Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Inflight service expectations - UA 200/201 (b/w GUM & HNL)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2011, 8:06 am
Original Poster

I’m a GUM-based traveler. Those of you following know that at the end of this month, UA’s Domestic 777 will replace CO’s Intl 764. While I’m less than thrilled with this change, it seems that for now, UA’s Domestic 777 will be the aircraft of choice for flights between GUM and HNL. That said, does anyone have an idear of what the inflight service will be like? I have historically purchased whatever business fare is available at the time of ticketing, but with domestic style first class seats replacing CO’s BF seat, the only thing that would prevent me from purchasing a coach vs. business class ticket is the inflight service. For example, amenity kits? Pillows and blankets? How about the meal service? Four-choice options? Ice cream sundaes? Fresh baked onboard cookies? If UA can offer some sort of inflight service similar to what is offered in BusinessFirst (the flights are being sold as business-class), then that in my mind is a compromise I MIGHT be willing to take, and will lead me to continue purchasing C, D, or Z fares. If NOT, then it’s economy plus for me…at least between GUM and HNL for now. THOUGHTS?
Old Oct 9, 2011, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My guess is that they keep the premium catering product. But I have no idea if that will actually happen or not.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by trust77
For example, amenity kits? Pillows and blankets? How about the meal service? Four-choice options? Ice cream sundaes? Fresh baked onboard cookies? If UA can offer some sort of inflight service similar to what is offered in BusinessFirst (the flights are being sold as business-class), then that in my mind is a compromise I MIGHT be willing to take, and will lead me to continue purchasing C, D, or Z fares. If NOT, then it’s economy plus for me…at least between GUM and HNL for now. THOUGHTS?
Are those what you mentioned are what CO offered on GUM-NRT currently on the 764 BF ?
Old Oct 9, 2011, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Are those what you mentioned are what CO offered on GUM-NRT currently on the 764 BF ?
Yup.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

It's the offerings in BF between GUM/HNL.

How about United Club access in these cities? You think because it's marketed as business that a passenger will still have access?
Old Oct 9, 2011, 6:07 pm

Programs: United Two Million Miler; United 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
I too am upset about the downgrade from the CO business first product to the United domestic first class. The flight from HNL-GUM is about 7 hours and the distance is about the same as New York to Germany.

I am a business traveler and have been loyal to this route since 1999. Sadly United has a monopoly over this route and therefore sees no reason to provide the same product that they have provided for other routes of this length.

There have long been rumors about Delta entering this market and I sure hope something happens to bring back some competition.

I regret that my business is in Guam, not Frankfurt. My money is that same, but sadly, they don't see it that way.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 4:46 pm

If UA 200/201 is anything like the domestic HNL 2-class 772 service, it will be rather unpleasant, even in F. It is quite possible that it will not be any different than the equally long ORD-HNL. The added seats will make it even lower yielding. The primary benefit to UA is to balance out the seats to GUM and the ability to carry LD-3 containers. If you want better front cabin service, it will be better to go through NRT.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by AADC10
The added seats will make it even lower yielding.
Depends on how many they are selling up front and at what price they can continue to sell the seats in the back. The flights are often very full even with the general lack of discounted fares on the route.
The primary benefit to UA is to balance out the seats to GUM and the ability to carry LD-3 containers.
My guess is that the cargo capacity plays into it significantly.
If you want better front cabin service, it will be better to go through NRT.
Always has been the case.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

i decided to answer my question by flying hnl-gum at the end of this month...I'll post back when I return. kind of sad for us GUM-based travelers. BusinessFirst is exiting our market for good.

Stay tuned...
Old Oct 30, 2011, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

UPDATE

Ok all...attached are the menus for UA 201 (HNL-GUM). Here are some pros and cons of the new service/aircraft equipment/etc.

PROS:
- Great inflight crew (the HNL based flight attendants are quite senior. BUT they were definitely service oriented and met every request with genuine Aloha. On a side note, they're also aware of the "issue" of the air-mike f/a's no longer being able to fly HNL-GUM-NRt and they felt very bad for them, but it was not their decision).
- Still able to access United Club if seated in business class (I was concerned we would no longer have access to the Club if it was marketed as domestic first class service)
- Menus are still provided (I will attempt to attach it)
- "United Business" pillow and blanket at every seat
- Ice cream and cheese cart
- CO has moved to UA's side of the checkin area @ HNL. The UA checkin area has been renovated and it's pretty nice.
- No BUY-ON-BOARD for economy cabin (confirmed by flyertalker "delayflight")

CONS:
- UA 777 domestic first class seat (I will never complain about the 764 BF seat not being lie flat again)
- The salad (i guess it's the standard for United Business) was very small and not presentable. It was very similar to the size and portion of the salad served on flights from HNL to IAH/EWR/LAX.
- No amenity kits
- No inflight map
- No newspaper cart before departure
- No bottled water handed out after main meal service
- United markets the flight as business class, but my boarding pass says "United First"
- Overhead projector-style IFE
- This was only day two of UA taking over this route and the checkin was a little chaotic. There were no CO HNL based agents on hand to assist them, and most of the agents didn't know what excess baggage fees applied, what was the charge for the bags, etc. I had an excess bag and paid $100.00

MENU

beginnings
FRESH SEASONAL GREENS WlTH CHILLED LOBSTER
Tomato, cucumber and radish
Served with your choice of Classic Caesar
or Asian Sesame Ginger Vinaigrette

main course
TRADER VICS GUAVA BARBECUE-GLAZED FlLET MIGNON
Grilled sweet potato and Tahitian-style green beans
TRADER VICS SPICY HUNAN-STYLE CHICKEN
Asian-style sesame noodles and stir-fried vegetables with shiitake mushrooms
TERIVAKI-GLAZED SALMON
Teriyaki sauce, toasted sesame rice and Chinese-style broccoli
STIR-FRIED RICE WlTH VEGETABLES
Vegetarian option featuring egg fried rice, vegetables
and mushrooms in ginger soy sauce

Select entrees were specially designed for United Airiines by Trader Vics

to finish
INTERNATIONAL CHEESE SELECTION
St. Pete's Blue, Four-Year Aged Cheddar and St. Rocco Tiiple Creme &ie
Seedless grapes and crackers senled with PoR wine.

VANILLA ICE CREAM
With your choice of sundae toppings

midflight snack
LIGHT SNACKS ARE AVAILABLE THROUGHOUT THE FLIGHT.
PLEASE HELP YOURSELF OR ASK YOUR FLIGHT ATTENDANT
FOR TODAY'S SELECTIONS

prior to arrival
SMOKED TURKEY AND PEPPER JACK CHEESE ON ClABATA
Served with fruit and mushroom salads, and sweet treats

WINE LIST

FEATURED WINES The wines served aboard United’s flights are chosen in consultation with Doug Frost. columnist and author (On Wine, 2001; Uncorking Wine. 1996). ML Frost has been nominated for the prestigious James Beard Foundation Award and is one of only three people in the world to hold both the title of Master Sommelier and Master of Wine. Mr. Frost and United have taken a truly global perspective in selecting wines for your appreciation and enjoyment. A votre sante!

champagne
NICOLAS FEUILLATTE BRUT RBSERVE PARTICULIERE NV, CHAMPAGNE
A favorite of many sommeliers; Feuil!attels Reserve Particuliere has lots of
fresh fruit notes along with the tart and earthy character typical of the region.
or
DE VENOQE CORDON BLEU BRUT NV, CHAMPAGNE
Champagnes brilliance lies in its ability to marry tart fruit with intense earth
and nut flavors, leaving notes of biscuit and citrus.

white wine
QUY SAQET "LA PETITE PERRIERE” SAUVIGNON BLANC 2009, LOIRE VALLEY
Sauvignon Blanc, while successful around the world, is most complex in its Loire
Valley home, and Saget is one of its masters: think melon, lemon and apple.
GEYSER PEAK CHARDONNAY 2009, ALEXANDER VALLEY
Geyser Peak's style of powerful fruit without excessive alcohol
suits our purposes: peachy, buttery notes but always with restraint.

red wine
CHATEAU PESQUI LES TERRASSES (GRENACHE BLEND) 2009,
COTES DU VENTOUX

2009, like 2007 and 2005 before it, is a remarkable vintage in the Rhone Valley; the wines are fruity, seductive and rich without heaviness.
KENWOOD VINEYARDS YULUPA MERLOT 2008, CALIFORNIA
Kenwood's storied history is filled with powerful Sauvignon Blancs and rich,
structured Merlots, which are often more powerful than some people's Cabernets.

Some wine selections are subject to change. Your flight attendant
will inform you of the varieties that are available on today's flight.

beverages
Aperitifs, cocktails, spirits, liqueurs and beer
Sandeman Founders Reserve Porto
will be offered during the main meal's dessert
Regular or decaffeinated coffee and tea
Assorted soft drinks and juices

Last edited by trust77; Oct 31, 2011 at 4:30 pm Reason: to correct the fact that buy-on-board does not exist on this flight
Old Oct 30, 2011, 10:44 pm

Yikes buy on board for economy on an international flight? Alot of passengers aren't gonna be happy with this one. Did the purser or whtever UA calls there lead f/a actually announce buy on board? Or maybe you saw a menu tht was left on board from the inbound flt from the mainland? In any event this is a major change and a major downgrade (IMO) to the GUM passengers who are used to the CO flt. Also did they play the safety video, or was it a manual demo? Cuz all the domestic UA 777s I see on YouTube the f/as are doing a manual safety demo even though theres video monitors.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Did the purser or whtever UA calls there lead f/a actually announce buy on board? Or maybe you saw a menu tht was left on board from the inbound flt from the mainland? Also did they play the safety video, or was it a manual demo? Cuz all the domestic UA 777s I see on YouTube the f/as are doing a manual safety demo even though theres video monitors.
yes, the purser announced buy on board and referred the economy passengers to the last page of the Hemispheres Magazine.

Also did they play the safety video, or was it a manual demo? Cuz all the domestic UA 777s I see on YouTube the f/as are doing a manual safety demo even though theres video monitors.
the safety video WAS played...no manual demonstration.

are you an employee of CO? from what I gathered, a number of CO employees were cleared into the business cabin, despite the fact that UA and CO employees are yet to have the same pass riding status/priority in the new system. Just a point of reference for you if you are an airline employee.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by trust77
yes, the purser announced buy on board and referred the economy passengers to the last page of the Hemispheres Magazine.

the safety video WAS played...no manual demonstration.

are you an employee of CO? from what I gathered, a number of CO employees were cleared into the business cabin, despite the fact that UA and CO employees are yet to have the same pass riding status/priority in the new system. Just a point of reference for you if you are an airline employee.

Yes I'm an employee of CO. Newark based. I'm assuming those CO employees worked GUM-HNL the day before UA took over HNL-GUM so took the UA flt to deadhead back to base. How did the business class service compare to the CO BF service on tht flt?
Old Oct 31, 2011, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Yikes buy on board for economy on an international flight? Alot of passengers aren't gonna be happy with this one.
It's actually a domestic flight!

I enjoyed flying from HNL-GUM on CO earlier this year--nice hot meal service.

Some questions for those who have flown it:

1. Mai Tais available?

2. UDUs for elites since it is a domestic product?

I assume the C cabin is full of YCAs upgraded to business anyway, so upgrades would still be no sure-thing for elites.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 4:53 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Let's hope the "buy on board" was just an initial glitch. That will really piss off customers on that route. Sounds like the business soft product remains similar to what was on CO except for the domestic F class seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.