Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
8/8/14 Here's the "fine print" regarding those who have received a bonus from this product in the past:

I understand that any new cardmember bonus offers for this product are not available to either current or previous cardmembers of this product who received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the last 24 months.
I understand that the terms of my account, including the APRs, are subject to change. Any such changes will be made in accordance with the Cardmember Agreement.

If you received the bonus >24 months ago you are eligible to apply. Doesn't matter when you closed the card.

Major Benefits (post-June 2018)
  • Free first checked a bag - The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free on United-operated flights when the primary Cardmember includes their MileagePlus number in their reservation and purchases their tickets from United with their United MileagePlus Explorer Card. For complete details, please visit united.com/chasebag .
  • Priority boarding - Primary Cardmembers and their companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding. (BG2)
  • No fees on foreign transactions
  • 2 United ClubSM passes each year for your travel
  • Access to XN expanded Economy Saver award inventory (not a published benefit)
  • Chip-enabled Card provides added security
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United.
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels (NEW)
  • Earn 1 mile per $1 spent - You'll earn 1 mile for each $1 spent on all other purchases.
  • Miles don't expire as long as your credit card account remains open - Your miles don't expire as long as you are a Cardmember, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn. UA miles not longer expire
  • Any seat, any time, on United-operated flights - Primary Cardmembers can use their miles to book any available seat, any time, on United-operated flights when they redeem
  • CPU award ticket eligibility for primary cardholder (only) if MP elite
  • Carryon bag allowed with Boarding Group 2 even if Basic Economy ticket
  • 25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights (NEW)
  • Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years. (NEW)

Cuts as of June 2018Purchase Price Protection - removed
Return Protection - removed
Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance - reduced

10,000 bonus miles for $25K spend will no longer be available after May 31, 2018.Those who spend $10,000-$24,999 by May 31 will receive 4,000 bonus miles this year only.

New benefits2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels
25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights
Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years.
Print Wikipost

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2014, 12:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kale73
I phoned last week to request a replacement Explorer card since the mag stripe on my "old" card seemed to be having some issues. The "new" card arrived in yesterday's mail. I've never seen a card quite like this one before. There's no "embossed" account number on the front of the card. The account number and expiration date (raised numbers) is only on the back. Also, the MasterCard (this is an older, pre-Visa Explorer card account) logo appears nowhere on the front, only on the back. My name is both front and back.

None of the above really matters, it's just different.

What I'm truly concerned with and that might matter is that my complete MP number is also "printed" on the back of the card. It wasn't on the "old" card and I'm not sure I like it there.

Any thoughts?
seems exactly the Club card has been since it started. Are any of the numbers on the back raised? They are not on the Club card and therefore will not work with the pressure impression card machines (still found in taxis). That has been my biggest issue with the card and the strange looks on the format.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 27, 2014 at 3:17 pm
Old Sep 27, 2014, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
short exactly the Club card has been since it started. Are any of the numbers on the back raised? They are not on the Club card and therefore will not work with the pressure impression card machines (still found in taxis). That has been my biggest issue with the card and the strange looks on the format.
The personalized information (name, card #, exp. date, and MP#) on the back are all slightly raised, though not as much as the embossed information on my other credit cards. Name on front is also raised, although it doesn't feel as 'high' as the characters on the back.

However, if one were to take an imprint of the back of the card, my MP# would be there along with all of the relevant credit card information.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:04 pm

Daughter (UA GM status) has a Chase MP Explorer card. She made an award reservation in economy and paid the taxes with another card (she didn't have the MP card when the award reservation was made). Will she receive priority boarding? If she upgrades to E+ and pays that fee with her MP card will that get priority boarding?
Thanks.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:27 pm

Programs: Hotels.com WR Silver ;)
Although officially she isn't entitled to it, I'm pretty sure she will get the priority boarding.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 12:21 pm

Thanks. In which case?

1. She has the MP Explorer card and it, as well as her ticket, has her MP #, but it wasn't used to pay for any part of her E- ticket (taxes). She stays in E-.

2. She buys up to E+ and uses the card to pay the upgrade fee.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jc719
Thanks. In which case?

1. She has the MP Explorer card and it, as well as her ticket, has her MP #, but it wasn't used to pay for any part of her E- ticket (taxes). She stays in E-.

2. She buys up to E+ and uses the card to pay the upgrade fee.
Probably #2. UA has become a lot more strict with applying Explorer card benefits as of late. I mean, I recently used MY explorer card to pay the taxes and fees on an award ticket for me booked through my mother's MileagePlus account and it didn't automatically waive the bag fees, even though it's my card and I'm the traveler. Though I chalk that up to UA's crappy IT systems.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
UA has become a lot more strict with applying Explorer card benefits as of late. I mean, I recently used MY explorer card to pay the taxes and fees on an award ticket for me booked through my mother's MileagePlus account and it didn't automatically waive the bag fees, even though it's my card and I'm the traveler. Though I chalk that up to UA's crappy IT systems.
This became true, only with respect to the baggage-fee exception, a number of months ago. It remains untrue with respect to the rest of the card benefits, to my knowledge.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 4:28 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
I recently used MY explorer card to pay the taxes and fees on an award ticket for me booked through my mother's MileagePlus account and it didn't automatically waive the bag fees, even though it's my card and I'm the traveler.
How did you resolve this? did you end up calling UA?
Old Nov 7, 2014, 12:41 pm

Follow up to my own question...

Originally Posted by jc719
Daughter (UA GM status) has a Chase MP Explorer card. She made an award reservation in economy and paid the taxes with another card (she didn't have the MP card when the award reservation was made). Will she receive priority boarding? If she upgrades to E+ and pays that fee with her MP card will that get priority boarding?
Thanks.
She left the reservation unchanged (in E-). She got Group 2 boarding since (I guess) her MP number on the reservation matched her MP number on her Chase card. So just having the MP Explorer card (not necessarily using it to buy a ticket) is sufficient. I don't know whether she got a free bag due to having the card since it was a transpac that got one free anyway.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by allanfan
How did you resolve this? did you end up calling UA?
I went into my account and under traveler information it had my name and my Mother's MP number. I changed it to mine and voila - a few hours/next day/after a system refresh it showed 1 free checked bag which was confirmed at the airport.

Quick question for next year, is the PQD waiver with $25k spending measured based on calender year?
Old Nov 8, 2014, 11:32 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Quick question for next year, is the PQD waiver with $25k spending measured based on calender year?
it appears to be calendar transaction dates

See discussion of this in
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-2014-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nited-com.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nsparency.html
Old Nov 8, 2014, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe it is. The same is true of the 10K miles at $25K spend. I just figure that when I get the 10K bonus miles, I've also qualified for the PQD waiver.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: United Silver; Marriott Silver
United Club Passes

When I signed up for the Explorer card one of the benefits was supposed to be 2 UC passes per year. I've heard that you don't get those until you've had the card for a year. Is this true? Has this been everyone else's experience?
Old Mar 27, 2015, 11:54 am
RNE

Originally Posted by swodog94
When I signed up for the Explorer card one of the benefits was supposed to be 2 UC passes per year. I've heard that you don't get those until you've had the card for a year. Is this true? Has this been everyone else's experience?
Yes and yes.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold 2014 - Silver 2018
I signed up for the Explorer Card in December 2014, received the 2 UC passes in January and the 50K sign up bonus miles at the end of February after required card usage. I might even fly United again. With E+ purchase, I might be considered a "Lite" Premier Gold. :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.