Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will UA p.s. service come to EWR?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2011, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus cattle, DL SkyPesos peon, HHonors Blue
Originally Posted by sbm12
Not necessarily. They also rotate them at the far end in many cases or put them on shorter hops between hubs depending on the utilization needs. It could go either way. But unless they have sufficient capacity to ensure that every flight will have the service then marketing it that way is a bad plan. And unless you're marketing it that way you don't have the ability to drive the revenue premiums.
That is certainly an issue. I should have clarified that to say that I don't expect a dedicated PS-style offering, just the same as we see now on SFO/LAX-IAD, where there are int'l 3-class birds flying a couple times a day to rotate them and position for service. The only change I would foresee would be to offer those with the full-on international service levels whenever the 3-class is on the route (is it DL that does that currently with BE on transcons out of JFK?).
Old Sep 21, 2011, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Plat
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Yes, if you only look at UA/CO - UA having gotten rid of SFO-CDG etc. However, if you look at the whole of *A, there are very few if any European destinations of any importance that don't have a premium class product with a one-stop connection either with UA through LHR/FRA, or with LH or LX through FRA/MUC/ZRH, or even with TK through IST (OK, so C seats on intra-European routes suck, but that's another story...).
You are of course correct, but there are plenty of reasons to prefer to stay on UA/CO metal the whole way -- mostly the ability to use miles and SWU's/GPU's to upgrade, but also for purposes of potentially better EQM, RDM and elite mileage bonuses; increasing the lifetime mileage counter; avoiding a possible change of terminals in Europe; hitting the new "four flight minimum on UA to stay elite" threshold, etc.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 2:20 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
I actually prefer EWR over JFK-the station is much nicer and its a much quicker trip into Manhattan for me. However, considering how inflated fares to EWR are, I'd like to say I'd rather PS stay at JFK.

It's a pain navigating around JFK with the airtrain etc..where as the experience at EWR seems a lot faster.

I don't think UA would want to give up its slots at JFK like CO did. PS is probably very O&D limited, atleast ex-East coast
Old Sep 21, 2011, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by demkr
However, considering how inflated fares to EWR are, I'd like to say I'd rather PS stay at JFK.
Nail --> head. EWR mid-week transcons are typically in the $1,000 range, where the JFK transcons can be had for less than half of that.

Newark is a fortress hub. UACO can charge premium pricing. JFK has DL/AA/B6/VX to compete with on non-stop transcon routes. PMUA used P.S. as the differentiating product.

SunLover
Old Sep 21, 2011, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
I don't think UA would want to give up its slots at JFK like CO did. PS is probably very O&D limited, atleast ex-East coast
My guess is it is the opposite. While I would think a lot of PS travelers are hopping from CA to NYC and back, I think the lack of Asian/Oz flights from the NYC area mean more ex-JFK travelers continue on to somewhere else.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by iahphx
Has anyone specifically heard that p.s. service makes money?
Three year old article, but still relevant (maybe a bit less with the new SAG contract)

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121728185716790977.html
Old Sep 21, 2011, 3:51 pm

It is really, really not difficult to change that. Jeff will give a thought of that, coz currently CO 752 transcon is the best in the business. They can easily change the First and market it as P.S., then they are good to go. My guess is they will also determine if EWR-SFO should be marketed as P.S. as well. I don't see why you just touch LAX but not SFO.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 4:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Interesting comments.

Seems like something of an odd product given its limited reach. I'm wondering if CO's EWR transcon service would be more profitable out of JFK. But it does seem like Smisek has decided to keep ps, at least for now. As someone noted, they are retrofitting for 2-class service.
So a 2 class ps bird will have 26 J seats, 10 more than a PMCO 752, so any other difference between these two birds than the 2.5 more rows of J?
Old Sep 21, 2011, 4:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bniu
So a 2 class ps bird will have 26 J seats, 10 more than a PMCO 752, so any other difference between these two birds than the 2.5 more rows of J?
Many more E+ seats and fewer E- seats. I'm pretty sure they also committed to keeping wifi on the p.s. fleet while awaiting the broader deployment on the rest of the domestic fleet.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by SFOtoORD
UACO needs capacity on hub-to-hub routes and I don't see ps fitting that bill. There are really only a couple routes that I think would work as ps besides the existing routes:

1. SFO/LAX-DCA (if UA were able to get the slot-pair)
2. SFO/LAX-LGA (if the perimeter rule was lifted, although JFK would probably go away then)
3. BUR-JFK (was supposedly almost started as part of the Disney contract, but seems unlikely given that BUR is sadly now all UX)

I think LAX/SFO-IAD/EWR wouldn't happen since they are hub-to-hub. LAX/SFO-BOS probably won't happen b/c the yields aren't great.
1. will never happen...not enough to fill premium cabins in DC
2. could happen if rule was lifted, and i feel that would be better than JFK, and then, would pull out of JFK so i like that. but, probably won't happen.
3. will never happen, 752 i don't think can take off from BUR and make it to JFK, plus, they won't pull out of LAX and go to BUR.

we have this discussion ever year...why not DC? why not BOS? it's because p.s. is a unique product, strictly from JFK-SFO/LAX. that's it. also, NY, SF, and LA can afford the high fares that these flights demand. plain and simple, DC and BOS can't.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by haddon90
1. will never happen...not enough to fill premium cabins in DC
2. could happen if rule was lifted, and i feel that would be better than JFK, and then, would pull out of JFK so i like that. but, probably won't happen.
3. will never happen, 752 i don't think can take off from BUR and make it to JFK, plus, they won't pull out of LAX and go to BUR.

we have this discussion ever year...why not DC? why not BOS? it's because p.s. is a unique product, strictly from JFK-SFO/LAX. that's it. also, NY, SF, and LA can afford the high fares that these flights demand. plain and simple, DC and BOS can't.
I'm not so sure about DCA. There is a lot of SFO/LAX originating demand that could potentially pay a premium.

Actually, UA was literally weeks away from announcing BUR-JFK on ps in 2008 or so. The ps 752 is pretty light due to the lower density. It was apparently going to be specifically to support their Disney contract.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by SFOtoORD
I'm not so sure about DCA. There is a lot of SFO/LAX originating demand that could potentially pay a premium.

Actually, UA was literally weeks away from announcing BUR-JFK on ps in 2008 or so. The ps 752 is pretty light due to the lower density. It was apparently going to be specifically to support their Disney contract.
interesting...wonder why they don't have anything on their flights to/from MCO, because i believe that is there for disney.

and because of all of the low government fares, and a lot of the tech/consulting firms up the dulles corridor, you get more business out of IAD. DC just can't support the fares that p.s. demands, because if it could, it would be there.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
I think if P.S. moves to EWR, it's dead.

Personally, P.S. being at JFK is one of the few factors which allows me to justify continued use of them now that I don't live near IAD. Although, all the cool kids have moved to Virgin America, which I must admit would be a nice alternative.

I'd really love to see more flights move back to JFK, quite frankly. They have the gates, and now they have the aircraft. How about at least connecting to the rest of the hubs: ORD/IAH/DEN. LGA is such a pit, and EWR might as well be in Philly. It's a crying shame that the best connected NY airline seems to be Delta.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 6:53 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by haddon90
interesting...wonder why they don't have anything on their flights to/from MCO, because i believe that is there for disney.
The fact UA runs anything at all on the route, and that they ran 2-class planes with F when to everywhere else ex-MCO they ran TED, amount to their concessions to the Disney business market...
Old Sep 21, 2011, 6:58 pm

Interesting comments.

Seems like something of an odd product given its limited reach. I'm wondering if CO's EWR transcon service would be more profitable out of JFK. But it does seem like Smisek has decided to keep ps, at least for now. As someone noted, they are retrofitting for 2-class service.
It's a couple of years old, but the Boyd Group published some financial data on JFK-LAX:

http://www.aviationplanning.com/DataMinerFlash1.htm

Scroll to February 9, 2009 or search for JFK-LAX.

Summary: UA's ticket yield was 24 cents, AA was 14, DL 10, and VX 9.5.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.