Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Refunds for E+ / Preferred fees (upgrades, seat changes, cancellations, ...) [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 7, 2013, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Economy Plus FAQs

Can I get a refund for my Economy Plus purchase if I no longer want it on my trip?

No. Economy Plus purchases are nonrefundable unless the ticket is refunded or canceled prior to travel.

If I buy Economy Plus seating, can I select a different Economy Plus seat prior to travel?

Yes. If the price of the new seat is equal to or less than the original purchase price then there will be no refund or additional charges. If the price of the new seat is greater than the price of the originally purchased seat, then the original price will be refunded and the new seat must be purchased in full.

Will my Economy Plus purchase be refunded if I cancel my trip?

Yes. In the event of a ticket refund or cancellation, Economy Plus purchases will be automatically refunded.

What will happen if I purchased Economy Plus seating but want to change my flights?

In the event of a voluntary change to a trip, Economy Plus purchases will be automatically refunded. If the ticket is partially used at the time of the change, only the value of the unused Economy Plus seating will be refunded.

What happens to my Economy Plus purchase if I get upgraded?

In the event of an upgrade, with some exclusions, purchased Economy Plus seating for the upgraded segment(s) will be automatically refunded. Exclusions include Complimentary Premier Upgrades and cases where a customer is reaccommodated into a seat of similar or greater value due to an aircraft change or other operational issue.

What happens if my itinerary changes due to a cancellation or schedule change?

In the event of any involuntary changes, such as rebooking due to a cancellation or schedule change, United will, if available, transfer the Economy Plus seating to your new flight(s) free of charge. If we are unable to accommodate you in Economy Plus, the Economy Plus purchase will be automatically refunded after flight departure. If you are re-accommodated on another airline per United’s policies, your purchase of Economy Plus seating for that portion of the itinerary will be automatically refunded.

I purchased Economy Plus, but I didn’t get to sit in an Economy Plus seat. Will I receive a refund?

Yes. If we are unable to accommodate you in Economy Plus, the Economy Plus purchase price will be automatically refunded after flight departure.

What is the deadline to request a refund for my Economy Plus purchase?

For Economy Plus refunds that aren’t issued automatically, you must submit your request within 90 days of the later of the following two dates: i) the date when the fee was originally paid; or ii) the flight date.If we were unable to accommodate you in Economy Plus or a seat of similar or greater value, and you received a new boarding pass, then the refund for the Economy Plus purchase price will be issued automatically. If you were not issued a new boarding pass, please submit a request through our Refunds page by the deadline specified above.

How long will it take to receive my Economy Plus refund?

Please allow up to seven business days from the date when the refund is issued for the activity to post to your credit card. If the refund does not post within one billing cycle, please contact your credit card company for information. For all other forms of payment, please allow up to 20 days for a refund to be processed. If you do not see a credit post within these time frames, please submit a refund request at united.com/refunds. All refunds are credited to the original form of payment used.
related thread : UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [2016 Consolidated]

Preferred seat refunds (changed flights, upgraded, purchased E+, ...)

Archive: Refunds for E+ / Preferred fees (upgrades, seat changes, cancellations, ...){Archive}
Print Wikipost

Refunds for E+ / Preferred fees (upgrades, seat changes, cancellations, ...) [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2022, 8:09 am

Programs: UA Gold
I'm sorry if this is posted elsewhere in this thread, I really did try a search but it won't include the word "plus" in the search because it's too short. If I book award travel then purchase economy plus seating during the original booking then later need to cancel I get that there is no redeposit fee if it's more than 31 days before travel but what happens to the cost to purchase economy plus seating and the other fees that go with the ticket? It's an international flight so those fees aren't small.

Thanks!
Old Jan 31, 2022, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by Coskigirl
I really did try a search but it won't include the word "plus" in the search because it's too short.
Sorry, I can’t help you with answering your question, but as far as searching, have you tried putting your search terms in quotes (“economy plus”, for example)? Here’s the results of that search: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sear...conomy-plus%94
Old Jan 31, 2022, 10:38 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Coskigirl
.... If I book award travel then purchase economy plus seating during the original booking then later need to cancel I get that there is no redeposit fee if it's more than 31 days before travel but what happens to the cost to purchase economy plus seating and the other fees that go with the ticket? It's an international flight so those fees aren't small. ...
If you cancel the flight the fees are generally refunded, the award ticket fees in a few days / a week. The E+ fee is not refunded until the flight date but you can request an earlier refund. Pretty much the same for a flight change, old frees refunded and new fees charged.
Note one notable exception are upgrade fees, they are listed as non-refundable. Some have been successful occasionally in getting those refunded but the T&Cs says no.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 2:09 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mpiotrow
Sorry, I can’t help you with answering your question, but as far as searching, have you tried putting your search terms in quotes (“economy plus”, for example)? Here’s the results of that search: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sear...conomy-plus%94
Since I've run into that problem (word omitted because it's too short), I was interested in this workaround. When I followed the link, here's what I got.
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.
(When I went to the United forum, used the search function, and entered "Economy-plus" in the Advanced Search box, I did get many hits. FWIW, the number following searchid was different. I don't know what that means.)
Old Jan 31, 2022, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by serpens
Since I've run into that problem (word omitted because it's too short), I was interested in this workaround. ...
Quote marks work on too short words

Originally Posted by serpens
When I followed the link, here's what I got. ...
That does not work as search results urls cannot be shared
Old Feb 12, 2022, 4:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
delete

Last edited by eng3; Feb 12, 2022 at 10:55 am Reason: incorrect post
Old Feb 12, 2022, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by eng3
I assume if I spend the money to purchase a seat assignment in economy, I won't get that money back if I later take an upgrade
Not sure why an 1K is asking this as there are no UA economy seat assignment fees for 1K but ....
For both E+ and preferred seating fees, if you purchase an upgrade or clear with a supported upgrade, your seating fee will be refunded. If you get a CPU or OP-up, no refund.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 6:52 pm

paid $129 for Premium Economy 21A on 777-300 ,To change to 20A, UA wants another $149

I paid $129 extra to select seat 21A in Premium Economy on 777-300ER. (2nd row)

This morning, 20A bulkhead became open, However, to change to 20A, UA wants another $149.

I went to the last page and it asked for $149 payment. There was no mention about what would happen to the original $129 that I already paid for 21A.

Is there a way to make the change by paying just the $20 difference? I have been on hold with United for the last 50 minutes... guess all live agents are busy right now.

Thanks!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 20, 2022 at 8:20 pm Reason: moved to appropriate thread
Old Feb 20, 2022, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
Originally Posted by HibernateNow

This morning, 20A bulkhead became open, However, to change to 20A, UA wants another $149.

I went to the last page and it asked for $149 payment. There was no mention about what would happen to the original $129 that I already paid for 21A.

Is there a way to make the change by paying just the $20 difference? I have been on hold with United for the last 50 minutes... guess all live agents are busy right now.

Thanks!
Seems like you selected an ECONOMY PLUS seat, not PE.

PE seats are E+ seats on routes that do not sell PE
Old Feb 20, 2022, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks!
You'll get the original $129 refunded. It should be automatic.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

Thanks!
yes, We’d need to know route (or flight/date). If I was a betting guy, I’d guess a non-PS, non-long haul HI domestic route. Am I right.

Unless I remember incorrectly, anything aside from PS or long haul HI (basically from DEN or east of there to HI), and the seats are not sold as PE - they are sold/services as E+, though the hard product is PE. So extra legroom and bigger screens, etc. As a result, these seats typically cost a bit more then the other E+ seats, or if elite, are selectable for free based on the window (check in for silver, time of booking for gold and above).

assuming these are sold as regular E+, the deal is the same as other E+. Your purchase is for a specific seat - the amounts can and do vary by seat and demand. If you want to change your seat, the deal is you have to pay full price for the new one, and by default, when the aircraft departs, you’ll be given a refund for your original seat purchase. Some reports have said that those purchasing new E+ seats have filed for a refund prior to departure on the website received it, though that’s not the ‘official’ process - officially, it will be refunded after departure - it takes about a week after that to show up on your statement. An agent may be willing to allow you just to pay the difference, but again, that’s not SOP, so they may deny that.

honestly, if it were me, I’d just select the new seat, pay for it, and either wait for a week after departure for standard refund, or file a refund request online if you’d rather not wait. No point really in waiting for an agent, IME, for something that might/might not be done.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 8:11 pm

Calling is the only way to get immediate credit, otherwise the original E+ fee will be refunded AFTER the flight occurs.
You can purchase online now and wait or eventually call for a refund.

See more on Premium Plus Seats Sold as E+? Service levels? (economy)
Note you will be getting E+ service, not PremPlus service.

If you had actually purchased a PremPlus ticket, there would have been no seat change fee.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 20, 2022 at 8:22 pm Reason: link
Old Feb 24, 2022, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Calling is the only way to get immediate credit, otherwise the original E+ fee will be refunded AFTER the flight occurs.
You can purchase online now and wait or eventually call for a refund.

See more on Premium Plus Seats Sold as E+? Service levels? (economy)
Note you will be getting E+ service, not PremPlus service.

If you had actually purchased a PremPlus ticket, there would have been no seat change fee.
sorry... I was in correct in my original question. I paid to select the Economy Plus seat. (which was actually a Premium Plus seat sold as Economy Plus on the 777-300ER to ORD) I went ahead and paid the $149 for the new bulk head seat. The price that I originally paid was refunded to my credit card 2 days later. the actual flight date is still 2 weeks from now.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 10:11 am

.... The price that I originally paid was refunded to my credit card 2 days later. the actual flight date is still 2 weeks from now.
It is good to hear UA is now giving prompt refunds, it always seemed odd to wait for day of travel to do that.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It is good to hear UA is now giving prompt refunds, it always seemed odd to wait for day of travel to do that.
UA must have updated their system to speed up the refund process.

The Economy Plus fee was refunded within 2 days after moving from one E+ seat to another E+ seat(different prices)

On the day of the flight, I paid for an upgrade at the check-in counter(live agent). The upgrade fee was instantly charged. The original E+ fee was refunded to my credit card before the flight took off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.