Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best lounge in HKG for UA Travelers? (HKG UC closed for remodeling Spring 2016)

Best lounge in HKG for UA Travelers? (HKG UC closed for remodeling Spring 2016)

Old Jul 22, 2011, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Santander
^ Although last time I was there I met a Kiwi who seemed a bit disappointed by it (spoiled by Koru Clubs). Obviously he'd never been to a US RCC!
I have a friend who frequent QF lounge in SYD, last time I brought him in the RCC in HKG, he was totally surprised by the amount of food offerings.

The fact that there's two food stations says something about an RCC.
The reason there is a separate food station serving sushi in HKG RCC because NH pax now directed to use RCC as well, and NH have 4 daily departures out of HKG.

With that being said, the RCC and TG lounge are pretty much directly upstairs from a smoking room which can be a godsend if you don't want to stumble through HKG half-drunk looking for a place to smoke.

Agree on the smoking room part, the departure level smoking rooms just couldn't handle the huge smoking population from mainland china. I don't even understand why they have the built the smoking rooms so small in the first place compare with NRT.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SFOSpiff
The SKL may not have had the airy ambiance and views of the UA or TG lounges, but I thought the food offerings were substantially better. And while the SKL isn't near the UA gates, it's not that far off where you first enter the terminal.
Originally Posted by garykung
Not let the brand SQ to fool you. SKL in HKG may be the worst in their system and the UA RCC is the best in our system.
For a J lounge, the new SKL is big improvement over the old one. The lack of a separate F lounge is a big no-no in my book.
Here are some pics from our visit last fall.
SQ HKG SilverKris Lounge
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:04 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Been to all 3 *A lounge at HKG last week and my order of preference would be: TG > UA > SQ. SQ's SKL is not a dump as it used to be (they renovated it recently). Their food selection is better than UA and similar to TG. However, UA and TG beats SQ's lounge ambiance! Like others have mentioned, there are no windows in the SQ lounge and it's really far from the TG/LH/UA gates (you could visit the SQ lounge first and then take a train to visit the UA/TG lounge).
Old Jul 22, 2011, 7:55 pm
dfe
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K/MM; *A Gold Life; CX Gold; Marriott Platinum LT; SPG Plat; HHonors Diamond
Far and away the HKG RCC is the best in the brand. I have never tried another Gold lounge at HKG so can't speak comparatively. I have often complained how dismally poor NRT is commpared to HGK. NRT is an attractive lounge but the offerings are pathetic.

On my last pass through HKG a couple of months ago I made it a point to get the manager's name and sent her a nice complimentary e-mail as to what an outstanding lounge she runs.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 8:19 pm

I am flying around the world next month and the TK HKG-IST-LAX flight in September. My co-worker is planning on giving me his 2 President's Club passes that he earned from his Chase One Pass Plus Card, which he is planning on cancelling. Will I be able to use one of these passes for access at the HKG RCC?
Old Jul 22, 2011, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by future elite
I am flying around the world next month and the TK HKG-IST-LAX flight in September. My co-worker is planning on giving me his 2 President's Club passes that he earned from his Chase One Pass Plus Card, which he is planning on cancelling. Will I be able to use one of these passes for access at the HKG RCC?
I'm not familiar with the PC passes from the credit card. Do they have the cardholder's name on them? (I'm only asking because my AS lounge passes from BoA have my name printed on them) If they're just normal PC day passes, they are accepted at any PC/RCC in the system.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 9:35 pm

I'm not familiar with the PC passes from the credit card. Do they have the cardholder's name on them? (I'm only asking because my AS lounge passes from BoA have my name printed on them) If they're just normal PC day passes, they are accepted at any PC/RCC in the system.
I haven't seen them before, so I don't know if they have the cardholder's name on them. Hopefully they don't; otherwise, they would be useless to me and probably to him as he doesn't see himself flying UACO before they expire.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 9:39 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
I lounge hopped on 2 occasions recently in HKG. My ranking:

RCC>SKL/TG.

RCC has much more hot food and variety.

SKL has on small food area near the seats, just past the internet desks. However, if you go a little further, to the right, there is a large dining area with a lot of hot food options. IMO, slightly better than TG's food. Of course, it depends on your food preferences.

The SKL/TG tradeoff is that SKL has no views and TG has grat ones.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does the RCC still have the lowest of the low in quality when it comes to booze. I was amazed just how bad the choices were for Gin, Vodka and Bourbon last time I was there. I believe they had Early Times as the Bourbon of choice

I've always found the TG club much better than the RCC for both food quality and drink quality (they aren't using the cheapest pours). Nevertheless the spaciousness of the RCC makes it a good choice when the TG club is crowded.

At least the RCC is a nice place to refresh after a 15 hour flight from the states before cramming yourself into a 737 for 4 hours for a 1am arrival into Singapore
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by SFO777
For a J lounge, the new SKL is big improvement over the old one. The lack of a separate F lounge is a big no-no in my book.
Here are some pics from our visit last fall.
SQ HKG SilverKris Lounge
Since there is no F and C separate, I don't think it is fair to call a J/C lounge anymore, it is for all F, R, and C pax.

Originally Posted by Vulcan
The SKL/TG tradeoff is that SKL has no views and TG has grat ones.
Other than no views in SKL, they had also taken out the shower after the renovation, whereas TG and RCC both have them.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:42 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
At least the RCC is a nice place to refresh after a 15 hour flight from the states before cramming yourself into a 737 for 4 hours for a 1am arrival into Singapore
Don't get me started on that one....but hey...if we are talking as the thread says....the best lounge in HKG...my vote is the Wing F/C side.......great views...showers...etc...followed by the Pier...then the Cabin....nice decor in the Cabin....no showers though...

But if we exclude the CX side of things there, I was always partial to the IFL HKG. The menu you can order food off of...especially the soup....great service there....I have used the RCC showers before when the 2 restrooms were full in the HKG IFL and they are spacious shower rooms....The HKG IFL along with the IFL in LAX is what I miss the most from my UA INTL travel days...
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:50 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Why all the negativity about the SQ lounge? It's food selection is quite nice (better then the RCC and TG lingo IMO) even if the seating is "bad". I'd say the TG and SQ lounge tie, with the RCC in last. As always.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
I prefer HKG RCC over TG ROC. I can understand why others might like the other way around, but I was not impressed with TG's food choices, nor did I care for the massage chair. I especially like RCC's varied seating options.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
with the RCC in last. As always.
And where does the CO PC rank? Oh that's right, there isn't one. That's funny, I thought world class airlines had lounges at major airports.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 7:02 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by SFOSpiff
And where does the CO PC rank? Oh that's right, there isn't one. That's funny, I thought world class airlines had lounges at major airports.
With only 1x daily 777 and 2x weekly 737....

I agree with everybody here that the TG/RCC is the way to go... Also if you want to grab a shower do it at the RCC, because TG's shower facility blows.

The only advantage of the SQ lounge is the booze selection...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.