be open to let me back airside? I figure by the time I clear customs and immigration the United Club will be open.
With your HNL BP, you may be able to "transit"--walk from immigration directly to your "gate" (the preclearance "hall").

3 am? Well it must be the new Star Alliance/United reality. The Presidents Club used to open at 1 am. There are plenty of flights leaving between 2 and 5 am to Japan and Korea. But since DL has a lounge, nobody needs UA now.

So yes, TSA will be open. The only time frame GUM doesn't have any departures is between 8 pm and 2 am.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 8:44 am

DL has a lounge? I only recall a UA club and a contract lounge..
Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:13 am

It's actually the Sagan Bisita Lounge built by DL and LSG that opened in December 2009 for everyone else other than CS>CO>UA, necessitated by CO leaving SkyTeam: http://www.guamairport.com/archived/1990

I bought DL's 30-day pass in summer 2009, had a 3 am KE flight, checked in shortly after midnight, and remember waiting for the CO PC to open at 1 am. That was after DL/NW merged corporately, and CO was already scheduled to leave ST in the fall.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.