Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

AMEX buying US Airways Club Memberships to get Plat cardholders into *A lounges?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX buying US Airways Club Memberships to get Plat cardholders into *A lounges?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2011, 12:27 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Santander
They're talking about Amex Platinum... i.e. the one with the gladiator on it.
...and the $450 annual fee. This is most likely a tightly targeted pilot program, not a standard benefit which will be extended to one million cardholders. American Express and US Airways will want to see how many partner lounge visits it generates versus card transaction volume and incremental business for US Airways.

Last edited by mia; Nov 9, 2011 at 3:12 pm Reason: Dropped word
Old Nov 9, 2011, 12:34 pm

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Originally Posted by travel.flier
What kind of AMEX card do you have to have? I think I have a HHonors Amex Platinum card - I would love a free membership
This one: http://www.americanexpress.com/platinum
Old Nov 9, 2011, 2:43 pm
RNE

I'll keep my Presidential Plus card at the grandfathered rate of $375/year.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, UA 1P
I tried calling the Customer Service Line but the CSR said that this promotion was through marketing and couldn't directly apply the promo to my account. Anyone have a bonus code or some sort of direct line to marketing? I tried getting her to transfer me but no dice. Arghhh... :T
Old Nov 9, 2011, 10:18 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Interesting. I just called Plat CS and they said it's exclusively for Centurion cards and only for the primary cardmember. The rep wasn't able to help much more since there were no supervisors available, but she said to call Centurion CS in the morning and they should be able to take care of it.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 9:04 am

Called Centurion Customer Service and had a lengthy and difficult conversation. Told my request would be "submitted" to some other group at AMEX and I should follow up in 7-10 days to see if I could be offered this benefit. They didn't like my question about what other "secret" promotions there might be....
Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, NYC MTA Gold, AA EXP
I called the Plat CS line and no avail. Urgh!
Old Nov 10, 2011, 1:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
If I had to guess, Amex is paying less than $60 / year for this benefit.

My reasoning...

If you are a lifetime US Airways club member (no longer sold) you get the UA/CO add-on by paying US $60 / year.

Since Amex Plat members already get access to US Clubs any time they want without flying them along with 2 guests, they pretty much have a standard US Air Club membership minus the UA/CO and *G clubs.

Too bad I put all my flights on my US Airways CC so Amex will never see the UA tickets I buy. Fortunately, I fly enough on US that US gives me free club membership with UA/CO access already that I do not need the Amex add-on.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 8:38 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I also got it

About one month ago I called Platinum services - my card is due for renewal this month and I called inquiring what if any programs may be coming up to replace the loss of the CO/UA clubs - told him that was my reason for obtaining the card in the first place and was thinking of switching to the PP card. He went through my records and noticed that I was from the NYC area, had just transferred 300,000 MR points to my CO account and had charged quite a few expensive CO tickets to the card as well as other significant expenses. He told me the promotion was geared toward cardholders in the NYC and Houston (CO hubs) areas who demonstrated a preference for CO.

I got my U.S. Airways club card about two weeks ago - if you are expecting one BE CAREFUL - it looks like junk mail. Inside is promotional material from AMEX thanking me for being a loyal card holder.

The promotional materials that came with the card clearly state "access to over 250 clubs worldwide. Enjoy any of the US Airways Clubs, Continental's Presidential Clubs, United's Red Carpet Clubs and Star Alliance lounges" The valid thru date is exactly one year past the date I spoke to Amex. It also includes my DM number, where I have more than 250,000 miles sitting in my account.

Last edited by gnomie; Nov 10, 2011 at 9:05 pm Reason: added additional information
Old Nov 10, 2011, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold;DL GM
Got this offer in the Summer 2011

Originally Posted by brosnan6
Interesting. I just called Plat CS and they said it's exclusively for Centurion cards and only for the primary cardmember. The rep wasn't able to help much more since there were no supervisors available, but she said to call Centurion CS in the morning and they should be able to take care of it.
I am shocked that this is new information.

In June, I called Amex Plat Cust service to cancel the card since CO access was about to be dropped on Sept 30. When you do that, you are transferred to the Retention or Cancellation department, known at Amex as "Membership Consulting"(MC). There, to my surprise, they made me the unsolicited offer to get a one year free US Airways Club membership, which as stated many times above, is good at all UA/CO clubs, all the time.

I don't think regular Amex Cust Service can offer you this deal. You are not obligated to cancel your card just because you are transferred to MC, so just ask them. Was a very smooth transaction. Since you still qualify for $200 yearly on airline incidentals, it really brings down the true cost of the Amex Platinum. Also works like a charm at all the UA/CO clubs I have visited since Oct 1. For the US clubs you can use it or the Amex Plat!
Old Nov 12, 2011, 9:14 am

interesting development
Old Nov 12, 2011, 9:29 am

OP noted that they specifically mentioned his CO transfer in the call. I wonder if maybe this is how they are targeting people -- assuming those who transferred points to CO are those who are most likely to be upset by the loss of UACO lounges.

While everyone has the card for different reasons, lounge access is probably the single most important feature for retention and annual fees.

It seems Amex is feeling the pinch from Chase. Sapphire has largely undermined Gold's 3x, 2x structure, and MR points are losing their luster anyway, with the only remaining North America *A carrier now apparently charging fuel taxes on reward redemptions. Influential bloggers are talking about PRG becoming their groceries only card.

It's kind of nice to see Amex punching back, even on a limited or targeted basis. The more these two fight it out, the better for us!
Old Nov 12, 2011, 10:02 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
I didn't do any transfers - but have purchased CO tickets on Amex using points for purchase. COUA is also the airline designated for the $200 credit. The person I spoke with did make reference to my home address in central NJ as relevant.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 10:28 am

Programs: Amex FHR elite travel agent, Ritz Stars, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons Preferred Partner and others
I called retention today saying I was thinking about canceling the card due to losing the lounge benefit with Continental. He said I could use the $200 benefit etc., then I mentioned a friend had received the offer of US Airways membership and he told me he could offer that to me if I kept the card. He did mention this is for 1 year only and that I would have to pay for the lounge access after that year.

My billing address is in Boston so I don't think that factored into the decision and he didn't seem to review any CO/UA charges to my account (though I do have them).

I was going to cancel the card so this will definitely keep me around for another year.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, NYC MTA Gold, AA EXP
When I called again and "threaten" to cancel my card I was transferred to the retention department and was offered A) US Airways Club membership for 1 year or B) 50K MR points or C) $400 credit. I ended up taking 50K MR points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.