FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Can I get miles for someone else's flight? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1244814-can-i-get-miles-someone-elses-flight.html)

travfar Aug 5, 2011 3:29 pm

Can I get miles for someone else's flight?

I'm booking flights for my parents. Can I accrue their miles onto my Mileage Plus number? The system seemed to bawk when I booked it for my dad saying the name didn't match. But it didn't have a problem when I booked for my mom.

CDKing Aug 5, 2011 3:31 pm

Nope. The points belong to the traveler. sometimes if the names match enough it could work

star_world Aug 5, 2011 5:22 pm

Regardless of the names being close / matching, it can easily result in the loss of all of your miles and the closure of your account if it was discovered that you were doing this intentionally.

lax2010 Aug 5, 2011 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by travfar (Post 16867606)
I'm booking flights for my parents. Can I accrue their miles onto my Mileage Plus number? The system seemed to bawk when I booked it for my dad saying the name didn't match. But it didn't have a problem when I booked for my mom.

Great! Just leave your dad at home and send your mom all over the world to accumulate mileage for you :-)

Seriously, you can't do that for MP, mom or dad.

BearX220 Aug 5, 2011 5:49 pm

It's a frequent flyer program, not a frequent buyer program.

jmr50 Aug 5, 2011 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by travfar (Post 16867606)

The closest legitimate thing you can do is purchase them with a United Airlines credit card. Some earn as much as 3 RDM for each $1 spent, which could easily be more than the flight miles on some routes.

george82 Sep 9, 2011 9:23 am

Hi! Why don't you ask them to sign-up for the frequent flyer program and then transfer the miles to you?

WineCountryUA Sep 9, 2011 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by george82 (Post 17081367)
Hi! Why don't you ask them to sign-up for the frequent flyer program and then transfer the miles to you?

Have you looked at the costs of mileage transfers?? Not in general a wise use of money.

avidflyer Sep 9, 2011 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 17083488)
Have you looked at the costs of mileage transfers?? Not in general a wise use of money.

+1 and why? It is FREE to have them book tickets for you out of their accounts. No need to move the miles if you are going to use them for travel.

WineCountryUA Sep 9, 2011 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by avidflyer (Post 17083550)
+1 and why? It is FREE to have them book tickets for you out of their accounts. No need to move the miles if you are going to use them for travel.

althought that does require enough miles in the account to do the booking, potentially an issue for an infrequent traveler.

Innerloop Sep 9, 2011 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 16868239)
It's a frequent flyer program, not a frequent buyer program.

However, United DOES have a frequent buyer program, but its not nearly as straightforward or rewarding as Mileage Plus. Search for threads about "Perks Plus" for info. Its only intended for legitimate businesses purchasing tickets, so you'd also have to convince them you are a business.

Only way I've discovered to benefit in this sort of situation.

Jigen666 Sep 10, 2011 11:50 am

Originally Posted by CDKing (Post 16867622)
Nope. The points belong to the traveler. sometimes if the names match enough it could work

Pre 9/11 the airlines didn't check names so thoroughly when you put in your FF# on the ticket. If your last name matched the member's name, you could sometimes get away with it with using the parents/offspring (assuming they weren't flying with you). Now it's impossible, unless possibly you are a Jr. buying a ticket for your dad (and neither of you used Jr., Sr. in your name).

Mike Jacoubowsky Sep 11, 2011 1:53 am

Originally Posted by Jigen666 (Post 17086830)
Pre 9/11 the airlines didn't check names so thoroughly when you put in your FF# on the ticket. If your last name matched the member's name, you could sometimes get away with it with using the parents/offspring (assuming they weren't flying with you). Now it's impossible, unless possibly you are a Jr. buying a ticket for your dad (and neither of you used Jr., Sr. in your name).

I've often wondered if there's a whole underground economy built around people with common named (Jim Smith) who could trade non-refundable tickets with each other. With a name like mine, it's not something I'd have much luck with. :eek:

bouncingbug Sep 11, 2011 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 17083896)
althought that does require enough miles in the account to do the booking, potentially an issue for an infrequent traveler.

Another problem is that the you would be spreading flying miles over multiple accounts and can't get the elite status

narvik Apr 28, 2013 3:31 pm

This IS possible!

I had the same question as the OP......googled it, and came across this page and one from United:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ghtsearch.aspx

Relevant section:
Can I book a ticket for someone else with my MileagePlus miles?
Yes, you may request to have a MileagePlus award ticket issued in someone else’s name.

FWIW

EDIT: oops, I misread the OP's situation, and relied too much on google's search result. Never mind then. Two different things.