FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1261734-co-ua-million-mile-beyond-flyer-benefits-effective-spring-2012-a.html)

UA Insider Sep 21, 2011 6:35 am

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

[Here are the n]ew lifetime benefits [and] we think you’ll agree this is the most generous lifetime program in the world. The following will take effect next spring (so please hold tight until then):
  • Continental and United lifetime earnings will be combined. You all guessed that much, but the key will be how we do it. Continental’s lifetime earnings have been EQM-based, and United’s have been based on actual flight miles. Starting in 2012, the program will be based on actual flight miles, however, we will make a one-time adjustment on the United side to boost everyone’s lifetime earnings to EQMs dating back to the beginning of the program
  • Lifetime premier benefits for 1 million miles = Premier Gold, 2 million = Premier Platinum, 3 million = Premier 1K, 4 million = Global Services
  • Million milers will be able to designate a spouse or significant other to always have the same premier tier as them (this includes when the million miler member earns a higher tier). The spousal premier benefits will be identical as the member, except they will not include RPUs and GPUs. This spousal benefit will replace the one-time and annual upgrade gifts, and hopefully you’ll agree this is a better deal
  • Continental’s Infinite Elite members (the limited few of you that earned this back in the early 90’s) will be grandfathered in and given lifetime Premier 1K status, but without the GPUs. We hope you’ll agree this is a generous resolution

Thanks as always for your feedback, and we look forward to answering your questions.

Scott O’Leary
Managing Director, Customer Solutions
United Airlines

ozstamps Sep 21, 2011 7:19 am

New Million Miler Elite Benefits.

My question is re this section -

Lifetime premier benefits for 1 million miles = Premier Gold, 2 million = Premier Platinum, 3 million = Premier 1K, 4 million = Global Services

I am a UA Million Miler now = "Star Gold for life."

Is that the same as "Premier Gold"??? (Whatever that will be) i.e. is it Star Gold?

FlyinHawaiian Sep 21, 2011 7:21 am

Understanding that this has been a topic of frequent interest and speculation in the past and anticipating additional discussion now that the terms of the future program have been announced (see above), I have created this new thread.

Thank you,

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United Mileage Plus Forum

J.Edward Sep 21, 2011 7:23 am

Originally Posted by ozstamps (Post 17146409)
Is that the same as "Premier Gold"??? (Whatever that will be) i.e. is it Star Gold?

As I read it, yes.

ozstamps Sep 21, 2011 7:33 am

So seeing there is a 1K and a GS, what is "Premier Platinum"?

1K-SFO Sep 21, 2011 7:37 am

Originally Posted by ozstamps (Post 17146409)
I am a UA Million Miler now = "Star Gold for life."

It will all come down to how they map these new levels to *A.

If *S = Premier Silver + Premier Gold, then no. But it would seem odd to have a UA-labeled level be "Gold" when it doesn't map to that level at *A.

As a 2MM flyer, I actually see this as an upgrade on the UA side -- I'm now mapping to a higher level (United Premier Platinum) for life -- the 75k level vs. the 50k level (Premier Executive). It should be status quo on the *A side -- *G for life.

sbm12 Sep 21, 2011 7:39 am

Originally Posted by ozstamps (Post 17146496)
So seeing there is a 1K and a GS, what is "Premier Platinum"?

The 75K EQM/90 EQP level.

ozstamps Sep 21, 2011 7:42 am

Originally Posted by 1K-SFO (Post 17146516)

If *S = Premier Silver + Premier Gold, then no. But it would seem odd to have a UA-labeled level be "Gold" when it doesn't map to that level at *A.

Well I am assuming there are grandfathering in all pre-existing MM to Star Gold for Life, as we were told was for life when earned.

However explaining that to some SQ matron in Changi will be fun. :td:

mahasamatman Sep 21, 2011 7:57 am

Originally Posted by UA Insider (Post 17146346)
This spousal benefit will replace the one-time and annual upgrade gifts, and hopefully you’ll agree this is a better deal

For most people, it will probably be better. But those of us whose spouse also attains the lifetime status on their own merit get hit.

Originally Posted by 1K-SFO (Post 17146516)

It's all spelled out on the web site. Premier Gold and higher are all *G.

UNITED959 Sep 21, 2011 8:01 am

I also don't like the Million Miler change.

Having just crossed 1MM, I was looking forward to RCC access at 2MM. I could care less about nominating a spouse/significant other. Maybe everybody gets married in Texas, but in the larger U.S. cities people date, break-up, or get divorced. :rolleyes:

mander Sep 21, 2011 8:02 am

This works for me. I am very close to MM on UA and with the recalibration will blow right past - just as long as they find all those LH flights.

UA-NYC Sep 21, 2011 8:03 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 17146635)
For most people, it will probably be better. But those of us whose spouse also attains the lifetime status on their own merit get hit.

I wonder - if my spouse is a MM (but never gets higher than Gold), and I as a sub-MM (for another 5 years or so) stay 1K, can she match up to my status level (on an ongoing annual basis, as long as I stay 1K)?

brianfromwa Sep 21, 2011 8:05 am

Apologies if this isn't the right forum for it, but have airlines generally been good about grandfathering MM stati in the past? I'm thinking of getting my kids started on flyer programs (esp. UA), but I don't know if in 10 years the trend will have depreciated the value of MM, or if they'll say eventually that it takes 2MM to be a *G now, or whatever.

Xyzzy Sep 21, 2011 8:07 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 17146635)

That is not true. If one of you earns a level higher than the lifetime level you can n;)w designate the other one to have the same status.

bmvaughn Sep 21, 2011 8:08 am

This is the best news I could have hoped for, assuming *G stays at the Premier Gold level. In one day, I move from ~50% of the way there to well over 70% of the way there! This is fair and equitable for all sides, and I congratulate UA for making that change!

Now the waiting game to watch if my EQM that I've tracked over the years will match up with the EQM that UA provides... hoping there will be some sort of accounting of that somewhere.

Also, I suppose this does away with the concept of BIS... unless there's some sort of BIS requirements around the new program - though it doesn't seem like there are.