Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Decoding the alphabet soup - fare buckets for UA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

Revenue buckets
J - Full Fare Business
C - Discount Business
D - Discount Business
Z - Deep Discount Business
P - Deep Discount Business
O - Full Fare PremiumPlus (Premium Economy)
A - Discount PremiumPlus (Premium Economy)
R - Deep Discount PremiumPlus (Premium Economy)
Y - Full Fare Coach
B - Full Fare Coach
M - Discount Coach
E - Discount Coach
U - Discount Coach
H - Discount Coach
Q - Discount Coach
V - Discount Coach
W - Deep Discount Coach
S - Deep Discount Coach
T - Deep Discount Coach
L - Deep Discount Coach
K - Deep Discount Coach
G - Deep Discount Coach
N - Basic Economy

Saver Award Inventory
IN - Elite (Plat/1K/GS) Saver Business or 2-cabin First Award
I - Non-Elite and Low Elite Saver Business or 2-cabin First Award
XN - Elite Saver Coach Award. Also available to Chase Gateway, Explorer, Quest, and United Club Visa cardholders as an undocumented benefit
X - Non-Elite Saver Coach Award

"Everyday" Award Inventory
JN - Elite/CC Everyday Business or 2-cabin First Award (may be open to all MP members )
ZN - Non-Elite Everyday Business or 2-cabin First Award (tracks to the Z bucket) (not clear if still used for award travel). Also used for buy-up upgrade offered at check-in. May be a factor in Skip-the-Waitliist availability
ON - Everyday PremiumPlus (Premium Economy) Award
YN - Elite/CC Everyday Coach Award (may be open to all MP members)
HN - Non-Elite Everyday Coach Award (tracks to the H bucket) (not clear this is still used)

Upgrade Inventory
PN - Y/B/M 1K Instant Upgrades (CPU eligible routes only); All GS sponsored upgrades Y->J (CPU, PlusPoints, miles)
PZ - Upgrades to Polaris Business, United Business, or United First (excepting GS sponsored upgrades and 1K Instant Upgrades)
RN - Upgrades to Premium Plus

Points earning for all upgrades is based on the originally purchased fare. Also see below.

Upgrades Note that upgraded flights will post to your MileagePlus statement as Z(X) where the second letter (X) is the original booking class. The parenthetical letter defines the earning rate for the flight as points are earned based on the original booking class.

How to read inventory numbers:
Why does J8C5D3Z0P0 mean?
The zero inventory is easy to explain, UA is presently unwilling to sell tickets using inventory in that fare class.
Does J8C5D3 mean there are 16 seats for sale? No -- there are just 8 available seats.
Inventory in a fare class is not additive but the lower fare classes are subsets of the higher fare classes
If UA sells / upgrades 1 seat in the premium fare class, the Inventory will like change to J7C4D2.
The J inventory is the total number of seats for sale in business/first. While C,D,Z, P ... are the number of seats UA is willing to sell in those lower fare classes
Going back to J8C5D3Z0P0, if you want 4 seats on a single PNR, you will have to purchase C fare, as there isn't enough inventory for D fare for everyone on the PNR and everyone on a common PNR must have the same fare class / fare basis.

In some cases, if a lower cabin is oversold, UA will then block, remove from inventory in the higher cabin to protect against the oversale.
Note the largest number for a UA fare class in public displays is 9 (some airlines limit to just 4), this prevents revealing too much information to the competitors or the public.

Award and upgrade inventory are also subsets on their respective cabin inventory

Management of inventory and maximizing revenue is the role of Revenue Management (RM), a highly secretive, proprietary operation of the airlines -- So inventory changes (within the physical limitations of the aircraft) will be dynamic and can change without notice as determine by RM

Archive thread: Decoding the alphabet soup - fare buckets for UA {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Decoding the alphabet soup - fare buckets for UA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2019, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Got it. I searched it again, and it appears that paid tickets show up under the UA codeshare, but award tickets show up only under the NH flight number. Kind of a sneaky little tweak that I did not know existed previously, and (IMO) a bit strange to show up on a route that is supposedly revenue-neutral for UA/NH.
The route is revenue-neutral. As for it being sneaky, 99 times out of 100, the passenger wouldn't really care. The fact that award buckets show up if the flight appears under its native flight number is more of a side-effect than a feature. In fact, UA used to show the inventory buckets in the award search results, but that was removed a few years ago. I assume some partner airline(s) complained about having that information available publicly.

What's happening is twofold. 1 - to the inventory system, the two flights are independent. The fact that UA 7907 and NH7 are the same actual flight is irrelevant -- each of them have their own inventory buckets, and codeshare flights don't have the award inventory buckets -- at all -- because you can't book codeshare flights on awards. 2 - United.com's search suppresses other airlines' flight numbers for most TATL and TPAC travel to North America, in favor of its own routes.

This latter point has its downsides, but it simplifies the search (and the search results) a lot. If every UA flight came back with UA and non-UA inventory both, not only would people be confused, but you'd have to wade through all of those combinations on the results page.

Anyway, as Kacee suggested, ExpertFlyer is your best bet here. UA expert mode is not going to give you useful information on routes where UA codeshares are available.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 12:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MMF, QF Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan

Anyway, as Kacee suggested, ExpertFlyer is your best bet here. UA expert mode is not going to give you useful information on routes where UA codeshares are available.
Just curious which ExpertFlyer account would you recommend? I haven't used it yet but am thinking about it
Old Dec 1, 2019, 12:34 am

Just curious if there is any word on which fare bucket STW will be
Old Dec 1, 2019, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hugo OZ
Just curious which ExpertFlyer account would you recommend? I haven't used it yet but am thinking about it
I didn’t even realize they had a Basic Plan until I just now looked. If you’re only interested in flight availability, and you don’t need availability alerts, the Basic Plan should be sufficient. I use the Premium Plan, because I find it valuable to be able to look up fare details and routing rules, and I have occasionally set up alerts.

Originally Posted by Hugo OZ
Just curious if there is any word on which fare bucket STW will be
Nothing definitive yet, just a few guesses. I suspect people will be trying to reverse-engineer it as soon as StW becomes available. It wouldn’t surprise me if it were linked to a bucket that’s not available in ExpertFlyer, though. (None of the two-letter buckets are available, including PZ).
Old Dec 2, 2019, 7:21 am

I didn’t even realize they had a Basic Plan until I just now looked. If you’re only interested in flight availability, and you don’t need availability alerts, the Basic Plan should be sufficient. I use the Premium Plan, because I find it valuable to be able to look up fare details and routing rules, and I have occasionally set up alerts.

Nothing definitive yet, just a few guesses. I suspect people will be trying to reverse-engineer it as soon as StW becomes available. It wouldn’t surprise me if it were linked to a bucket that’s not available in ExpertFlyer, though. (None of the two-letter buckets are available, including PZ).
Well I use BCD travel which gives non-award fare bucket and UA expert mode for UA award bucket. These are free but this seems useful for other *A and QF award bucket which I would use. Seems like it is worth a try
Old Jan 18, 2020, 7:56 am

Programs: United GS, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
JN Fare Class Question

I've booked an R fare from EWR to MUC and have been wait-listed for a Polaris upgrade using PointsPlus. I see there are 9(+) JN fare class inventory and have read the definition for the class (JN - Elite/CC Everyday Business or 2-cabin First Award). Can anyone explain if this inventory would be opened up for upgrades eventually (-24 hours, etc) or am I misunderstanding how this class works?

Thanks!

Old Jan 18, 2020, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by TavionT
I've booked an R fare from EWR to MUC and have been wait-listed for a Polaris upgrade using PointsPlus. I see there are 9(+) JN fare class inventory and have read the definition for the class (JN - Elite/CC Everyday Business or 2-cabin First Award). Can anyone explain if this inventory would be opened up for upgrades eventually (-24 hours, etc) or am I misunderstanding how this class works?

Thanks!
You need to search a flight without connections (usually) to see true inventory. JN is nothing special as a class. Depending on how sales are on the flight, RM may or may not eventually open PZ class, which is the required class for non-GS instrument upgrades. The current inventory is J9 D9 Z0.
jsloan and TavionT like this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by findark
You need to search a flight without connections (usually) to see true inventory. JN is nothing special as a class. Depending on how sales are on the flight, RM may or may not eventually open PZ class, which is the required class for non-GS instrument upgrades. The current inventory is J9 D9 Z0.
Thank you!
Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just to add, JN will track J, since it's last seat availability. It's meaningless in terms of upgrades.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Just to add, JN will track J, since it's last seat availability. It's meaningless in terms of upgrades.
Thank you, that makes sense and is what I was thinking - to view it as seat availability, not potential upgrades.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Correct.

What’s happening in this display is an artifact of MUC-LIS being a codeshare. Basically, UA’s display logic works differently for classes that exist on every flight and classes that don’t. Because the two-letter codes are internal to UA, they’re only present on flights that are operated by UA. J inventory is being suppressed by the connecting flight (although I’d expect it to be J4, so as to match). JN inventory is not, and, in this case, is a truer reflection of the overall seat availability on the EWR-MUC flight.

That said, the answer, as previously stated, is to search flights individually when trying to gauge seat availability and upgrade chances.

PS: OP’s profile says GS; if accurate, PN is the target class for upgrades.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 1:21 pm

PS: OP’s profile says GS; if accurate, PN is the target class for upgrades.
Thank you for the response!

Unfortunately, GS is only accurate through Jan 31 as I did not re-qualify this year. Is it PZ I need to look for as 1K?
Old Jan 18, 2020, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TavionT
Thank you for the response!

Unfortunately, GS is only accurate through Jan 31 as I did not re-qualify this year. Is it PZ I need to look for as 1K?
1K instruments clear into PZ. I don’t know whether who move from GS to 1K retain GS priority on instruments applied before 1/31 or not. That’s probably answered in the Global Services thread. (As a low-spend 1K, I don’t spend much time in that thread )
TavionT likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 1:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
1K instruments clear into PZ. I don’t know whether who move from GS to 1K retain GS priority on instruments applied before 1/31 or not. That’s probably answered in the Global Services thread. (As a low-spend 1K, I don’t spend much time in that thread )
Believe the answer is, once on the PZ waitlist, you stay there -- just as those that get waitlisted for IN but were either placed in error or loss status. What you are waitlisted for seems to be static, your priority on that list is dynamic / realtime. What happens at the gate, don't know -- but it seems you can say that about the gate list in general
TavionT likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Believe the answer is, once on the PZ waitlist, you stay there -- just as those that get waitlisted for IN but were either placed in error or loss status. What you are waitlisted for seems to be static, your priority on that list is dynamic / realtime. What happens at the gate, don't know -- but it seems you can say that about the gate list in general
That’s my guess, which would mean that someone dropping status from GS probably retains GS priority on instruments applied before 1/31, even if the flights are after 1/31. However, I suspect that some former GSes might have personal experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.