Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

First Bad Experience with United: Recommended Change

Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat, AA GLD

Hating United right now. Trying to surprise my girlfriend with a trip from New York to Argentina (connects in IAD). Since I used SWUs, they require a signature to issue her boarding pass so while I can print mine out (so not a security/verification issue on the travel itself), I cannot print hers out...but instead get a "redemption card" which requires going to the desk and checking in with them there.

This is only necessary b/c the SWUs where used over the phone (had to be b/c from continental). If they had been United SWUs done online verification would not be required. But of course I checked in online using my mileage plus so not sure what the difference iss

I generally think the United website is a miserable joke of a site for a large corporation with a major online strategy. This is the first time it's been moe than a minor annoyance and hit a major nerve (may seem trivial to some, but very important trip and surprise...can probably guess the reason).

Very specific case where this matters but speaks to a broader lack of systems that 1K desk and tWeb Support could not even do anything.

Please United...fix up the basic functionality of the site. If someone books a flight and checks in online, allow them to confirm the SWU for a companion there. [Oh...and stop dropping frequent flyer numbers...they still can't get her non-United FF# to stick even when inputed at the 1k desk.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:40 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The need to personally authorize sponsoring SWUs in some cases has been a long time problem. Just FYI the authorizing at any airport can be done in advance avoiding the OLCI issue or the SWUs can be applied in advance online which also avoids the problem.

As for the functionality of united.com, it has its pluses and minuses --suspect most of the focus will be on the unified online presence which appears to be more likely based on co.com.

past thread on this issue http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 1, 2011 at 10:47 am Reason: link
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:42 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
FYI, you could have avoided this problem by having the SWU's transferred to your UA account and then doing the upgrade sponsorship yourself online. The phone agent didnt have to do it for you. I just did the opposite myself..had two SWU's transferred to CO but then I did the upgrade online.

Won't she still be surprised? I think you can figure out some way to deal with this.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat, AA GLD
There's always a way to deal with it and I more importantly I recognize it's a good problem to have. It's just been a stressful process getting everything lined up perfectly and frustrating to be 99% of the way there and then run into a technology limitations and outmoded systems on something that by should be able to be done.

As a side note, I will add a big thumbs up to the 1K desk and 1K web support desk who were great in trying to resolve this for me.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 11:35 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by saathich
... It's just been a stressful process getting everything lined up perfectly and frustrating to be 99% of the way there and then run into a technology limitations and outmoded systems on something that by should be able to be done..
Welcome to my world
Old Sep 1, 2011, 12:00 pm

Programs: VAG
OK, I've read the whole thing and I'm still confused as to what the problem is. The problem is that you have to go to the (1K) checkin desk to get your girlfriend's boarding pass for the flight which they're apparently giving you a free and pre-cleared upgrade for?

I don't know whether to be more surprised that (a) you bothered to make a thread about this or (b) that you somehow got to 1K status and this is your *first* bad experience with United.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 12:15 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
OK, so go to 1K check-in and just get the boarding pass there. It takes some time, and there has always been room for improvement with UA's IT infrastructure (including but not limited to .bomb). But I wouldn't call this minor inconvenience a "bad experience," or else just about every flight I've taken with United would be a "bad experience" in comparison also.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Sorry that you feel this is a bad experience. It is simply the process for getting upgrades confirmed on a gifted SWU. If you would have sponsored the upgrades online out of your United account, you wouldnt have to go to sign a bluey at the airport. The only solution is to read through the volumes of threads on this topic on this form and dont assume that CO and UA are following the same processes as they are still operating as two seperate airlines.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
This seems to be a common issue across airlines. I bought a CO ticket on CO.com for a CO flight and upgraded with CO miles. Checkin time comes and I'm unable to checkin online and unable to checkin at a kiosk; I had to get the attention of an agent which took quite a bit of effort.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 9:25 am
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
There are always solutions. Distract her by telling her to go pick up a newspaper or something and get the boarding pass yourself.

I'm surprising my girlfriend with a flight to Hawaii in a few months. I foolishly included her MP number on the reservation, so it popped up in My Reservations. The next time we were in the airport I stopped by CS and asked them to remove her number from the reservation. The first time they heard that question, but it was fine.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Is this a problem that Web Support can fix? Or is it "too late" once the upgrade has been applied by a phone CS agent?
Old Sep 2, 2011, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Is this a problem that Web Support can fix? Or is it "too late" once the upgrade has been applied by a phone CS agent?
Web Support can definitely fix it, have done it many times when I get the "upgrades not authorized" note when OLCI'ing
Old Sep 2, 2011, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Jorgen
OK, I've read the whole thing and I'm still confused as to what the problem is. The problem is that you have to go to the (1K) checkin desk to get your girlfriend's boarding pass for the flight which they're apparently giving you a free and pre-cleared upgrade for?
Sigh. I've seen this sort of response before. Why is one not entitled to an efficient process simply because a freebie is involved? Should I not expect my luggage to show up since, as an elite, I don't pay baggage fees?
Old Sep 2, 2011, 2:18 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by felinaar
There are always solutions. Distract her by telling her to go pick up a newspaper or something and get the boarding pass yourself.

I'm surprising my girlfriend with a flight to Hawaii in a few months. I foolishly included her MP number on the reservation, so it popped up in My Reservations. The next time we were in the airport I stopped by CS and asked them to remove her number from the reservation. The first time they heard that question, but it was fine.
+1

I totally fooled my wife on our honeymoon. She thought we were going to spend a week in San Francisco. Unbeknownst to her we were actually flying to Rome.

I managed to check in with her beside me and she never had a clue. I asked her to stand back with the bags so we didn't crowd the desk. I also had told her that I prefer using passports for ID even when flying domestically because of less hassles with the TSA. We flew to IAD, went and sat in the RCC until it was time to board. I didn't tell her until I handed her her BP on the moon shuttle. Needless to say she was blown away.

Long story short, there is always a way to work it out and still maintain the surprise. Just be creative and have fun.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.