Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
8/8/14 Here's the "fine print" regarding those who have received a bonus from this product in the past:

I understand that any new cardmember bonus offers for this product are not available to either current or previous cardmembers of this product who received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the last 24 months.
I understand that the terms of my account, including the APRs, are subject to change. Any such changes will be made in accordance with the Cardmember Agreement.

If you received the bonus >24 months ago you are eligible to apply. Doesn't matter when you closed the card.

Major Benefits (post-June 2018)
  • Free first checked a bag - The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free on United-operated flights when the primary Cardmember includes their MileagePlus number in their reservation and purchases their tickets from United with their United MileagePlus Explorer Card. For complete details, please visit united.com/chasebag .
  • Priority boarding - Primary Cardmembers and their companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding. (BG2)
  • No fees on foreign transactions
  • 2 United ClubSM passes each year for your travel
  • Access to XN expanded Economy Saver award inventory (not a published benefit)
  • Chip-enabled Card provides added security
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United.
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels (NEW)
  • Earn 1 mile per $1 spent - You'll earn 1 mile for each $1 spent on all other purchases.
  • Miles don't expire as long as your credit card account remains open - Your miles don't expire as long as you are a Cardmember, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn. UA miles not longer expire
  • Any seat, any time, on United-operated flights - Primary Cardmembers can use their miles to book any available seat, any time, on United-operated flights when they redeem
  • CPU award ticket eligibility for primary cardholder (only) if MP elite
  • Carryon bag allowed with Boarding Group 2 even if Basic Economy ticket
  • 25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights (NEW)
  • Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years. (NEW)

Cuts as of June 2018Purchase Price Protection - removed
Return Protection - removed
Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance - reduced

10,000 bonus miles for $25K spend will no longer be available after May 31, 2018.Those who spend $10,000-$24,999 by May 31 will receive 4,000 bonus miles this year only.

New benefits2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels
25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights
Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years.
Print Wikipost

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
My benefits guide also lists the auto insurance as primary as opposed to secondary, so I guess the agent was simply wrong.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 3:38 pm
EEE

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by drewguy
Same here - I signed up in November, so maybe a bit more than 8 weeks. But a lot less than 1 year!

Good thing I didn't discard the envelope--looked like yet another advertisement to sign up for the card.
Same for me, on all counts. I signed up sometime around Nov 1, passes arrived on Feb ~20. Almost 4 months! Luckily they sent these to my home address, whereas I'm still getting the signup offers at work, so that made me take a second look at the envelope.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 1:53 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Has Anyone Received an Explorer Card Upgrade on an Award Ticket?

The UA/Chase Explorer Card reportedly offers a free space-available upgrade benefit to 1Ks (and other elites?) traveling on award tickets. GS members receive award ticket upgrades without needing an Explorer Card.

So, has anyone received a free upgrade on an award ticket using an Explorer Card? Is there a web page that provides details?

Here are some questions:

- Do you need to charge taxes to the Explorer Card to qualify? Or register interest some other way on a flight-by-flight basis? Otherwise, how does UA know you have the Explorer Card?
- Can you get upgraded before the flight goes to airport control, or is it only at the airport?
- What are the geographic limitations? If you redeem for a business class award, can you get upgraded to first on p.s. or other 3-class North American flights?
- How are you ranked in the queue - it is status first, then fare paid, and how does a saver award fare rank with other fares?
- Has anyone gotten upgraded with the Explorer Card privilege? Details please.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Explore
The UA/Chase Explorer Card reportedly offers a free space-available upgrade benefit to 1Ks (and other elites?) traveling on award tickets. GS members receive award ticket upgrades without needing an Explorer Card.

So, has anyone received a free upgrade on an award ticket using an Explorer Card? Is there a web page that provides details?

Here are some questions:

- Do you need to charge taxes to the Explorer Card to qualify? Or register interest some other way on a flight-by-flight basis? Otherwise, how does UA know you have the Explorer Card?
- Can you get upgraded before the flight goes to airport control, or is it only at the airport?
- What are the geographic limitations? If you redeem for a business class award, can you get upgraded to first on p.s. or other 3-class North American flights?
- How are you ranked in the queue - it is status first, then fare paid, and how does a saver award fare rank with other fares?
- Has anyone gotten upgraded with the Explorer Card privilege? Details please.
I booked an award ticket and paid the taxes with my UA Explorer card. I'm trying to find out details on how to get upgraded, but I have been on hold with UA for over 25 minutes now.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 8:20 am

Programs: UA Plat (former 1K)
I was just wondering this too.
according to https://pss.united.com/web/en-US/con.../upgrades.aspx (my bold below answers one of your questions on priority of the upgrade)

Upgrading award tickets

Premier members who are primary cardholders for certain Chase-issued credit cards are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades when traveling on award tickets on United-operated flights. The following credit cards qualify for this benefit:

MileagePlus Explorer
MileagePlus Explorer for Business
OnePass Plus
World MasterCard for Business
Presidential Plus
Presidential Plus for Business

Award travel will be prioritized after the lowest paid fare class in the upgrade confirmation priority order. This benefit does not apply to companions traveling on award tickets.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA/CO 1K, AA Gold, SPG PP, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by poverty.jet.set
Premier members who are primary cardholders for certain Chase-issued credit cards are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades when traveling on award tickets on United-operated flights. The following credit cards qualify for this benefit:

MileagePlus Explorer
MileagePlus Explorer for Business
OnePass Plus
World MasterCard for Business
Presidential Plus
Presidential Plus for Business
Soooo frustrating that United Club Visa isn't on this list, given the $375 annual fee. Yes, crazy for me to have ever signed up for it, but why must they now keep rubbing it in my face?
Old Mar 4, 2012, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat (former 1K)
Originally Posted by whackyjacky
I jumped on the Explorer 50-60K offer the 1st day. Have gotten the statement and paid it. Miles haven't dropped yet. How long does it take ? I need some more miles to book my return flight in F. wj
I received my 50K bonus miles about 3 weeks after my first purchase.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I received the 50K bonus after the first billing cycle.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 3:48 pm

Programs: WN A-list & CP, Delta GM
Originally Posted by Strom
Soooo frustrating that United Club Visa isn't on this list, given the $375 annual fee. Yes, crazy for me to have ever signed up for it, but why must they now keep rubbing it in my face?
It is very likely this benefit will be on the new United Club Visa which is under development. Once it comes out, you should be able to switch your old Club Visa to it if needed.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 11:32 am

Mileage Plus Explorer Benefits Not Transferred

I just checked in for my first flight after they transitioned me from my old United FF# to my Continental one. Unfortunately now I've lost my free checked luggage and priority boarding. Who knows what others problems (bonus mile credit, etc.) it is causing. Anyone else having similar problems?
Old Mar 6, 2012, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
Originally Posted by SethC
I just checked in for my first flight after they transitioned me from my old United FF# to my Continental one. Unfortunately now I've lost my free checked luggage and priority boarding. Who knows what others problems (bonus mile credit, etc.) it is causing. Anyone else having similar problems?
Have you gone to the your CC company website (or called) and given the new FF#. Though it should've transferred automatically, you might be able to save yourself a pound of cure after the fact.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You sure you don't have a free checked bag? You could always present your credit card at the airport to avoid the fee.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90
You sure you don't have a free checked bag? You could always present your credit card at the airport to avoid the fee.
Quite sure. I tried checking in at the kiosk and it wanted to bill me $25 for one bag. I just flew in February before my FF number changed and didn't have that problem. Also, I got stuck in boarding group 6 and 7 rather than 1.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 4:49 pm

Quite sure. I tried checking in at the kiosk and it wanted to bill me $25 for one bag. I just flew in February before my FF number changed and didn't have that problem. Also, I got stuck in boarding group 6 and 7 rather than 1.
Well, they did change the boarding order, so 1 is no longer credit cards - it's 1K and first class (I believe). But I don't think 6/7 is right, either.

I'd call Chase and be certain they have your new FF number (ie, the old CO number or the one assigned to you if you didn't already have one).
Old Mar 6, 2012, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you try going to an agent? Showing the card should've prompted them to waive the fee, and worst case scenario, file a refund request online.
Agree with the previous posted about calling Chase to ensure they have the right number on file.
Finally, regarding boarding: this may not even be related to your FF#. With the merger, they have had issues with the group number not being correct. They are working out the kinks. You are supposed to have Group 5 which is Priority Boarding - after F/C/*G/*S/Presidential Plus card-holders, but before general boarding, which is 6-8. The kinks should (hopefully) be worked out soon enough, but in the meantime, you could go to the desk to notify them you should be in 5.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.