Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
8/8/14 Here's the "fine print" regarding those who have received a bonus from this product in the past:

I understand that any new cardmember bonus offers for this product are not available to either current or previous cardmembers of this product who received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the last 24 months.
I understand that the terms of my account, including the APRs, are subject to change. Any such changes will be made in accordance with the Cardmember Agreement.

If you received the bonus >24 months ago you are eligible to apply. Doesn't matter when you closed the card.

Major Benefits (post-June 2018)
  • Free first checked a bag - The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free on United-operated flights when the primary Cardmember includes their MileagePlus number in their reservation and purchases their tickets from United with their United MileagePlus Explorer Card. For complete details, please visit united.com/chasebag .
  • Priority boarding - Primary Cardmembers and their companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding. (BG2)
  • No fees on foreign transactions
  • 2 United ClubSM passes each year for your travel
  • Access to XN expanded Economy Saver award inventory (not a published benefit)
  • Chip-enabled Card provides added security
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United.
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels (NEW)
  • Earn 1 mile per $1 spent - You'll earn 1 mile for each $1 spent on all other purchases.
  • Miles don't expire as long as your credit card account remains open - Your miles don't expire as long as you are a Cardmember, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn. UA miles not longer expire
  • Any seat, any time, on United-operated flights - Primary Cardmembers can use their miles to book any available seat, any time, on United-operated flights when they redeem
  • CPU award ticket eligibility for primary cardholder (only) if MP elite
  • Carryon bag allowed with Boarding Group 2 even if Basic Economy ticket
  • 25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights (NEW)
  • Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years. (NEW)

Cuts as of June 2018Purchase Price Protection - removed
Return Protection - removed
Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance - reduced

10,000 bonus miles for $25K spend will no longer be available after May 31, 2018.Those who spend $10,000-$24,999 by May 31 will receive 4,000 bonus miles this year only.

New benefits2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels
25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights
Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years.
Print Wikipost

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2016, 12:28 pm

I just got an offer to buy 90000 miles and get 60000 miles bonus for a little over $3100.

Works out to 2 cents per mile. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. That's more than enough for a one way biz class for two people to Europe. I already have about 150k miles in the bank so... Round trip Biz for just over $3100! The first 150k miles were on the boss's dollar.

Anything wrong with this picture?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Originally Posted by Kensterfly
I just got an offer to buy 90000 miles and get 60000 miles bonus for a little over $3100.

Works out to 2 cents per mile. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. That's more than enough for a one way biz class for two people to Europe. I already have about 150k miles in the bank so... Round trip Biz for just over $3100! The first 150k miles were on the boss's dollar.

Anything wrong with this picture?
You can find C-class roundtrip tickets to Europe for a little over $3k, so instead of paying $3k for miles and then spend them (and have to pay the taxes and fees for the ticket), you could pay for the C-class ticket and earn redeemable miles and status miles instead.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:16 pm

But can I get TWO C class for a little over $3000 total?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 3:39 pm

But you can already get one of those tickets, so you would be better off buying one ticket and using your award miles that you already have for the other
Old Aug 30, 2016, 4:08 pm

I want to switch over to the Chase MP Club card from the Mileage Plus Explorer card. Would doing this at the first of the year make the most sense? I don't want to miss out on any bonus miles I have coming up. I have two M.P. Explorer accounts but will go with just one MP Club card. I assume that I can have two card for this account: for wife and for me?
I have a fairly decent annual non-flying spend: around $60k so the extra half a mile per dollar spent will be significant even though there is no difference in the miles earned on airfare ($2 per mile on either card.)

Actually, I'm pretty sure that there is only one mileage bonus (10k miles) earned at $25k spend and no more to be had at $50k or more, so there may not be any reason to wait to switch over.

Is the annual fee on the MP Explorer card affiliated with the expiration date so I'll know how to track it and switch cards before paying the fee again?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CLTRob
Does the MP Explorer Card or MP Club Card have a spending limit that counts towards Elite status - like AA and Delta have?
No purchase activity on MP Explorer or MP Club Card contributes to either elite status or lifetime status.

Some older, not available to new customers, Chase MP credits cards can contribute to status and they have limits.

... Actually, I'm pretty sure that there is only one mileage bonus (10k miles) earned at $25k spend and no more to be had at $50k or more, so there may not be any reason to wait to switch over. ...
correct
... Is the annual fee on the MP Explorer card affiliated with the expiration date so I'll know how to track it and switch cards before paying the fee again?
no, it is related to annual renewal --- my expiration dates are 3 years in the future and not the same month as my renewal date .

There is a FT forum on the Chase cards that might be a useful resources.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 4:40 pm

I'd like know how to ensure that I do not lose any miles I have accumulated on the MP EX cards if I cancel them. (I have two different cards.) We burned through the original 50k and 30k, respectively, bonus on the cards last year on a trip to Europe. I picked up the 10K bonus for $25k spend this year. Will we lose that if we cancel the cards?

And yes, I've read through most of the above suggested thread.

Last edited by Kensterfly; Aug 31, 2016 at 4:54 pm
Old Aug 31, 2016, 5:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I've searched the forum and the internet, trying to find how to determine when the annual fees are due. ....
How new is the card -- have you paid the annual fee before?
It is on the anniversary of the opening of the account.

It posted at the bottom of the statement.

I have all my monthly bills as PDF and a search of that directory for "annual membership fee" pinpointed the month.

However, you have until the billing statement is due to cancel the card and not pay the annual fee. Nearly a month to handle it.

.... I picked up the 10K bonus for $25k spend this year.
.... Will we lose that if we cancel the cards?
Once earned the miles are yours. The only thing that can be crawled-back is the signup bonus if you cancel the card too soon -- typically less than 6 months but that can vary. This is a topic that is covered extensively in the other forum -- important factor for the card churners.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
How new is the card -- have you paid the annual fee before?
It is on the anniversary of the opening of the account.

It posted at the bottom of the statement.

I have all my monthly bills as PDF and a search of that directory for "annual membership fee" pinpointed the month.

However, you have until the billing statement is due to cancel the card and not pay the annual fee. Nearly a month to handle it.

Once earned the miles are yours. The only thing that can be crawled-back is the signup bonus if you cancel the card too soon -- typically less than 6 months but that can vary. This is a topic that is covered extensively in the other forum -- important factor for the card churners.
The cards are at least two years old. One is closer to three, so I guess we're okay. I did pull up statements for both cards and found the Fee statements so I know what month they will be due. Both are due in the Spring. My travel season will be over by the end of October and not begin again until March so it really makes no sense to apply for the Club Card until shortly before then, which coincides with the new cycle of both the MP EX cards.

Thanks.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I just spoke to CS about the $25,000 spend 10,000 mile bonus. It is a calendar year offer rather than a personal year offer. That is, Jan 1 - Dec 31 no matter when one enrolls. Since I enrolled in June, this only gives me 6 months to make the spend. Pretty hard to do - so really can't take advantage of this offer til year 2. Annoying. Why would they not make it each cardholders year? Can't their systems handle it?
Old Sep 1, 2016, 3:28 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by CLTRob
Does the MP Explorer Card or MP Club Card have a spending limit that counts towards Elite status - like AA and Delta have?
Neither card provides miles that count toward Elite status. However, a $25K spend will fulfill the PQD requirement that is needed for elite status (maybe this is what you were asking?).

This is one of the big benefits for me. I just achieved Silver status again for next year, but my PQD isn't even close to what it would need to be without the waiver based on my card spending.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I just spoke to CS about the $25,000 spend 10,000 mile bonus. It is a calendar year offer rather than a personal year offer. That is, Jan 1 - Dec 31 no matter when one enrolls. Since I enrolled in June, this only gives me 6 months to make the spend. Pretty hard to do - so really can't take advantage of this offer til year 2. Annoying. Why would they not make it each cardholders year? Can't their systems handle it?
For regular people, this is unfortunate. For hard core cardaholics, this gives a chance to get two ten thousand bonuses without ever paying an annual fee.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
For regular people, this is unfortunate. For hard core cardaholics, this gives a chance to get two ten thousand bonuses without ever paying an annual fee.
Interesting perspective and I see your point. Heck of a spend required though... you'd have to spend $25k in six months. Not easy to do unless you are putting all your business expenses on your personal card. Not an option for me sadly.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 9:07 pm

I've got almost $50k in spend through August and will probably top $70k by year end. That ought to warrant some more bonus miles rather than one 10k shot.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Interesting perspective and I see your point. Heck of a spend required though... you'd have to spend $25k in six months. Not easy to do unless you are putting all your business expenses on your personal card. Not an option for me sadly.
Also depends how fast you can make your money go in circles. It's an acquired taste.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.