Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA M+ Awards with QR (Qatar)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2011, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Question UA M+ Awards with QR (Qatar)

Update: QR awards are now bookable online

As many here know QR is currently a partner with UA's M+ and redemptions on them are fairly limited in terms of being able to add in partners (UA will only allow UA operated connecting flights to/from the QR US gateways and then all subsequent travel must be on QR.)

Moreover when CO and EK were still partners OnePass would allow *A/VS/etc. sectors to be sold into an award with an EK flight(s) meaning that EK (and VS) was treated as the functional equivalent of a *A partner.

Obviously there's still a fair amount of dust to settle from this merger but the two questions I have regarding QR are:
1: Will they remain a partner with M+ going forward? (my guess: yes)

2: Will M+ treat QR as the functional equivalent of a *A partner for award bookings, or in other words will we be able to mix-n-match QR sectors in with other *A partners? (my guess: yes)
Your thoughts?

Last edited by J.Edward; Apr 18, 2012 at 8:03 am
Old Sep 10, 2011, 7:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Unfortunately, I think the days of non-star partners are numbered. While I have never earned EQM/RDM on Virgin etc., having the additional partners for redemptions has certainly been nice--especially since availability has been so good.

But what do I know...
Old Feb 28, 2012, 6:05 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Any updates?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I think the future of the partnership QR is a known unknown. It is truly THE 5 star airline in the world. QR is wonderful and really does have the finest people in the business unlike United which is in roach infested fast food joint manned by the embittered elderly.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 8:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA PP
Originally Posted by NeoOfTheCRS
I think the future of the partnership QR is a known unknown. It is truly THE 5 star airline in the world. QR is wonderful and really does have the finest people in the business unlike United which is in roach infested fast food joint manned by the embittered elderly.
QR is a fabulous ride in biz; the contrast with any domestic carriers' soft and hard products is stark, a step into the past in the good sense. And all involved knew it.

But I also think the partnership days are numbered. They operated a codeshare IAD-DOH, allowing govt. and contractors to book using the UA flight number (big military presence in DOH). Great way to connect to southeast Asia for me. Sadly, no EQM or bonii earning as QR is not *A -- just the flight miles. Life is full of tradeoffs, and this was one of them.

I read somewhere that UA was going to start its own IAD-DOH service, maybe involving a stop via DBX.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
QR is a pretty darn good ride in the back of the bus as well!!!

I'd be surprised if they survive the merger as MP partner.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 9:13 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Any word regarding this yet?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K
also looking for an update. Can I redeem UA miles on QR?
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Update

At the Mini-do even in IAH this past weekend I had a chance to follow up with Scott and Shanno re: Qatar and they are *still* a partner with M+ for award redemptions.

Also the goal is to bring QR into the online reward redemption tool, however this project is still being worked on.

Finally QR will be treated as a partner a la "CO style" which means we should be able to mix-n-match QR sectors with a normal *A award. So for example one could theoretically fly something like:
CLT > IAH (via US)
IAH > LHR (via UA)
LHR > DOH (via QR)
DOH > DEL (via QR)
DEL > FRA (via LH)
FRA > YYZ (via AC)
YYZ > ORD (via UA)
ORD > CLT (via US)

...point being that QR is treated a kin to a *A partner for constructing awards.
Glad to see they stuck around. ^

Now if we could only get EK back...
Old Apr 2, 2012, 11:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I look look forward to trying them later this year. Would like to use some points try the front of the boat.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
3. Will the merged UA agents ever learn how to pronounce Qatar?
Old Apr 3, 2012, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by J.Edward
...point being that QR is treated a kin to a *A partner for constructing awards.[/indent]Glad to see they stuck around. ^

Now if we could only get EK back...
no need for EK if QR is a combinable partner ^

Hopefully EVA, Jet and TACA are the same way.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by J.Edward
Finally QR will be treated as a partner a la "CO style" which means we should be able to mix-n-match QR sectors with a normal *A award. So for example one could theoretically fly something like:
CLT > IAH (via US)
IAH > LHR (via UA)
LHR > DOH (via QR)
DOH > DEL (via QR)
DEL > FRA (via LH)
FRA > YYZ (via AC)
YYZ > ORD (via UA)
ORD > CLT (via US)

...point being that QR is treated a kin to a *A partner for constructing awards.
Glad to see they stuck around. ^
So, is itinerary similar to above bookable via phone?

I am thinking of YUL-IAH-DOH-KIX-ICN

Also, what is the availability like for business class with QR?
Old Apr 3, 2012, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Hopefully EVA, Jet and TACA are the same way.
TACA is. Not many agents are familiar with booking TA, but I did it the other day.

I would assume the others are treated the same way. It was a legacy UA rule that non-Alliance partners could not be combined with Alliance carriers.

Part of the reason may have been that the non-Alliance partners usually had different mileage costs in the legacy UA program.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA: MM
What about earning?

I was Gold on QR for a couple of years and loved their C and F service and the premium terminal at DOH. One of the best deals going was to fly Y IAH-DOH and upgrade your connecting flight to get into the premium terminal on the F side for your layover.

I would like to fly them again and it would be nice if I could get miles and points.

FWIW
DLM

Last edited by dmunz; Apr 4, 2012 at 7:46 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.