Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
8/8/14 Here's the "fine print" regarding those who have received a bonus from this product in the past:

I understand that any new cardmember bonus offers for this product are not available to either current or previous cardmembers of this product who received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the last 24 months.
I understand that the terms of my account, including the APRs, are subject to change. Any such changes will be made in accordance with the Cardmember Agreement.

If you received the bonus >24 months ago you are eligible to apply. Doesn't matter when you closed the card.

Major Benefits (post-June 2018)
  • Free first checked a bag - The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free on United-operated flights when the primary Cardmember includes their MileagePlus number in their reservation and purchases their tickets from United with their United MileagePlus Explorer Card. For complete details, please visit united.com/chasebag .
  • Priority boarding - Primary Cardmembers and their companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding. (BG2)
  • No fees on foreign transactions
  • 2 United ClubSM passes each year for your travel
  • Access to XN expanded Economy Saver award inventory (not a published benefit)
  • Chip-enabled Card provides added security
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United.
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels (NEW)
  • Earn 1 mile per $1 spent - You'll earn 1 mile for each $1 spent on all other purchases.
  • Miles don't expire as long as your credit card account remains open - Your miles don't expire as long as you are a Cardmember, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn. UA miles not longer expire
  • Any seat, any time, on United-operated flights - Primary Cardmembers can use their miles to book any available seat, any time, on United-operated flights when they redeem
  • CPU award ticket eligibility for primary cardholder (only) if MP elite
  • Carryon bag allowed with Boarding Group 2 even if Basic Economy ticket
  • 25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights (NEW)
  • Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years. (NEW)

Cuts as of June 2018Purchase Price Protection - removed
Return Protection - removed
Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance - reduced

10,000 bonus miles for $25K spend will no longer be available after May 31, 2018.Those who spend $10,000-$24,999 by May 31 will receive 4,000 bonus miles this year only.

New benefits2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels
25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights
Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years.
Print Wikipost

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2011, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
I too got the 5,000 upgrade letter in the mail. I have two United branded cards, and this one was offering to upgrade my gray signature card. It had a nice diagram on the back of the pamphlet describing the benefits of each card. The only thing that the MP Explorer card would get me that I don't already get would be upgrades on reward tickets. Then again, I rarely use my miles for UA award redemptions. Not sure if it's a good deal for me or not.
If you have any level of UA status, and one of the better PMUA credit cards, then this Explorer card is basically worthless to you. Maybe they'll have better ones next year
Old Nov 12, 2011, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
If you have any level of UA status, and one of the better PMUA credit cards, then this Explorer card is basically worthless to you. Maybe they'll have better ones next year
The only real benefit of the Explorer cards for elites (not that I have one) is the 60K signing bonus
Old Nov 12, 2011, 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UA-NYC

Not if COdbaUA has a say, in my opinion. The SElect and Platinum were high water marks, much like PMUA prior to the merger.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
I too got the 5,000 upgrade letter in the mail. I have two United branded cards, and this one was offering to upgrade my gray signature card. It had a nice diagram on the back of the pamphlet describing the benefits of each card. The only thing that the MP Explorer card would get me that I don't already get would be upgrades on reward tickets. Then again, I rarely use my miles for UA award redemptions. Not sure if it's a good deal for me or not.
I got the upgrade letter too. I don't think the marketing departments from both sides talk to each other. I have the PPMC as well as the UA Signature Visa. All of the benefits that are on the Explorer card are offered on the PPMC. Not sure which card is devalued more.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 12:09 am

Programs: United Gold; HHonors Diamond
Is it too late for me to sign up for the old Signature card? This new one sucks compared to the old one. I guess I dragged my feet for too long.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hellmutt
Is it too late for me to sign up for the old Signature card? This new one sucks compared to the old one. I guess I dragged my feet for too long.
Yes, it's too late. Sorry
Old Nov 15, 2011, 5:34 am

Programs: Marriott PLT, SPG GLD, DL PM, National EE
Originally Posted by joshwex90
The only real benefit of the Explorer cards for elites (not that I have one) is the 60K signing bonus
How do you get 60K bonus miles? I was offered 25K.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 5:35 am

Do the club passes arrive later on? I did not get any with my card.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AFONTANEZ
The club passes are sent to you upon your first anniversary of being a cardholder.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
The club passes are sent to you upon your first anniversary of being a cardholder.
Wow... that is CRAP!!! In other words I have to pay the yearly fee next year to get the passes. So I agree... this card is the crappiest card ever!

How do I get 60K bonus miles?
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How do you get 60K bonus miles? I was offered 25K.
Every time I'm on the UA site, logged into my MP account, the offer is 60K. Otherwise, it's 40K. (You need to be 2P/1P/1K for the 60 K)

Every year on the anniversary

Wow... that is CRAP!!! In other words I have to pay the yearly fee next year to get the passes. So I agree... this card is the crappiest card ever!

see above
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This was communicated when you signed up for the card, especially since you haven't paid any annual fee yet (first year is waived).
Old Nov 15, 2011, 4:43 pm

Im premier exec... thats 1P correct? Should I call the card customer service and state that so that they give me the extra miles? Or is that a United thing?
Old Nov 15, 2011, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
This is a really hard decsion for me now. I have the old Signature card that costs $140. When I was a 1K, I had no fee. I got 5000 eqm's just for showing up and 5000 more if I spent $35K. No spendables. BUT, I get a lot of bonus miles with each monthly bill, not usually double but more than 25% not counting for when I buy UA tix. So, this year, I finally paid the $140 to save myself a UA trip toward status.

HOWEVER, it is doubtful we will go for 1K anymore as we were always 1K lites. My husband is a Million Miler so in 2012, I get to be one too as a designated spouse. Hence, neither of us needs mileage runs anymore. Plus UA is requiring a minimum number of flights for status so my 10K in eqm's is not so enticing. I don't need most of the perks of the new card as I get them with Premier Gold. Two passes into RC Lounge does nothing for me. Esp after paying the fee. Besides accumulating miles, I am not sure what $95does for me.

Does this new card allow you to pay for your paid travel with miles from the card as the old one does? Ticket at $125, take 12,500 miles from just credit card miles. Does the old one still do that? I can't find it. Everyday something new from UA/Cont. Driving me crazy.

I am wondering if a card with another airline would be better. Anyone know of good ones elsewhere?
Old Nov 16, 2011, 2:10 am

Programs: UA-1P
Needs to be a range of Explorer cards

I'm expecting more of a range of Explorer cards to appear eventually.

The current sole Explorer offering is too low-end to compete with the United Mileage Plus Visa Select, which pays out double miles on most of my purchases (groceries, gas, dining) and gives an EQM for every dollar spent on United.com (up to 5,000) as well as triple miles there.
The new card only pays out double miles and no EQMs for United.com.

Overall I'd see a big drop in CC miles if I switched, and only acquire benefits like early boarding that I already have as a 1P.

Therefore I assume they're working on adding some higher specced cards to the range with more appeal to 1P and 1K folks. Top of my wish list would be no foreign transaction fees (I think the Club card is the only MP card with that feature currently).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.