Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the "United Club" worth it for 2012?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2011, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
It might be an interesting addition to this thread to post what other Star Alliance airlines charge for their (reciprocal) lounge memberships @:-). And if any still offer lifetime membership. Such would also provide USAir lounge privileges all the time.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Originally Posted by Firewind
It might be an interesting addition to this thread to post what other Star Alliance airlines charge for their (reciprocal) lounge memberships @:-). And if any still offer lifetime membership. Such would also provide USAir lounge privileges all the time.
The grass is not greener, except at US:

US Airways Club: $450 + $50 initiation fee
United Club: $475 + $50 initiation fee (reduced fees for Premiers)
AC Maple Leaf Lounge Worldwide: $624 (649 CAD)

These memberships or day passes don't offer Star Lounge access:

NZ Koru Lounge: $396 + $199 joining fee (506 NZD + 255 NZD)
Austrian Lounge: $45 per visit (35 EUR)
Brussels Lounge: $19 per visit (15 EUR); Brussels airport only
Asiana Lounge: $27 per visit (30k KRW)
South African Airways Baobab BCL: SAA/NEDBANK Platinum Credit Card holder

These airlines don't offer any ability to get into a lounge other than F/J class, *G level status, or (maybe) Priority Pass/Airport ANgel:
Adria, Aegean, ANA, BMI, blue 1, SAS, Egyptair (unclear), Ethiopian, LOT Polish, Singapore, Spanair, Thai, TAP Portugal (unclear), Croatia, TAM (takes Airport Angel)

Things I learned making this list:
  • The Air China lounge in "Australia" (it's Sydney, but their lounge finder never clarifies that) claims to have a live jazz band on certain days
  • LOT Polish Airlines uses the same stock art of a woman in an airport on her cell phone as the Flyertalk "archived" thread view you get from Google searches

Please feel free to PM me any corrections.

The deal breaker for me with Priority Pass is the price for guests. I have a US Airways Club spouse membership, and in the past Mrs Joshua came in for free with me. Buying another full membership (or paying $27 when travelling together) would cost a lot more than renewing the USC or joining the UC.

Last edited by Joshua; Dec 14, 2011 at 4:40 pm Reason: Added list of *A airlines and lounge memberships
Old Dec 14, 2011, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Joshua
The grass is not greener, except at US:

AC Maple Leaf Lounge Worldwide: $624 (649 CAD)
I'd gladly pay the extra 100-200 AC fee difference if domestic united lounges had similar food and alcohol offerings. (Not to say AC has great food in all lounges, but you can have a reasonable meal there.)
Old Dec 14, 2011, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Thanks, Joshua, and especially on top of my laziness in not doing the research. To your, "difficult to use," ...was I wrong that they all offer reciprocal privileges?

And I think bmi's DC gives lounge privileges at the first earned level - Silver? Blue? - in their lounges. It's been a while for me, since they stopped serving LHR to near-Europe.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Thanks, Joshua, and especially on top of my laziness in not doing the research. To your, "difficult to use," ...was I wrong that they all offer reciprocal privileges?

And I think bmi's DC gives lounge privileges at the first earned level - Silver? Blue? - in their lounges. It's been a while for me, since they stopped serving LHR to near-Europe.
NZ Koru Lounge doesn't seem to be "Star Lounge", although it offers access to a number of worldwide lounges. Koru is an odd product that is a combination of what we would know as Premier Access, United Club, and Premier Executive/Gold Elite.

The topic of FFs whose Silver level programme allows lounge access is a worthy topic for a thread or FAQ topic in the *A forum about lounge access. I believe bmi's FF programme is undergoing a lot of changes right now?

Originally Posted by okrogius
I'd gladly pay the extra 100-200 AC fee difference if domestic united lounges had similar food and alcohol offerings. (Not to say AC has great food in all lounges, but you can have a reasonable meal there.)
Unfortunately, presenting an MLL Worldwide card doesn't instantly upgrade the food in the USC or allow you access to a special room with soup and salad. I would be glad to pay an extra $100 - $200 for better food. I'd save it in not having to buy crummy airport fast food.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Joshua
NZ Koru Lounge doesn't seem to be "Star Lounge", although it offers access to a number of worldwide lounges. Koru is an odd product that is a combination of what we would know as Premier Access, United Club, and Premier Executive/Gold Elite.

The topic of FFs whose Silver level programme allows lounge access is a worthy topic for a thread or FAQ topic in the *A forum about lounge access. I believe bmi's FF programme is undergoing a lot of changes right now? ...
Thanks again, Joshua. And, no, the bit about the bmi DC was meant as a footnote about a variation on the theme and, as bmi/LH entere is a bit helter skelter nowadays, likely obsolete.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Intrepid
I found value in the membership during irregular operations.

Yesterday(Wedndsday) I changed my mind:
ORD was hell post messy Tuesday rain storms.
I entered the RCC next to Conc F gate 2 at 12:59PM. There were customers in line by the counter. The matron looked at me obliquely - a "dirty look" - and announced loudly: "There is no more space in this lounge. Try to walk to lounges in Conc B."
I sensed nothing but anger and hostility.
I did what I was told - got out of this lounge.
Thank you United!
I came into this thread specifically due to a similar experience at the ORD F gate UC last week. I was let inside, but there was no point to being there. Every seat taken, could not even make it to the bar for a drink. Standing in the corner, I could not get my iPad to log onto the wifi. I bolted for the relative quiet of the gate area.

No weather in the area that day, just normal ORD afternoon operations on a Monday.

The dragons were not necessarily rude, but just said to every customer "We know it is crowded. Write United to complain." Seriously, it could have been on a tape recorded. Over and over, exact same words.

With half of United flights now actually flown by Express, this pathetic lounge, along with the NO LOUNGE at IAD Express gates (AKA - the Hell Gates), I am seriously questioning a once automatic renewal.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 5:17 pm

Thanks again, Joshua. And, no, the bit about the bmi DC was meant as a footnote about a variation on the theme and, as bmi/LH entere is a bit helter skelter nowadays, likely obsolete.
It might be fair to compare A3 Gold with UA Premier/CO Silver. The amount of flying needed on US carriers to get some status on some of the European programmes is absurdly low.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Did anyone try calculating your non-covered (non *G) usage of United Club?

To me, UC is basically a scam.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 3:53 am

Programs: United/ Star Alliance Gold
The customer service alone is worth it. Last year, my wife and I were headed to Hawaii. I don't even remember our original itinerary, but we noticed there was an earlier direct flight to Kuaui. Stopped at the RCC (now UC), asked if there was space available. 5 minutes later we had an earlier, direct flight, with the UDU I figured would never come through.

My current home airport doesn't have a Club, but I still just renewed because domestically it's worth it for those small benefits. And the 'free' trail mix.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 4:52 pm

I usually hate to resurrect old threads but I never flew much but enjoyed the Pres Club lounges. Usually bought 3 year memberships just for the comfort prior to my flight (fly out of ERW and occasionallty JFK or LGA). When I turned 62 bought lifetime for the both of us because we had a home in Bonita Springs, FL and would be flying back and forth between our 2 homes.

TSA took the space of the "new" Pres Club in RSW and ruined that dream... Still we arrive 2 hours prior to any flights and use the club to relax. Hopefully will be able to use some lounge in JNB for our trip in April.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Silver, Best West Gold, United Gold
Originally Posted by dssxxxx
I usually hate to resurrect old threads but I never flew much but enjoyed the Pres Club lounges. Usually bought 3 year memberships just for the comfort prior to my flight (fly out of ERW and occasionallty JFK or LGA). When I turned 62 bought lifetime for the both of us because we had a home in Bonita Springs, FL and would be flying back and forth between our 2 homes.

TSA took the space of the "new" Pres Club in RSW and ruined that dream... Still we arrive 2 hours prior to any flights and use the club to relax. Hopefully will be able to use some lounge in JNB for our trip in April.
I am glad you bought the lifetime plan. It has been discontinued and the few of us that have a lifetime pass to any lounge are reaping the benefits.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:59 pm

Programs: AAP Gold, *A Gold, Marriott Rewargds, Qantas FF, United Club
For what it's worth, I've found the United Club card to be pretty good.

I purchased it late last year for $500US. On a recent trip from Brisbane to LA (via Auckland) with Air NZ, I was able to access all Koru Club lounges in BNE, LA and AKL (4 times in total).

I've confirmed that I will have the same privileges with SingAir and Thai Airways when I travel to Asia (which i do 2-3 times a year).

After spending 4 years of frequent travel without lounge access, this membership is great. But I guess after 4 years, I'd be grateful for ANY lounge access, right?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by darksidesith
I am glad you bought the lifetime plan. It has been discontinued and the few of us that have a lifetime pass to any lounge are reaping the benefits.
I remember that my father got a lifetime around the late 70's or early 80's and it was $1500 for both husband and wife. Since we had the same name, I would "borrow" it a lot....... As I got older, I did not want to take the chance of getting caught and started buying the 3 year memberships. He used his mainly for trips from EWR to FLL.

When I turned 62 (3 years ago) if was about $4900.00 for lifetime for myself and wife. She travels quite a bit and likes the idea of bringing in a guest and her business (if she requests it) will give her 1 pass each way for herself in the lounges. Now for the last 3 years, if she has 2 friends traveling with her she can get them both into the clubs.

Hope I have many years of use and of course, I know my wife will since she's 10 years younger......
Old Feb 3, 2012, 9:22 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I've found the United Club membership to be useful, mostly from the perspective of finding a more comfortable and generally more quiet place to sit and relax for a little while. Tea, beer, snacks are always welcome, although the snack selection is a bit weaker than it used to be, and heaven forbid they transition all the teas to Lipton, as I saw last week at the ORD C16 lounge. Since I got the membership in October, I've used club access at least 20 times. I expect to use it many more times in the coming year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.