Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Premier Gold Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2011, 1:35 pm

I've been Gold for several years know and I would say it makes a huge difference, especially if you fly internationally.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 1:59 pm

Programs: UACO Plat/1K, DL Plat, Hertz 5*, Avis - PC, SPG Gold, Colorado Pass
Originally Posted by wcalvert
The problem is that I'm getting 11,290 EQMs from TK, which evidently take a few weeks to post and there would only be 16 days between my Turkey trip and the London "Go for the Gold" extended weekend trip.
I've flown TK a few times this year and they've posted pretty quickly when crediting to my OP account. I would say few days depending on the day of the week. For example, when taking a flight on 09OCT, my activity was posted on 11OCT. However, flying on 13OCT, my activity was posted on the following Monday, 17OCT or 18OCT. I guess YMMV.

Originally Posted by MBM3
I've been Gold for several years know and I would say it makes a huge difference, especially if you fly internationally.
Having flown a few flights internationally on different *alliance partners, they value that Gold card. I mean, if you don't have the card, you're not getting in. I was even asked for my *G card at the UC at HKG. I'm not sure they (*partners) value anything else but that *G card.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

I don't think I'll be flying much internationally next year, so it's probably not worth it to me. I'll just have to sweat out another year of silver and maybe make it to gold next year.

On a positive note, even with my meager silver status I've been upgraded to first class on my last two flights. ^
Old Oct 26, 2011, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by longhorn59
I don't think I'll be flying much internationally next year, so it's probably not worth it to me. I'll just have to sweat out another year of silver and maybe make it to gold next year.

On a positive note, even with my meager silver status I've been upgraded to first class on my last two flights. ^
Nice! What routes/day of the week/time of the day?
Old Oct 26, 2011, 6:27 pm

Programs: their are many of them
Yes it is worth if for no other reason the status of being Star Gold and being able to use the lounges on intl flights
Old Oct 26, 2011, 8:21 pm

Programs: Lost count
I am seriously considering to send some of my miles to Aegean to get gold status there. Then use that card to gain domestic lounge access.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wcalvert
Nice! What routes/day of the week/time of the day?
IAH > CLE 6:55PM on Monday.
CLE > IAH 5:50PM on Friday.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 9:52 pm

Interesting. I've never flown to the hublet before, but I've seen on FT lately that those flights are typically very full.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 4:33 am

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Originally Posted by aacharya
Ignore the posters who crow about "three tiers above you". That's just ranting without thinking. So what if there was only Gold and Platinum? There would be only one tier above you, with just a lot more people. Doesn't impact you in the slightest that there is Plat, 1K and GS above you versus only Plat.

The loss of miles is huge though.

Not worth $500 if you ask me, if you can get a PPlus credit card for free first year for $300 something. What is worth it is a quick MR under $300 to put you over.
You are very incorrect. Now having the Platinum tier puts a platinum who used to be Premiere Exec. On a lower fare ahead of you on the upgrade list. Not that they do nt deserve it....just making the observation
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:38 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Impressive. I have yet to score the 5:50PM CLE->IAH as either a Silver or Gold.

Now that I'm a plat, I have no future bookings on that flight. Alas.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 4:35 pm

Programs: *gold, SPG Platinum, Amex Centurian, IHG Royal whatever, Emerald one world whatever
do you buy it or do you not?

I have a question (excuse me if I posted in the wrong area..please move if so!). I missed my Premier Exec by a whopping 10K last year and ended my status as a new Silver Premier. Got an email this morning that said that I can purchase the missing miles to get up to the Premier Exec level by purchasing the miles I was short. It comes to 10,000 = $1600 USD. I know that the cost per mile doesnt make sense but I have a chance to sitting in some of the lounges as well as Eco plus on booking etc. I dont have $1600 to throw around really but my question is, is it worth it? I fly about 7 times a year only and will never make it on segments since my trips are to the left coast or Tokyo. If I pay more attention, I can make the Premier exec this year since I flew on about 3 round trip companion passes for UA or HA. thoughts?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 26, 2012 at 5:50 pm Reason: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#q63
Old Jan 26, 2012, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Mods -- maybe it's time to begin a consolidated "should I buy up to the next status level" thread?

OP -- to answer your question (I like to try to be productive ) -- I have no idea. It generally depends on how much you plan to fly next year. For 7 trips a year, I would say it's probably not worth the $1600. Both E+ and lounge access can be bought for far less than $1600.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 4:52 pm

Programs: American Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by daboogah
... I dont have $1600 to throw around really ...
Short answer: No. Lounges, status, upgrades, etc., (in my opinion) were never meant to be bank breakers. If you don't fly that much a year (once every 1.7 months is not much), you'll find much more uses for that $1600 throughout the year.

Furthermore, if you do end up coming close to Gold Premier, that $1600 will come in handy to schedule a MR or two and reach status.

As always, YMMV.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 4:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by GBadger
Mods -- maybe it's time to begin a consolidated "should I buy up to the next status level" thread?....
here is a start on one
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...t-2012-1k.html
Old Jan 26, 2012, 5:23 pm

Programs: Switched from UA 1K to AA so I could earn EQD's on partners. Mid-tier on most major hotel programs.
No way do I think it's worth it. You can buy annual economy plus if you really want to, and you can also buy occasional lounge access if you have a long stop. Back when gold gave you +100% RDM vs. +25% for silver that would have been a significant consideration (although it still likely wouldn't have been worth it), but now those additional miles also just don't come nearly close enough to move the needle imo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.