Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best lounge in HKG for UA Travelers? (HKG UC closed for remodeling Spring 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum

I'm a PC/RCC member and Gold/1P and have a 2 hour layover in HKG in sept traveling on UA-E+. I'm sort of new to the Gold Lounge access. I guess I can pick any *A lounge I want. Any opinion on the best *A one. SQ?
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:42 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dkmatter
I'm a PC/RCC member and Gold/1P and have a 2 hour layover in HKG in sept traveling on UA-E+. I'm sort of new to the Gold Lounge access. I guess I can pick any *A lounge I want. Any opinion on the best *A one. SQ?
If you want to see the best Red Carpet Club in the system, go to the RCC in Hong Kong. I don't think there's a better *A lounge there. (Yes the CX Pier or Wing is better, but that's not a *A lounge).

HKG has good food (hot entrees--and usually several to choose from, ice cream, Oreos and other treats), good drink, it's spacious, has showers...It's how all RCCs SHOULD be.

Some say the TG lounge is better, I don't like it as much, but I could see how some might say that.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold, 1.8MM; Marriott lifetime Titanium
I also prefer the RCC in HKG. The funny thing is though, I have been in there 20 or more times and have never noticed showers in the normal RCC side only in the IFL side. Loungewki confirms it though and I will have to check next time I am there.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by dkmatter
You can effectively skip SQ in this case. SQ's SKL in HKG, FWIW, is the worst *G lounge in HKG (as TG and UA RCC are better)...
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by MBS PremExec
If you want to see the best Red Carpet Club in the system, go to the RCC in Hong Kong. I don't think there's a better *A lounge there. (Yes the CX Pier or Wing is better, but that's not a *A lounge).

HKG has good food (hot entrees--and usually several to choose from, ice cream, Oreos and other treats), good drink, it's spacious, has showers...It's how all RCCs SHOULD be.

Some say the TG lounge is better, I don't like it as much, but I could see how some might say that.
+1. The SKL is nothing to write home about. No windows, and far from the UA gates.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold

HKG is indeed the best RCC in the system, though the FCL attached is nothing special. The showers are off to the right, by the secondary food station, not the main one right inside, but the one over by the TVs. I like to sit by the edge overlooking the gates and watch all the activity below.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
The shower room in the RCC did not have a hair dryer when I was there last month. Be sure to bring your own or ask the front desk if they have one.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
The SKL in HKG is a dump.

I thought the TG lounge was the best around.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Boghopper
+1. The SKL is nothing to write home about. No windows, and far from the UA gates.
The SKL may not have had the airy ambiance and views of the UA or TG lounges, but I thought the food offerings were substantially better. And while the SKL isn't near the UA gates, it's not that far off where you first enter the terminal.

Load up at the SKL and then head off to the RCC. Since SQ took away our access at SFO I have no guilt about eating their food.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by SFOSpiff
The SKL may not have had the airy ambiance and views of the UA or TG lounges, but I thought the food offerings were substantially better. And while the SKL isn't near the UA gates, it's not that far off where you first enter the terminal.

Load up at the SKL and then head off to the RCC. Since SQ took away our access at SFO I have no guilt about eating their food.
+1^ Thanks for your suggestion. I won't feel guilty either.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by entropy
The SKL in HKG is a dump.

I thought the TG lounge was the best around.
+1 on the TG lounge. Lots of hot food choices.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓

Well...trust me...and I can't believe I am saying this:

Not let the brand SQ to fool you.

SKL in HKG may be the worst in their system and the UA RCC is the best in our system.

For the food - I will say, thanks but no thanks.

For SQ SKL, most of the food offering are Asian style. And trust me - you can find better when you pay in the airport. Also drink choices are not as much as UA has (UA has Perrier and ice cream...)

You are welcome to go to SKL...but you will not regret to move to RCC or TG ROC afterward.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 12:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
It's how all RCCs SHOULD be.
^ Although last time I was there I met a Kiwi who seemed a bit disappointed by it (spoiled by Koru Clubs). Obviously he'd never been to a US RCC!

Originally Posted by flyinbob
HKG is indeed the best RCC in the system, though the FCL attached is nothing special. The showers are off to the right, by the secondary food station, not the main one right inside, but the one over by the TVs. I like to sit by the edge overlooking the gates and watch all the activity below.
You mean the one with the dumplings, sushi and samosas? The fact that there's two food stations says something about an RCC. I usually set up shop somewhere inside at a table with power, plug in my laptop then enjoy the view while having a beer (they have some decent ones too... not just "house beer") by the edge. I love how open the area is; you can see the sky, airport ground operations and people walking around below.

The one good thing about the SKL is that while it's ridiculously far away from the UA gates, there's more food and shopping in the immediate area. With that being said, the RCC and TG lounge are pretty much directly upstairs from a smoking room which can be a godsend if you don't want to stumble through HKG half-drunk looking for a place to smoke.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 12:26 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by garykung
Not let the brand SQ to fool you.
I'm not fooled by their branding. But that doesn't mean I didn't want to see what they had to offer, and I found the food selection much more varied than I saw at other lounges.

For SQ SKL, most of the food offering are Asian style.
Well, that is part of why I went to Asia.

You are welcome to go to SKL...but you will not regret to move to RCC or TG ROC afterward.
I don't disagree that the RCC at HKG may be one of the best RCCs around, but I still didn't think it compared to the TG or SKL lounges. The massage chairs at the TG lounge were nice.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not fooled by their branding. But that doesn't mean I didn't want to see what they had to offer, and I found the food selection much more varied than I saw at other lounges.
Are you sure? Last time I checked, there are more food in RCC.

Well, that is part of why I went to Asia.
What I mean is you can buy more decent food in the airport without getting into the lounge.

I don't disagree that the RCC at HKG may be one of the best RCCs around, but I still didn't think it compared to the TG or SKL lounges. The massage chairs at the TG lounge were nice.
I am not comparing TG ROC with UA RCC. I simply say that SQ SKL in HKG is the worst in HKG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.