Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
8/8/14 Here's the "fine print" regarding those who have received a bonus from this product in the past:

I understand that any new cardmember bonus offers for this product are not available to either current or previous cardmembers of this product who received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the last 24 months.
I understand that the terms of my account, including the APRs, are subject to change. Any such changes will be made in accordance with the Cardmember Agreement.

If you received the bonus >24 months ago you are eligible to apply. Doesn't matter when you closed the card.

Major Benefits (post-June 2018)
  • Free first checked a bag - The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free on United-operated flights when the primary Cardmember includes their MileagePlus number in their reservation and purchases their tickets from United with their United MileagePlus Explorer Card. For complete details, please visit united.com/chasebag .
  • Priority boarding - Primary Cardmembers and their companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding. (BG2)
  • No fees on foreign transactions
  • 2 United ClubSM passes each year for your travel
  • Access to XN expanded Economy Saver award inventory (not a published benefit)
  • Chip-enabled Card provides added security
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United.
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels (NEW)
  • Earn 1 mile per $1 spent - You'll earn 1 mile for each $1 spent on all other purchases.
  • Miles don't expire as long as your credit card account remains open - Your miles don't expire as long as you are a Cardmember, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn. UA miles not longer expire
  • Any seat, any time, on United-operated flights - Primary Cardmembers can use their miles to book any available seat, any time, on United-operated flights when they redeem
  • CPU award ticket eligibility for primary cardholder (only) if MP elite
  • Carryon bag allowed with Boarding Group 2 even if Basic Economy ticket
  • 25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights (NEW)
  • Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years. (NEW)

Cuts as of June 2018Purchase Price Protection - removed
Return Protection - removed
Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance - reduced

10,000 bonus miles for $25K spend will no longer be available after May 31, 2018.Those who spend $10,000-$24,999 by May 31 will receive 4,000 bonus miles this year only.

New benefits2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels
25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights
Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years.
Print Wikipost

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2016, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Kensterfly
I've got almost $50k in spend through August and will probably top $70k by year end. That ought to warrant some more bonus miles rather than one 10k shot.
Yeah, should be like GPUs - every $25k spend gets another 10k miles.

Anyway, this is one of the reasons I'm thinking of cancelling. Anyone see a reason not to in my case?

- Generally make Plat or at least Gold from flying with adequate PQD each year (and have qualified for 2017).
- Most travel international, so have lounge access
- Have CapOne card for foreign transactions
- Oodles of United miles, which are only getting less valuable

I'm having a hard time justifying $95/year to myself . . . might ask for a fee waiver given relatively high spend, but not optimistic (as I'm sure others spend more).
Old Jan 20, 2017, 4:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
Do the 2 United club passes come in your first statement of the year??
Old Jan 20, 2017, 5:25 am

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jimdarcy
Do the 2 United club passes come in your first statement of the year??
They come shortly after the anniversary date for your card.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Portolan
Shortly before, in my case. They are probably batched a few times a year. You can also cancel the card up to 60 days past your renewal and the passes stay valid.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 4:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
where can i find my anniversary date?
thanks
Old Jan 21, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Huh, so if I've newly signed up I have to wait 12 months? (That seems a bit naff, the advertising doesn't tell you about any kind of wait.)
Old Jan 21, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by televisor
Huh, so if I've newly signed up I have to wait 12 months? (That seems a bit naff, the advertising doesn't tell you about any kind of wait.)
The first two passes should come with a "welcome package"/thick envelope 4-6 weeks after you open the account.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 8:48 am

thanks
It used to be listed on the Chase website but I don't see it anymore. You can call Chase and ask.

If nowhere else, your credit report will have it listed as "Account Open Date"
Old Jan 21, 2017, 11:24 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
thanks
It will be close to when your annual fee is due -- check past statements to find that.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It will be close to when your annual fee is due -- check past statements to find that.
Thanks, i sent them a message
Old Feb 1, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
New Chase Explorer card promotion. $95 annual fee is not waived for the first year. Log into your MP account and you will see this bonus offer banner.

• Free first checked bag
  • Priority boarding
  • No foreign transaction fees†
  • 2 United ClubSM one-time passes each year for your Cardmember anniversary

Make the Most of Your Miles*Full Details

• 70,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open
  • 5,000 bonus miles after you add the first authorized user and make your first purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
  • 10,000 bonus miles after you spend $25,000 on purchases on your Card each calendar year
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United
  • Earn 1 mile per $1 spent on all other purchases
  • Miles don't expire as long as your credit card account remains open
Old Feb 15, 2017, 5:58 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
I have a flight DEN-DSM this morning booked with miles for my wife and I. Booking with miles and being a silver, I did not expect an upgrade. However, being a Wednesday morning flight, sure enough the upgrade came through. However, when the reservation was split, the upgrade request didn't happen for my wife. There are still seats available, so I called to see if she could be put on the upgrade list. I was told that for mileage tickets, only the premier member was eligible for upgrades in this case, and not the companion.

This may be true, but I haven't heard of that. Can anyone confirm? Would it be worth it to try calling again? Thanks.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
I have a flight DEN-DSM this morning booked with miles for my wife and I. Booking with miles and being a silver, I did not expect an upgrade. However, being a Wednesday morning flight, sure enough the upgrade came through. However, when the reservation was split, the upgrade request didn't happen for my wife. There are still seats available, so I called to see if she could be put on the upgrade list. I was told that for mileage tickets, only the premier member was eligible for upgrades in this case, and not the companion.

This may be true, but I haven't heard of that. Can anyone confirm? Would it be worth it to try calling again? Thanks.
That is the official policy. Mileage ticket CPUs get no companion.

It's always worth asking the Gate agent- you're a Silver on an Award Ticket... There's likely nobody else behind you on the upgrade list.

If there's still FC seats open at the gate and no other names on the list, talk to the agent:
"I noticed my upgrade cleared, but my wife's didn't. I think our reservation got split at check-in. Can you add her as my companion?"

Worst case scenario you get a "no, I'm sorry"

​​​
Old Feb 15, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: AC, BA, DL, AA, JL
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
New Chase Explorer card promotion. $95 annual fee is not waived for the first year. Log into your MP account and you will see this bonus offer banner.

• Free first checked bag
  • Priority boarding
  • No foreign transaction fees†
  • 2 United ClubSM one-time passes each year for your Cardmember anniversary

Make the Most of Your Miles*Full Details

• 70,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open
  • 5,000 bonus miles after you add the first authorized user and make your first purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
  • 10,000 bonus miles after you spend $25,000 on purchases on your Card each calendar year
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United
  • Earn 1 mile per $1 spent on all other purchases
  • Miles don't expire as long as your credit card account remains open
Are you still seeing this offer, 1KChinito? I have seen only the 50,000 mile bonus offer. If you are, then it must be a targeted offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.