Wiki Posts
Search

Is Premier Gold Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:08 am

Programs: United-1k, Marriott-Lifetime Plat
United Silver to United Gold

Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening-

I am United Premiere Silver travelling on business and pleasure. I am going to be just under 8k short of United Gold at end of the year. I am thinking of doing a mileage run SFO-EWR-BQN-EWR-SFO. It would put me above 50k and into United Gold.

I am trying to inquire if upgrades are that much more successful in Gold. I fly out of COS and DEN. I know about the 2nd bag free (Maybe 3rd?) and E+ at purchase. Is there anything else that's worth it.

Basically is the difference between UA Gold and UA Silver worth $350?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
The big difference in my book is access to *A lounges - a huge value, since 95% of my itineraries are international. However, this may not be such a big thing for you.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:16 am

I often complete around 2 International trips per year. It would be a nice touch. I definitely agree but I am afraid I would not be able to access it as much as I would like to.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...old-worth.html
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bwg03
I often complete around 2 International trips per year. It would be a nice touch. I definitely agree but I am afraid I would not be able to access it as much as I would like to.
Three bags free on UA - two/three on *A carriers
Increase in RDM bonus from 25% to 50%
Much more potential for upgrades, especially out of COS if on mainline.
For DEN, you are still fighting with many other Elites/Plats/1Ks, but not
as many as say, ORD/IAH.
E+ at booking, along with companions.
Companion upgrade availability
*G benefits across all carriers (security, check-in, etc)
Free SDC changes
Smaller award change and close-in fees

Worth $350.

Last edited by aacharya; Oct 15, 2012 at 10:31 am
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:41 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by aacharya
as many as say, ORD/IAH.
Free SDC changes

Worth $350.
Seconded, if not for increased upgrades alone. I went from being near mid to bottom of the list, to consistently near/at the top even from flying hubs IAH and ORD on rock bottom fares. And if you ever wanted to lug 240 lbs of luggage with you...

You'll see the most benefits for international, however, which is mostly my pattern, though if you're using most of the United lounges in the States, you're honestly not missing that mych. A nice, unofficial perk for *G is "preferred" economy seats on some of the other Star Gold airlines from time to time such as AC, ANZ, etc.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
To me, the only meaningful benefits are:

1. E+ at booking if you fly in Y.
2. *G club access overseas.

As to UG's, because Gold is the 2nd tier from the bottom of a 5-tier system, unless you are flying elite-light routes, don't expect your CPU % to go up substantially and similarly if you fly on Y/B-UP fares now, your UG% won't increase much from Silver.

On elite-heavy routes such as TCON, it's rare for Gold CPU's because those flights often go out with GS in steerage.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:44 am

as many as say, ORD/IAH.
Free SDC changes

Worth $350.
I think you're right. It is indeed worth it. That MR will be torture being in the back. I will get an E+ seat. For my international trips it will make a huge difference. For someone who brings their golf clubs on trips with them to a lot of business meetings/trips it is also worth it ($50 per trip).

Anything I am missing?
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
To me, the only meaningful benefits are:

1. E+ at booking if you fly in Y.
2. *G club access overseas.

As to UG's, because Gold is the 2nd tier from the bottom of a 5-tier system, unless you are flying elite-light routes, don't expect your CPU % to go up substantially and similarly if you fly on Y/B-UP fares now, your UG% won't increase much from Silver.

On elite-heavy routes such as TCON, it's rare for Gold CPU's because those flights often go out with GS in steerage.
The OP is flying out from DEN/COS, not DCA/IAD like yourself. Let's keep that in mind.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bwg03
I think you're right. It is indeed worth it. That MR will be torture being in the back. I will get an E+ seat. For my international trips it will make a huge difference. For someone who brings their golf clubs on trips with them to a lot of business meetings/trips it is also worth it ($50 per trip).

Anything I am missing?
Don't pay for E+ - just get it at T-24. Since it's an MR, you can pick E+ for the whole flight then.

Actually, your golf clubs would be $70, since you already get a free bag as Silver. The 2nd bag (golf) is $35 each way.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:00 am

Don't pay for E+ - just get it at T-24. Since it's an MR, you can pick E+ for the whole flight then.

Actually, your golf clubs would be $70, since you already get a free bag as Silver. The 2nd bag (golf) is $35 each way.
Good Point. I forgot about that. It would be nice to not have to scrunch everything in a carry on bag either.

I think this MR for $350 is worth it. I will wait to get E+ when the T-24 allows me to do so. This would also save me $70 on my reward ticket to Hawaii for Christmas..
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:22 am

Programs: Platinum
Don't forget access to US customer service agents. With all the schedule changes and IRROPs, an American agent is a huge benefit.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: UA
To me, the *G lounge access alone worth it, as I have lot of int'l flights.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:38 am

Programs: UA-Plat AS-MVPG
Originally Posted by frankmu
Don't forget access to US customer service agents. With all the schedule changes and IRROPs, an American agent is a huge benefit.
I always feel bad when a casual traveler without access to the premer phone agents overhears me rebook quickly and just walk up to a machine and have it spit out a new ticket for the next flight.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by wazzuFreddo
I always feel bad when a casual traveler overhears me rebook on the phone quickly and just walk up to a machine and have it spit out a new ticket for the next flight.
So it saves a lot of time? I am unfamiliar as I have only done it on silver and had to wait in lines.. Terrible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.