Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
8/8/14 Here's the "fine print" regarding those who have received a bonus from this product in the past:

I understand that any new cardmember bonus offers for this product are not available to either current or previous cardmembers of this product who received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the last 24 months.
I understand that the terms of my account, including the APRs, are subject to change. Any such changes will be made in accordance with the Cardmember Agreement.

If you received the bonus >24 months ago you are eligible to apply. Doesn't matter when you closed the card.

Major Benefits (post-June 2018)
  • Free first checked a bag - The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free on United-operated flights when the primary Cardmember includes their MileagePlus number in their reservation and purchases their tickets from United with their United MileagePlus Explorer Card. For complete details, please visit united.com/chasebag .
  • Priority boarding - Primary Cardmembers and their companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding. (BG2)
  • No fees on foreign transactions
  • 2 United ClubSM passes each year for your travel
  • Access to XN expanded Economy Saver award inventory (not a published benefit)
  • Chip-enabled Card provides added security
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United.
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels (NEW)
  • Earn 1 mile per $1 spent - You'll earn 1 mile for each $1 spent on all other purchases.
  • Miles don't expire as long as your credit card account remains open - Your miles don't expire as long as you are a Cardmember, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn. UA miles not longer expire
  • Any seat, any time, on United-operated flights - Primary Cardmembers can use their miles to book any available seat, any time, on United-operated flights when they redeem
  • CPU award ticket eligibility for primary cardholder (only) if MP elite
  • Carryon bag allowed with Boarding Group 2 even if Basic Economy ticket
  • 25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights (NEW)
  • Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years. (NEW)

Cuts as of June 2018Purchase Price Protection - removed
Return Protection - removed
Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance - reduced

10,000 bonus miles for $25K spend will no longer be available after May 31, 2018.Those who spend $10,000-$24,999 by May 31 will receive 4,000 bonus miles this year only.

New benefits2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels
25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights
Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years.
Print Wikipost

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2014, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by mduell
So do that? I don't understand what the issue is here.
The issue is, the ticket is only $289 and my voucher would cover the entire cost of the ticket meaning $0 would be charged to the MP card. So that goes back to the actual question, will I still get my card benefits for this ticket?

If there is a way to somehow increase the fare from $289 to $301 that would solve all my problems. If you somehow know of a way to do so please share.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 7:41 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by PJV33
The issue is, the ticket is only $289 and my voucher would cover the entire cost of the ticket meaning $0 would be charged to the MP card. So that goes back to the actual question, will I still get my card benefits for this ticket?

If there is a way to somehow increase the fare from $289 to $301 that would solve all my problems. If you somehow know of a way to do so please share.
Try manually entering the next fare class up when booking, for coach it can often be rather small.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Have a question regarding a reservation I would like to make with a e-cert.

I have the explorer card and a $300 e-cert. It is a short haul domestic flight for $289. If I purchase the flight and use the e-cert for everything, will my explorer benefits still apply or do I need to purchase something extra such as e+ ? I am trying to avoid the baggage fees so the e+ wouldn't be worth it for me and the e-cert will only cover the flight, no ancillary or extra costs.
For the first time ever i'm wishing for a more expensive seat, say $301, so I can apply the extra cost to the card and get the card benefits i'm entitled to.

You can specify a fare class when searching on UA.com, so that may be an option. If the cheapest ($289) fare is W, try searching for a V fare and see if that increases the price and by how much, etc.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by tracerit
I got approved for the United Explorer card last week and was wondering can I sign my parents up for the cards as well, qualify for the bonus and then transfer the bonus miles to my United MileagePlus account? I read on United's website that you can transfer miles from one account to another but it's $15 every 1,000 miles transferred. But if I can link my parents' Chase Explorer cards to my United MileagePlus acount and dump it there first to avoid any transfer fees.
No. You can't link your parents' new cards to your account.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
You can specify a fare class when searching on UA.com, so that may be an option. If the cheapest ($289) fare is W, try searching for a V fare and see if that increases the price and by how much, etc.
thanks for the helpful advice. the original fare was a Q, so I attempted M, E, U, H and it came back at $338 for H. I'll keep an eye on it and see what I can do, it's not for another few months anyway.

thanks!
Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:10 pm

I now have the mileage plus explorer Visa to go with my old mileage plus explorer mastercard. From what I have read, the spend on the cards will be added together to meet the waiver requirement for PQD.
Is it also added together in regard to the 10,000 mile bonus for spending $25,000? So can I spend $10,000 on one card and $15,000 on the other and get the 10,000 mile bonus, or, conversely, can I spend $25,000 on each card and get the 10,000 mile bonus twice?
Old Sep 8, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA GS
My apologies if this has been covered before. I booked an one way award flight for a friend (no status) using their account/miles. I did, however, use my United Explorer card to pay for the 9/11 fee ($2.50).

After checking in, my friend received a Group 2 boarding pass. I was surprised and realized that my Explorer Card that provided the higher boarding status (should have been in group 5).
Old Sep 13, 2014, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I have a question about booking an award flight using Aeroplan miles and paying the fees with my Explorer card to avoid the 1st checked bag fee.

The flight is IAH-YYC in Y. According to .bomb's luggage calculator the 1st checked bag has been enhanced to a $25 fee when it used to be free. So if I book this flight, I want to use my card to avoid the fee.

Has anybody done this? I know from a current reservation that I booked with Aeroplan miles and used a random credit card, it says "Form of Payment: MISC DOCUMENT", on .bomb when I view receipt for the flight. So I worry that using the Explorer card won't automatically apply the checked bag benefit. Would I be able to email the CC statement to United and have a CSR manually waive the bag fee?
Old Sep 13, 2014, 3:55 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I have a question about booking an award flight using Aeroplan miles and paying the fees with my Explorer card to avoid the 1st checked bag fee.

The flight is IAH-YYC in Y. According to .bomb's luggage calculator the 1st checked bag has been enhanced to a $25 fee when it used to be free. So if I book this flight, I want to use my card to avoid the fee.

Has anybody done this? I know from a current reservation that I booked with Aeroplan miles and used a random credit card, it says "Form of Payment: MISC DOCUMENT", on .bomb when I view receipt for the flight. So I worry that using the Explorer card won't automatically apply the checked bag benefit. Would I be able to email the CC statement to United and have a CSR manually waive the bag fee?
A colleague at our Canadian office did much the same thing. He used a Club Card, but it should work the same with an Explorer Card. He booked a UA flight using AC miles and he was not charged with a checked bag fee. Admittedly, I don't know if he was challenged at check-in in YYZ, or if he had to whip the card out to make his point, but what you want to do should work. Be sure to bring your Explorer Card with you!

By the way, "dot bomb" has not existed for four years and your "when it used to be free" assertion is years older still.

RNE, {unneccesary}

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 13, 2014 at 10:39 pm Reason: comments on the poster is not with FT ToS
Old Sep 13, 2014, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RNE
A colleague at our Canadian office did much the same thing. He used a Club Card, but it should work the same with an Explorer Card. He booked a UA flight using AC miles and he was not charged with a checked bag fee. Admittedly, I don't know if he was challenged at check-in in YYZ, or if he had to whip the card out to make his point, but what you want to do should work. Be sure to bring your Explorer Card with you!

By the way, "dot bomb" has not existed for four years and your "when it used to be free" assertion is years older still.

RNE, {unneccesary}
Thanks for the anecdote about the club card. I figured it probably will be free, just might require a bit more work.

And for the record, I haven't crawled out from under any rock. It's just that I haven't flown to MX/Canada without having any status since 2011 (UA Gold in 2012 and 2013), and I remember it being free back then. Maybe my memory is fuzzy. {response to comments removed by mod}

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 13, 2014 at 10:42 pm Reason: removed response to comments removed by mod
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by darrvao777
Do you know how quickly it takes for the bonus points to post? Just applied and got accepted today, hoping to have the card in hand by the 4th and post a $2000 charge

Trying to get the points ASAP for award travel in November 2014, thanks!
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Based on my experience with the Chase Southwest visa, it was a couple of business days after the statement closed in which you met the spend threshold. I'd expect the Chase United card to be the same, though somebody else might have a real life data point here.
Wondering the same thing too. 2K spent in the first statement cycle which was the 13th of this month. Got the $50 statement credit and 5K additional card holder bonus..... anxiously waiting for the 50K to post, was hoping to use it for an Oct flight.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by dascc
Wondering the same thing too. 2K spent in the first statement cycle which was the 13th of this month. Got the $50 statement credit and 5K additional card holder bonus..... anxiously waiting for the 50K to post, was hoping to use it for an Oct flight.
Met the 2k spend on 9/4, still no activity as of 9/22

My account is not actually set to generate a statement until the end of October (newly opened card) so I'm really hoping I won't have to wait until then
Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:51 pm

Met the 2k spend on 9/4, still no activity as of 9/22

My account is not actually set to generate a statement until the end of October (newly opened card) so I'm really hoping I won't have to wait until then
Just as a followup, opened my card 9/1, met the spend on 9/4, got the 50k points today 9/25

Doesnt look like the account generates a statement until 10/20

Sorry, one additional question

So I understand you get double the miles if you use the MileagePlus Explorer card to purchase tickets.

I understand this bonus does not apply to in-flight purchases.

What about items such as paying for an upgrade for an existing reservation?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 25, 2014 at 11:18 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 25, 2014, 11:43 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Just as a followup, opened my card 9/1, met the spend on 9/4, got the 50k points today 9/25

Doesnt look like the account generates a statement until 10/20
I opened my card in the middle of August, met the spend about the same time you did, and then also got the 50k points at the same time you did. I think they must batch everything together monthly on the same day.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I phoned last week to request a replacement Explorer card since the mag stripe on my "old" card seemed to be having some issues. The "new" card arrived in yesterday's mail. I've never seen a card quite like this one before. There's no "embossed" account number on the front of the card. The account number and expiration date (raised numbers) is only on the back. Also, the MasterCard (this is an older, pre-Visa Explorer card account) logo appears nowhere on the front, only on the back. My name is both front and back.

None of the above really matters, it's just different.

What I'm truly concerned with and that might matter is that my complete MP number is also "printed" on the back of the card. It wasn't on the "old" card and I'm not sure I like it there.

Any thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.