Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
8/8/14 Here's the "fine print" regarding those who have received a bonus from this product in the past:

I understand that any new cardmember bonus offers for this product are not available to either current or previous cardmembers of this product who received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the last 24 months.
I understand that the terms of my account, including the APRs, are subject to change. Any such changes will be made in accordance with the Cardmember Agreement.

If you received the bonus >24 months ago you are eligible to apply. Doesn't matter when you closed the card.

Major Benefits (post-June 2018)
  • Free first checked a bag - The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free on United-operated flights when the primary Cardmember includes their MileagePlus number in their reservation and purchases their tickets from United with their United MileagePlus Explorer Card. For complete details, please visit united.com/chasebag .
  • Priority boarding - Primary Cardmembers and their companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding. (BG2)
  • No fees on foreign transactions
  • 2 United ClubSM passes each year for your travel
  • Access to XN expanded Economy Saver award inventory (not a published benefit)
  • Chip-enabled Card provides added security
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United.
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels (NEW)
  • Earn 1 mile per $1 spent - You'll earn 1 mile for each $1 spent on all other purchases.
  • Miles don't expire as long as your credit card account remains open - Your miles don't expire as long as you are a Cardmember, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn. UA miles not longer expire
  • Any seat, any time, on United-operated flights - Primary Cardmembers can use their miles to book any available seat, any time, on United-operated flights when they redeem
  • CPU award ticket eligibility for primary cardholder (only) if MP elite
  • Carryon bag allowed with Boarding Group 2 even if Basic Economy ticket
  • 25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights (NEW)
  • Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years. (NEW)

Cuts as of June 2018Purchase Price Protection - removed
Return Protection - removed
Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance - reduced

10,000 bonus miles for $25K spend will no longer be available after May 31, 2018.Those who spend $10,000-$24,999 by May 31 will receive 4,000 bonus miles this year only.

New benefits2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels
25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights
Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years.
Print Wikipost

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:40 am

Programs: WN A-list & CP, Delta GM
This guy was honest and certainly is not like other solicitors at all!
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
On of the Chase solicitors waved me down at ORD the other day, asking if I had the card. I told him I have the Select Visa and that I love the benefits (especially compared to the Explorer card) and have no intention of abandoning it. He told me the Select card is one of the best they ever offered and that "I would do exactly that if I were you. Don't give it up! Keep it as long as you can."
Look at it this way: the merger is happening but as of now CO is still an independent company. They need a product for their members - they cannot just offer MP Explorer. After the merger, OP Plus will surely be renamed as MP Explorer anyway since they are almost the same.
Originally Posted by joshwex90
I don't understand why CO is still advertising the OP Plus card

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 17, 2011 at 12:06 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by leonard016
This guy was honest and certainly is not like other solicitors at all!
IME, he's like most actually. When I've been asked to switch to something and I say I like what I have better, if it really is better, more often than not, I'm told "stick with that," and not "you don't understand; this really is better."
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by joshwex90
IME, he's like most actually. When I've been asked to switch to something and I say I like what I have better, if it really is better, more often than not, I'm told "stick with that," and not "you don't understand; this really is better."
True, but I think the real issue was new acquisitions. The Chase dude told me that he actually couldn't take an application from me even if I wanted to apply; his sole charge was to find new clients for Chase, not sign up existing ones.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
True, but I think the real issue was new acquisitions. The Chase dude told me that he actually couldn't take an application from me even if I wanted to apply; his sole charge was to find new clients for Chase, not sign up existing ones.
Ah, that's interesting. I didn't get that from your OP. But that doesn't make the guy any more or less honest; just that that wasn't a part of his job.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Update: Made my first and only charge about 14 days ago. My 50k miles were deposited into my mileage plus acct yesterday. Thanks Chase!^

edit-forgot to mention, I also have/had the United Visa Chase credit card for the last 3 years, but it is no longer active as of 6 months ago due to inactivity I suppose.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 9:13 am

Programs: Cathay Pacific Marco Polo, Mileage Plus, WorldPerks
My 6-year-old son, who is a 2P, receives a pre-approved package in the mail for this card, which offers 50,000 bonus miles. I am pretty sure he can't apply for a credit card yet (thank goodness).

I believe I have a no-annual-fee United-branded Chase card that I haven't used in years. My question: May I take my son's pre-approved form, apply for the card with my name, and then still get the 50,000 miles? Thanks.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 9:55 am

Programs: AA-EXP, National Exec. Elite, Hilton Gold, GE
Originally Posted by datoda
My 6-year-old son, who is a 2P, receives a pre-approved package in the mail for this card, which offers 50,000 bonus miles. I am pretty sure he can't apply for a credit card yet (thank goodness).

I believe I have a no-annual-fee United-branded Chase card that I haven't used in years. My question: May I take my son's pre-approved form, apply for the card with my name, and then still get the 50,000 miles? Thanks.
Wow. I joined MP when I was 11 and I'm not even a 2P yet. Very jealous, but good to hear he's starting early.

There's no harm in trying. I believe the pre-approval mailer you got has a invite code that lets you apply online. Try the online application with your sons code and see if that works.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 3:01 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by datoda
Goodness? Pshaw! Credit cards should be issued to newborns! When I was 12 years old, I had a BankAmericard. It had my photo on the back of it. It was "boss!" in contemporary slang.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 9:56 am

New CO credit card?

I'm trying to decide whether I should apply for the Continental Onepass Plus card before the merger w/ United is complete.

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...pass-plus.aspx

The question is, do FTers think there's much chance there'll be a new CO credit card before the merger, or is this the last chance for a bite at the apple? Baseline 25k miles is nothing good, but still probably better than nothing.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by smkeyes
I'm trying to decide whether I should apply for the Continental Onepass Plus card before the merger w/ United is complete.

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...pass-plus.aspx

The question is, do FTers think there's much chance there'll be a new CO credit card before the merger, or is this the last chance for a bite at the apple? Baseline 25k miles is nothing good, but still probably better than nothing.
As mentioned before, the OnePass Plus credit card will turn into Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Card.

http://www4.chasecreditcards.com/MPC...MSC=IQ33872601

The replacement for the Chase Presidential Plus card will be announced later this year. That being said, I find it highly unlikely that there will be a different CO card as they are starting to churn out their merged credit cards.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 10:08 am

So seems like I ought to grab the CO card now cuz it's the last CO train leaving the station right? 25k soon-to-be MP miles...
Old Aug 29, 2011, 10:21 am

So seems like I ought to grab the CO card now cuz it's the last CO train leaving the station right? 25k soon-to-be MP miles...
To me, it seems like they pretty much are the same card.

More info is here...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...orer-card.html
Old Aug 29, 2011, 10:34 am

I guess my only hesitation is that if I get the CO card now, maybe that could harm my future chances of getting a great future United offer? (I don't currently have any CO or United cards)
Old Aug 29, 2011, 4:14 pm
RNE

Just got a call from Chase asking me if I am pleased with the benefits I am getting from my (many) Chase cards. The caller didn't know any answers to my questions about the PP card and—get this—hadn't heard of the Explorer card!

RNE, with a consoling rejoinder, "At least we know Chase is keeping us as well informed as it is its own employees."
Old Aug 30, 2011, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Well you could get a MP account and go out for the United Card, and go out for the One Pass card and get 80K of miles total, and have United merge both accounts together...

I guess my only hesitation is that if I get the CO card now, maybe that could harm my future chances of getting a great future United offer? (I don't currently have any CO or United cards)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.