Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Is 75K/Platinum Status Worth It?" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 12, 2015, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
The value of Platinum status over Gold status is generally a "YMMV" situation. Different people will value different benefits in different ways. Here are the most commonly cited differences that people mention:
  • Boarding in Group 1 instead of Group 2
  • 2 RPUs (none for Gold)
  • Improved chances at CPUs through higher priority
  • 8 companions in E+ on same itinerary vs. 1 companion
  • 3 70 lb. bags instead of 2
  • Greater RDM earning rate (9x instead of 8x base fare)
  • Free award reservation changes, cancellations, miles redeposits
  • Somewhat improved premium cabin award space availability

A full list of differences is available here:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/premier/default.aspx
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Is 75K/Platinum Status Worth It?" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2011, 7:15 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by UAnewBiz
No fees for returning miles, or rebooking the reward trip, and no close-in booking fee either.
Even if only flying with 1 companion, if you're going to be using your miles to redeem awards next year, the no change fee benefits of Premier Platinum could easily be in the hundreds of dollars, so definitely worth factoring in. This year I've taken two int'l *A trips using miles and made numerous changes to my itineraries that would have cost me over $1K under the old fee rules and even in the hundreds of $$ under the current fee rules for 1Ps.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, UA-Premier Silver, AA EXP, Hilton Gold, SPG Plat.
5K miles away from Plat, is it really worth it?

I am a few thousand miles short of reaching Elite Platinum status. With the merger of programs I assume I will be Premier Platinum. I am just wondering if it is really worth it vs. using the rest of the year to do a Platinum challenge on AA. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 6:23 pm

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
good ?

might be depending on the hub, and the 2012 upgrade priority. maybe not for the milageminus points...

could be an interesting thread.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, National Exec. Elite, Hilton Gold, GE
Originally Posted by orli-flier
I am a few thousand miles short of reaching Elite Platinum status. With the merger of programs I assume I will be Premier Platinum. I am just wondering if it is really worth it vs. using the rest of the year to do a Platinum challenge on AA. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Do it. 5K can be easily done in one well-crafted MR and should cost you less than $300 in most cases.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 7:31 pm

Programs: GP plat, SPG plat
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
with some artificial travel included, I am going to achieve 0P / ZP (zeroP) / PP (Premier Platinum). Not sure what this level will be called here on FT...

My goal is 75,001 EQM's.

Obviously there is an element of hope on my part in achieving this level, as we have no official confirmation of the benefits that will be offered at this level, or if in fact 75K will even be a status level at all...
It'd definitely confirmed now that there is a 75K level
Old Oct 1, 2011, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by bouncingbug
It'd definitely confirmed now that there is a 75K level
Yes.

But now I am going for 1K....
Old Oct 2, 2011, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, UA-Premier Silver, AA EXP, Hilton Gold, SPG Plat.
Originally Posted by UAL1200
Do it. 5K can be easily done in one well-crafted MR and should cost you less than $300 in most cases.
OK, I need your help... how do I craft a MR out of CLE that will get me the 5K? I am a novice when it comes to MRs. HELP!
Old Oct 2, 2011, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by orli-flier
OK, I need your help... how do I craft a MR out of CLE that will get me the 5K? I am a novice when it comes to MRs. HELP!
You might want to ask this at the MR Discussion forum! They have crafty / helpful people there that could hook you up
Old Oct 2, 2011, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, National Exec. Elite, Hilton Gold, GE
PM sent.

Although I did book IND-IAH-SFO-SAN-IAD-IND last week for $193. At 5733 miles, it gets me about 3.37 cpm. Fare is gone though.

I'll stop now before I accidentally push the thread to the MR forum.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 11:59 am

Programs: RA, UA MM 1k, AA EXP, Marriott LTP, Hyatt Plat, SPG100
Question Is 1K really worth it?

I've been a long time Plat with CO. As I'm out of CLE and have to travel mostly to the northeast each week, I make it on points/segments not miles. I'm at 76.5 points. I still have quiet a bit of travelling to do for the rest of the year, but if I stick with my routine non-stops, I'm going to be short of the 120 for whatever the new 1K is. So my question to the group....is 1K really worth it if I'm going to have to make most of my trips with connections and have to have for a trip out of pocket?
Old Oct 3, 2011, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA GS
I'm in the same boat. With my currently planned travel I will be at 73,600 miles by the end of the year. Need to decide whether or not to go on a MR.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kit125
I've been a long time Plat with CO. As I'm out of CLE and have to travel mostly to the northeast each week, I make it on points/segments not miles. I'm at 76.5 points. I still have quiet a bit of travelling to do for the rest of the year, but if I stick with my routine non-stops, I'm going to be short of the 120 for whatever the new 1K is. So my question to the group....is 1K really worth it if I'm going to have to make most of my trips with connections and have to have for a trip out of pocket?
I am in the same boat. As it stands now, I will have about 110 segments in my planned work travel by the end of the year. I am trying to decide (mainly so that I can pick a weekend to do it) if I need to take a segment run to get the other 10 segments to get to 1K.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 6:31 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by ryder1650
will be at 73,600 miles by the end of the year.
That one would be a no brainer for me. 1.4K should not cost much but have a whole host of benefits if you keep flying - higher u/g priority (if you like upgrades like I do) and ability to redeposit (or maybe just change, don't remember exactly) reward travel without a fee.

Pretty big ones for me.

EmailKid
Old Oct 4, 2011, 2:27 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by ryder1650
I'm in the same boat. With my currently planned travel I will be at 73,600 miles by the end of the year. Need to decide whether or not to go on a MR.
Of course -- this is a no brainer. 1400 miles could probably be earned simply by adjusting your planned travel.

I'm trying to decide if I get the 12,000 miles I need (a very long MR) which is a different situation.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 10:19 am

Programs: M&M SEN, BA Gold
Q. If switching, is new Platinum worth it versus gold?

As a non-US based Mileage+ member I have calculated that I will fall short of 1k this year. I have already reached 50k and if I choose to put my biz with UA/CO I could achieve 75k+, but for many reasons (service, food, Mileage plus) I have decided to switch to BA Exec Club, where I will easily reach Silver and eventualy gold status.

So I could choose to fly UA next Monday and head towards 75k or I could choose BA and reach silver by years end...

What would you do? (I am Brussels based flyer)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.