Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Seat 1A re-assignment issues on UA widebodies / long haul

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2022, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P

Went to check in for my flight tomorrow to London -- have had seat 1A for a long time, and before that 5A -- at check my seat was changed to 1F -- called the GS line and they could do nothing -- in fact my call to them for an explanation has resulted in me speaking with three agents who all knew NOTHING -- they all said it was probably broken or crew rest....

Totally get it if it’s a pilot - but in the past seat 1A wouldn’t even have been available to select if that was the case….

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Nov 1, 2022 at 8:53 am
Old Oct 31, 2022, 9:50 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DYKWIA!?!
Old Oct 31, 2022, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ari
DYKWIA!?!
Apparently not....
Ari, wrp96 and tcdtcd like this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 9:56 pm

Programs: United Premier 1k, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Apparently not....
It could be another GS that spends way more than you and UA knows exactly who both of you are...
Markie, FAA1996, bmwe92fan and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mike2003242
It could be another GS that spends way more than you and UA knows exactly who both of you are...
Very true -- but in all the years I've spent $200k I've never been offered a chance to boot someone else out of a seat -- of course it could be Mr. Pillows or Tom -- but I really doubt it as they would have told me....
Spanish likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 10:07 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Isn’t 1A crew rest? At least for us ORD-based travelers, 1A is never available for selection. They must have needed it for an augmented crew.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by United747
Isn’t 1A crew rest? At least for us ORD-based travelers, 1A is never available for selection. They must have needed it for an augmented crew.
I suppose if something unusual happened that's possible -- but I fly this route monthly and have seat 1A all the time with no issues.... A quick look at EVERY flight from EWR to LHR tomorrow shows no 1A blocks....
Old Oct 31, 2022, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Maybe tell them you drive a M3 and expect at minimum the same level of service as the dealership gives you?😄🤙
bmwe92fan and Spanish like this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 10:20 pm

1A is also a natural habitat of the Federal Air Marshal.
94010flyer, st530, Spanish and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 10:20 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
I suppose if something unusual happened that's possible -- but I fly this route monthly and have seat 1A all the time with no issues.... A quick look at EVERY flight from EWR to LHR tomorrow shows no 1A blocks....
Quick glance at ExpertFlyer shows 1A blocked on all flights tomorrow (11/1). Must be winds or something?

Of course, United should have a mechanism to alert you of this. But I’m guessing front line CSRs aren’t trained on this info and where to find it
Old Oct 31, 2022, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
1A is always backup for pilots. Do not EVER book 1A as you will get kicked. FAM is not 1A.

You have been lucky they did not kick you out of that seat and pilots have not needed it.

Lesson learned for ya
Old Oct 31, 2022, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
1A is always backup for pilots. Do not EVER book 1A as you will get kicked. FAM is not 1A.

You have been lucky they did not kick you out of that seat and pilots have not needed it.

Lesson learned for ya
No - it's not -- on my flights to NRT 1A & 1D are interchangeable -- just depends on plane / crew rest needs.... I've flown 1A this year to LHR over 10 times -- this isn't the reason....
Dyce likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
No - it's not -- on my flights to NRT 1A & 1D are interchangeable -- just depends on plane / crew rest needs.... I've flown 1A this year to LHR over 10 times -- this isn't the reason....

So why book either knowing that?
I know never took book those for years just in case. Book a seat that is not a question.
Not a GS issue. Being GS in the past, I know what could at anytime be swapped out for crew just to be safe for whatever reason. You lose to the crew 100% of the time.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 10:32 pm

"shows no 1A blocks". You have access to UA's system to verify this? Or using some other system to guess if it is blocked. This close in a blocked seat can just look like an unavailable seat on the map depending how it was entered.

1A is the crew rest seat for all of the planes they have operating that route (no it is not interchangeable with 1D, and it is set in conjunction with the FAA. The only plane with a D seat designated for crew rest is the 76C, and it defaults to 6D, the backup for double augmenation is any other D seat).

​​​​​​​Crew rest is more complicated than just a single flight in the pilot's schedule, but rather how that flight fits in among all their duty periods. EWR-LHR doesn't normally require augmentation which is probably why you have no issue getting 1A most times you fly. However if the pilots who end up assigned to operate the flight have something in their duty periods that doesn't meet the requirements for only 2 to operate the flight, UA is likely augmenting the crew to make it able to be operated on schedule. If they're augmenting the crew then they have to block 1A and kick whoever is in it out, that is unfortunately a risk that comes with being in that seat. The majority of the time it's going to be fine, but this time they needed it. Your other option is they delay the flight until they can operate it with only 2 pilots. I don't know what you care about more, being on time or having seat 1A. But I suspect the other hundreds of passengers would rather their flight operate on time.

Last edited by Lux Flyer; Oct 31, 2022 at 10:37 pm
Old Oct 31, 2022, 10:37 pm

Programs: 100000 mile flyer
Write them a letter.
You will get a $250 ETC.
In 2020 I booked a mileage run LAX-EWR-LAX (red-eye OUT and daytime flight IN) one month in advance and selected 3A Polaris seat on each leg legs.
2 days before flight time, with no equipment change my seats were gone and I had no seat assignments.
Wound up flying in noisy and bright 1A on the red eye and didn't mind 1K on the return daytime flight.
Expressed my disappointment politely and told them I had spoken to both 3A PAXs on each flight; they had booked just 10 days and 5 days earlier respectively.
Got a $250 ETC,explaining while that seats assignments are never guaranteed, kindly accept this goodwill gesture.
I was OK with that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.