Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2013, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
deleted
Print Wikipost

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2012, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Fredd
I received an e-mail from MP in mid-2011:

Subject: Thank you for flying one million miles with United

Date:

Reply-To: Mileage Plus Replies
To: Fredd

One million miles is a significant achievement. Your travel history with United is truly appreciated.

MILEAGE PLUS#: XXXXXXXXXXX

Dear Fredd,

Congratulations on reaching one million miles.

Your accomplishment of flying one million miles is a significant milestone.

In recognition, you've been awarded lifetime Premier Executive status as a sincere thank you. Of course, since you have already earned 1K® status, you will retain those benefits as long as you meet the requirements.

And, to enhance your travel experience even more, you'll also receive the following benefits:
• Three (3) systemwide upgrades immediately
• Two (2) confirmed regional upgrades at the end of every year
Once again, congratulations on reaching this important milestone.

Best Regards,

Your Mileage Plus Team

Look for your kit in the mail.
Your member kit is due to arrive in four to six weeks

Can any PMUA Million Mile Flyer report receiving an e-mail notification of the changes?

I certainly didn't.
-

What an excellent point you and oz made in connection with failure of the new UA management to advise customers that their previously promised “lifetime” benefits have been breached.

Although it is true that one can find the “new” benefits currently shown on united.com, no reasonable person would expect that the announcements shown on united.com would RETROACTIVELY apply to those who reached million-mile status prior to the merging of the two programs.

It is obvious to most of us that the new UA management has presently established, among other things, a pattern of behavior that includes a failure to properly communicate with customers. This behavior is atypical to what is generally accepted in business entities interacting with their client base. Case studies show this type of behavior, on a long-term basis, reduces the goodwill of a company and causes customer defection.

The new UA management, somewhere along the way, forgot that those customers who are being ignored and abused via rescission of promised “lifetime” benefits, are the same customers that keep UA in money which allows UA to pay its day-to-day activities.
-

Last edited by dgcpaphd; Mar 27, 2012 at 1:34 pm Reason: spelling
Old Mar 27, 2012, 9:59 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
...It is obvious to most of us that the new UA management has presently established, among other things, a pattern of behavior that includes a failure to properly communicate with customers...
No kidding! For example, the information UA Insider provides in this thread's first post is no longer accurate regarding one significant point:

"Million milers will be able to designate a spouse or significant other to always have the same premier tier as them [sic]..."
Yet it took me, a UA outsider, to discover and post that UA has at some point surreptitiously modified this on its website page:

"A companion is defined as a spouse, significant other or individual who resides at same home address, based on MileagePlus profile information."
IMO when one party changes the "fine print" without announcement while warning the other party that the "fine print" is the final authority, it's not conducive to a positive business relationship, to say the least.

The old saying - That's no way to run a railroad - does come to mind.

Last edited by Fredd; Mar 27, 2012 at 10:05 am
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:07 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
Anybody see UAInsider's announcement on the new credit card? They get more benefits than a Million Mile flier for having a dam* credit card. Way to go United. I was holding out hope you would come around with the way you are treating your Million Mile fliers but this new credit card is a slap in the face to those who have shown long term loyalty to this airline. I have been showing a lot of patience to UA but this is about the straw that broke the camels back.
When they've lost Baze...

Good comment. ^
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
The card doesn't offer the same benefits as MM, I don't know where he's getting that.

You get "Premier Access" and 2 free bags.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:39 am

Programs: AA ExPlat; UA GS (via MM companion); SPG
Originally Posted by blueman2
My spouse was given GS as part of the 1MM match. But no card yet. Anyone else gotten their spouse cards?
I'm in the same boat as your spouse. Still nada. Was told card was requested from vendor on March 13. Am starting to have serious doubts...
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:42 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Fredd
I received an e-mail from MP in mid-2011:

Can any PMUA Million Mile Flyer report receiving an e-mail notification of the changes?

I certainly didn't.
No. I received an email from United MileagePlus in May 2008:
Congratulations to a new United Million Mile flyer

Dear Pat89339,

There is no doubt that you are one of our very best customers, and we sincerely thank you for your loyalty to United. We will continue to make every effort to exceed your highest expectations every time you fly with us.

With your new Million Mile status comes some well-earned perks. You'll be receiving with our compliments:

Three (3) systemwide upgrades immediately
Two (2) confirmed regional upgrades at the end of every year
Lifetime Premier Executive® status in our Mileage Plus program
View your Premier Executive benefits

Of course, as you are currently a 1K®, you will retain that status if flight requirements are met each year. Your member kit is due to arrive in four to six weeks. If you have any questions regarding your status, visit united.com/elite or call 1-800-325-0046.

Once again, congratulations upon reaching this impressive milestone. It’s our privilege to serve you.

Continue to fly United and earn even more rewards! (emphasis added)
Notice the last sentence? It does sound like an incentive to fly more with them, doesn't it? In reality it should have read continue to fly UA and earn even LESS rewards.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
What Million Miler except 4MM gets to upgrade award tickets. As the CC holders benefits increase the MM benefits get gutted. Won't be long before they actually do get more than a long time loyal flier.
I'm sorry, you have no idea what you're talking about. You can only upgrade award tickets if you're elite AND you have one of the credit cards (either Exploder or this). Kettle on Y award ticket with the card = Y.

the 50% "bonus" is 1.5 miles per dollar spent, not 50% bonus on flown mileage.

The card gets you a president's club membership, the ability to upgrade X class tickets via EUA if it ever works based on your current elite status and 1.5 miles per dollar spent on the card.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by entropy
I'm sorry, you have no idea what you're talking about. You can only upgrade award tickets if you're elite AND you have one of the credit cards (either Exploder or this). Kettle on Y award ticket with the card = Y.

the 50% "bonus" is 1.5 miles per dollar spent, not 50% bonus on flown mileage.

The card gets you a president's club membership, the ability to upgrade X class tickets via EUA if it ever works based on your current elite status and 1.5 miles per dollar spent on the card.
Never mind. Not worth it. My main point is CC holders benefits go up while loyal flyers benefits go down. THAT is my point.

And what is a Presidents Club?

Last edited by Baze; Mar 27, 2012 at 12:20 pm
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
And that is a good point

Not only are MMer and high elite privileges being watered down or removed, we are seeing encroachment from the bottom up
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
Never mind. Not worth it. My main point is CC holders benefits go up while loyal flyers benefits go down. THAT is my point.
+1

I'm close to 2MM and had been looking forward to the lifetime club membership, but now this benefit is reserved for credit card holders. Everywhere I turn, from security lines to boarding lines and even some check-in lines, there seem to be swarms of credit card holders. Guess it's lucky at least for heavy flyers that they're backing away from the FEQM system.

Edit: To further clarify the point, my big complaint is that $395 buys a set of services that as recently as a year ago would have cost more than $1100 per year to purchase from United or else a whole lot of flying. Having earned the services the hard way, I didn't mind if others paid $500 for club membership, $349 for Premier Baggage, or $399 (IIRC) for Priority Line, because the high prices discouraged casual flyers and validated my own benefits. Now that they're selling these benefits at bargain-basement prices, not only are my own flying efforts greatly devalued, but the general overcrowding has greatly dimished the benefits themselves.

Last edited by joel67; Mar 27, 2012 at 12:54 pm
Old Mar 27, 2012, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
What an excellent point you and oz made in connection with failure of the new UA management to advise customers that their previously promised “lifetime” benefits have been breached.

Although it is true that one can find the “new” benefits currently shown on united.com, no reasonable person would expect that the announcements shown on united.com would RETROACTIVELY apply to those who reached million-mile status prior to the merging of the two programs.
I just found this promise below I saved after I reached 1 Million Miles only a couple of years back.

It is a clear written promise to give me and others who had qualified at that time, 2 x CR1 upgrades at the end of every year. (Their exact wording.)

"To show how much we appreciate your remarkable loyalty" ..... "With your new Million Mile status comes some well-earned perks ...... "

All existing Million Milers were also emailed late 2011 assuring us those benefits still remained in place after the merge, and the UA website further clearly assured all existing Million Milers those 2 x CR1 would still be an earned benefit to us "EVERY year".

Until all existing Million Milers are advised in writing those written promises have been been deliberately broken by the new Management despite our "remarkable loyalty", I and all others can and do, expect to receive them.

End of story.

When and if Mr Foland and Crew do write to those once "remarkably loyal" customers, to break the news a valuable written benefit has been removed, he can expect the 200,000+ page views of this thread to be the least of his worries.

Corporations cannot LIE in writing to their very best customers re earned benefits. No industry tolerates that. No company survives that does that.

The real cost of keeping their promise on these CR1s - NIL - as they control upgrade inventory at all times.

Last edited by ozstamps; Mar 27, 2012 at 5:04 pm
Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by ozstamps
I just found this promise below I saved after I reached 1 Million Miles only a couple of years back.

It is a clear written promise to give me and others who had qualified at that time, 2 x CR1 upgrades at the end of every year. (Their exact wording.)

"To show how much we appreciate your remarkable loyalty" ..... "With your new Million Mile status comes some well-earned perks ...... "

-
In two earlier posts I briefly explained how airlines recognize expense for miles issued to passengers and others.

The airlines receive a tax deduction for miles ISSUED.

I explained that the computation of the expense (for miles issued) is based on a formula that changes from time-to-time, depending on circumstances. I also stated that on the books of each airline, there is a liability shown for unused miles.

Regressing to the post of ozstamps (shown above) it should be noted that ozstamps discussed the knowingly and intentionally breached two annual regional upgrades that were promised to million-miler’s as a “lifetime” benefit.

United does NOT record an expense for regional upgrade instruments. The only related expense the airlines would have, if it continued to issue the promised upgrades, would be if and when a million-miler actually used the upgrade and used space that the airline MIGHT have been able to sell. In other words, if the seat was not sold to another person, the airline would not be out any money.

Given the above facts, it boggles the mind to realize that the new UA management knowingly and intentionally breached those promised "lifetime" regional upgrades. The resultant negative goodwill created by such an act is immeasurable.

In view of the breach of written “lifetime” promises made to million-mile flyers, UA’s Board of Directors has to wonder why the new UA management made such damaging decisions. Those decisions are not in the best interest in the long-term survival of UA.
-

Last edited by dgcpaphd; Mar 28, 2012 at 7:33 am Reason: spelling
Old Mar 28, 2012, 1:50 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
I wanted to show you ladies and gents this, from a NYTimes article of long ago... This was about a class action brought about to American Airlines.

"....So in 1988, American imposed "capacity controls," which limited the number of seats available on each flight for award coupons. Subsequently, it increased the number of miles required for a round-trip domestic ticket from 20,000 to 25,000. Both steps significantly devalued the miles already accumulated.

At the time, I wondered whether they could do that. After all, they had laid out the rules, induced people to fly American and accumulate miles and then unilaterally changed the rules."

Just interesting reading...that's all

(I posted part of this on the MMU board too)

UG

Last edited by UrbaneGent; Mar 28, 2012 at 2:21 pm
Old Mar 28, 2012, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
I wanted to show you ladies and gents this, from a NYTimes article of long ago... This was about a class action brought about to American Airlines.

"....So in 1988, American imposed "capacity controls," which limited the number of seats available on each flight for award coupons. Subsequently, it increased the number of miles required for a round-trip domestic ticket from 20,000 to 25,000. Both steps significantly devalued the miles already accumulated.

At the time, I wondered whether they could do that. After all, they had laid out the rules, induced people to fly American and accumulate miles and then unilaterally changed the rules."

Just interesting reading...that's all

(I posted part of this on the MMU board too)

UG
+1

Once again UrbaneGent excellent commentary.

It is like wearing spandex if you are a very large person.... legally you can (probably) do it, but should you?
Old Mar 28, 2012, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
"...At the time, I wondered whether they could do that. After all, they had laid out the rules, induced people to fly American and accumulate miles and then unilaterally changed the rules."
Interesting. Thanks for posting it. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.