Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
8/8/14 Here's the "fine print" regarding those who have received a bonus from this product in the past:

I understand that any new cardmember bonus offers for this product are not available to either current or previous cardmembers of this product who received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the last 24 months.
I understand that the terms of my account, including the APRs, are subject to change. Any such changes will be made in accordance with the Cardmember Agreement.

If you received the bonus >24 months ago you are eligible to apply. Doesn't matter when you closed the card.

Major Benefits (post-June 2018)
  • Free first checked a bag - The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free on United-operated flights when the primary Cardmember includes their MileagePlus number in their reservation and purchases their tickets from United with their United MileagePlus Explorer Card. For complete details, please visit united.com/chasebag .
  • Priority boarding - Primary Cardmembers and their companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding. (BG2)
  • No fees on foreign transactions
  • 2 United ClubSM passes each year for your travel
  • Access to XN expanded Economy Saver award inventory (not a published benefit)
  • Chip-enabled Card provides added security
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United.
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels (NEW)
  • Earn 1 mile per $1 spent - You'll earn 1 mile for each $1 spent on all other purchases.
  • Miles don't expire as long as your credit card account remains open - Your miles don't expire as long as you are a Cardmember, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn. UA miles not longer expire
  • Any seat, any time, on United-operated flights - Primary Cardmembers can use their miles to book any available seat, any time, on United-operated flights when they redeem
  • CPU award ticket eligibility for primary cardholder (only) if MP elite
  • Carryon bag allowed with Boarding Group 2 even if Basic Economy ticket
  • 25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights (NEW)
  • Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years. (NEW)

Cuts as of June 2018Purchase Price Protection - removed
Return Protection - removed
Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance - reduced

10,000 bonus miles for $25K spend will no longer be available after May 31, 2018.Those who spend $10,000-$24,999 by May 31 will receive 4,000 bonus miles this year only.

New benefits2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels
25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights
Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years.
Print Wikipost

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2014, 7:04 am
RNE

Originally Posted by philemer
Unfortunately, none of us have a crystal ball.
I beg to differ.

RNE, scryer extraordinaire.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Hello - I just signed up for this with the 50,000 mile offer. I have a question:

I've booked two upcoming award flights, but paid for them with another CC. Now that I have this card, am I eligible for CPU's? Or does that small "airport tax" fee that comes with award redemptions need to be paid for with this card?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by teeceedee
Hello - I just signed up for this with the 50,000 mile offer. I have a question:

I've booked two upcoming award flights, but paid for them with another CC. Now that I have this card, am I eligible for CPU's? Or does that small "airport tax" fee that comes with award redemptions need to be paid for with this card?
Shouldn't be an issue.

Is the CPU icon showing on the reservation?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Shouldn't be an issue.

Is the CPU icon showing on the reservation?
Haven't gotten approved yet, just applied today. Good idea though, I'll keep an eye on it.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Is there ANY chance of messing up my MileagePlus Signature Visa by signing up for the Explorer card? I don't want to accidentally loose the ability to get 10,000 PQM with the old card.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 3:04 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Anyone out there that's applied for this card with a foreign (non-USA) address?

I've been thinking of this card for awhile. I suppose I could always use my parents' address for it, as I do my other US card. I also have US citizenship.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 10:46 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by greg5
Anyone out there that's applied for this card with a foreign (non-USA) address?

I've been thinking of this card for awhile. I suppose I could always use my parents' address for it, as I do my other US card. I also have US citizenship.
T&Cs include
Replying to this offer: If you omit any information on the form, we may deny your request for an account. Chase cardmembers who currently have or have had a Chase credit card in any Rewards Program associated with this offer or have received a similar bonus offer, may not be eligible for a second Chase credit card in the same Rewards Program, or for any bonus offer. Chase cardmembers currently receiving promotional pricing, or Chase cardmembers with a history of only using their current or prior Chase card for promotional pricing offers, are not eligible for a second Chase credit card with promotional pricing. You must have a valid permanent home address within the 50 United States or the District of Columbia. The information about the costs of the card described in this form is accurate as of 2/22/2010. This information may have changed after that date. To find out what may have changed, write to us at Cardmember Service, P.O. Box 15043, Wilmington, DE 19850-5043.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
T&Cs include

Well, I guess that gives me the answer I was looking for. I had been looking to see if there was anything about US residency.

Thanks! ^
Old Aug 6, 2014, 2:34 pm

Hello,

I'm a newbie to all of this. I've been reading the site for several weeks now. Love all the wonderful information here! I have a question that I couldn't find the answer to. I also sent a secure message to Chase, but their response did not fully answer things. Here it goes:

I've had the United MileagePlus Select card for a long time. My question is: can I apply for the MileagePlus Explorer Card, and get the 50K miles benefit? Can people have both the Select and the Explorer cards from Chase?

The representative from Chase wrote that the 50K miles was a "targeted offer," and that I might only get the 30K if I wasn't targeted. This confuses me, because the 50K bonus is a public offer. Also, he never fully answered whether I was allowed to have both cards. The only clear statement was that they would not shut down the Select card unless I requested it.

Sorry if this was posted in the wrong forum, or if this has been answered elsewhere.

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 6, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by RHGA
Hello,

I'm a newbie to all of this. I've been reading the site for several weeks now. Love all the wonderful information here! I have a question that I couldn't find the answer to. I also sent a secure message to Chase, but their response did not fully answer things. Here it goes:

I've had the United MileagePlus Select card for a long time. My question is: can I apply for the MileagePlus Explorer Card, and get the 50K miles benefit? Can people have both the Select and the Explorer cards from Chase?

The representative from Chase wrote that the 50K miles was a "targeted offer," and that I might only get the 30K if I wasn't targeted. This confuses me, because the 50K bonus is a public offer. Also, he never fully answered whether I was allowed to have both cards. The only clear statement was that they would not shut down the Select card unless I requested it.

Sorry if this was posted in the wrong forum, or if this has been answered elsewhere.

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to FT!

Not sure of the fine print, but many folks have noted having more than one card and getting bonuses (including me!)
Old Aug 6, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by gayste
Is there ANY chance of messing up my MileagePlus Signature Visa by signing up for the Explorer card? I don't want to accidentally loose the ability to get 10,000 PQM with the old card.
Your new application and approval won't affect earnings on the legacy card...I have three UA cards (two legacy) and applied last week (app still pending).
Old Aug 6, 2014, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Welcome to FT!

Not sure of the fine print, but many folks have noted having more than one card and getting bonuses (including me!)
Thanks, kirkwoodj! That's good to know.

Now I just have to weigh whether I should go for this deal or the Marriott 70K offer (which for me would be 25K AA miles that might be useful for a big international trip I want to book next year). It's too bad you can't get two Chase cards in short order.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 5:20 am

Mileage Plus Chase card churn

Hi, I've had my current Mileage Plus Chase card for around 3 years. Can I cancel it and apply for a new card and receive 50000 miles? The terms say you are eligible for bonus every 2 years but I am not sure if it's 2 years from receiving bonus or closing card. Anyone had success doing this?
Old Aug 7, 2014, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by RHGA
Hello,

Thanks in advance!
Just to follow up on others, you can definitely get the bonus even though you have the Select card.
And while the 50K offer may indeed be targeted, you've been targeted if you just head to UA.com! Just click on any banner offering 50K and you should be fine.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:17 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Note that the current best "public" offer, until Sept 2, is 55k+$50 credit

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...nt-credit.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.