Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

AMEX buying US Airways Club Memberships to get Plat cardholders into *A lounges?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX buying US Airways Club Memberships to get Plat cardholders into *A lounges?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2011, 1:17 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by globetraveler
... the CO loss was unexpected ...
I doubt this is true, and I don't see why it would be important. American Express knew that Chase was the issuer of both they CO and UA affinity credit cards, and they knew that Chase is aggressive is seeking exclusive arrangements.

It will be interesting to see how long American Express maintains the new level of benefits without raising the annual fee.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 2:56 pm

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
For anyone who took the offer: how long before you received the package in the mail?
Old Nov 25, 2011, 6:20 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Called back again today as the primary cardholder on a Centurion account and the representative said that they had already sent a membership out back in September. Obviously we haven't received anything on this end otherwise I wouldn't have called, but she said she would make sure that a replacement membership kit goes out first thing next week.

I also inquired about getting this for additional cardholders and she said that while it was for primary cardholders only, she would submit the request to a supervisor to get at least 1 more membership added out of the 3 supplementary cards we have.

Frankly I think it's absolutely stupid that we pay a substantial annual fee for additional cards that also experienced the same loss of CO lounge access as the primary card did, yet Amex feels it reasonable to only offer one membership per account as a replacement for CO access.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 6:34 pm

Programs: United 2 million lifetime Marriott Titanium LiCo Plat Hertz Plat spg plat former Co Chairmans Circle
switching from Chase to AMEX

Chase and Continental have been getting very greedy and they are taking away many of the benefits of the Pres Plat card. 1000 Flex miles were obtained after $5000 dollars spent and now they can not be used above their platnium theshold on the airline. As a person who charges over $500,000 a year formally on my Chase card, I have found that the new gold card from AMEX is far superior as these flex miles are now no good to me...AMEX has triple miles on airline purchases and other double mile benefits and I am sorry to have to cancel my Chase card but they need to look at their most frequent spenders
Old Nov 25, 2011, 7:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What's the $ Spend

*A is a reimbursement system. When a US card is used at another *A club, US reimburses that carrier $X. I suspect here that part of the deal is that Amex eats part of that $X. To make it worthwhile, I presume that Amex is looking at the $ spend on the card because that + fee is how Amex makes its money.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
*A is a reimbursement system. When a US card is used at another *A club, US reimburses that carrier $X. I suspect here that part of the deal is that Amex eats part of that $X. To make it worthwhile, I presume that Amex is looking at the $ spend on the card because that + fee is how Amex makes its money.
I believe that COUA and US have a different agreement - full reciprocity.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by mbreuer
For anyone who took the offer: how long before you received the package in the mail?
I haven't got it yet (about a month later). Will need to follow up with them next week.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, SPG Plat
I got this offer back in May (May 25th to be exact) and have been happily using this benefit. Since I only have another 6 months left on this, I'd be curious to see what happens.

My annual fee is due this month, so I might have some leverage on that.

Quick update: Called AMEX and they offered me 50K MR points to stay. I accepted. Combining that with the $200 fee, extended warranty (used it for a $230 lens) and some other charges, I'm still sticking with the card.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 26, 2011 at 3:08 pm Reason: merge
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Gold, UA Premier Executive, Marriott Gold, Priority Club Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
Got the card in the mail

I got the club membership packet from US Airways, I was surprised to see AMEX drop literature in it, that has me thinking that this AMEX/US Airways relationship is a little more involved, hopefully they are testing it out to continue it as an ongoing benefit if CO/UA/*A don’t raise heck.

It took about 3 full weeks from the phone call to get the card in the mail
Old Dec 19, 2011, 1:42 am

Programs: United 1K, Starwood Platinum
Is the offer still live?

Anyone know if the deal is still live? I called Amex and they seemed clueless...
Old Dec 19, 2011, 7:11 am

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9700; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.668 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by flydrha
Anyone know if the deal is still live? I called Amex and they seemed clueless...
If you didn't, I'd try calling during normal business hours. I was transferred to someone in marketing (I think). I doubt they're in outside of 9-5 m-f est.

Also - still waiting - called, they said I should have received the package and will follow up within 3 days.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:04 am

Programs: many
Strike out here? Phone rep told me there is no such offer or service. The same rep couldnt get my spend totals correct either versus what is clearly on my account statements, so I dont have a lot of faith in that one.

I would appreciate some advice on what's the best way to try and acquire this. Best to call back, SM, or ?
Thank you.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:40 am

Programs: Amex FHR elite travel agent, Ritz Stars, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons Preferred Partner and others
Originally Posted by mbreuer
Took about 3 weeks for me to receive the package. Annoyingly the membership starts on day one, not when you receive the card.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:07 am

It makes much more sense to get AMex PLT. I will upgrade it to PLT next month. Also, it looks like I made the right choice of not renewing the US Club membership a few months ago.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:14 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
I will upgrade it to PLT next month.
This is not a published benefit of the Platinum Card. I would be surprised if American Express would offer this to "new" Platinum card accounts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.