Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
8/8/14 Here's the "fine print" regarding those who have received a bonus from this product in the past:

I understand that any new cardmember bonus offers for this product are not available to either current or previous cardmembers of this product who received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the last 24 months.
I understand that the terms of my account, including the APRs, are subject to change. Any such changes will be made in accordance with the Cardmember Agreement.

If you received the bonus >24 months ago you are eligible to apply. Doesn't matter when you closed the card.

Major Benefits (post-June 2018)
  • Free first checked a bag - The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free on United-operated flights when the primary Cardmember includes their MileagePlus number in their reservation and purchases their tickets from United with their United MileagePlus Explorer Card. For complete details, please visit united.com/chasebag .
  • Priority boarding - Primary Cardmembers and their companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding. (BG2)
  • No fees on foreign transactions
  • 2 United ClubSM passes each year for your travel
  • Access to XN expanded Economy Saver award inventory (not a published benefit)
  • Chip-enabled Card provides added security
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United.
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels (NEW)
  • Earn 1 mile per $1 spent - You'll earn 1 mile for each $1 spent on all other purchases.
  • Miles don't expire as long as your credit card account remains open - Your miles don't expire as long as you are a Cardmember, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn. UA miles not longer expire
  • Any seat, any time, on United-operated flights - Primary Cardmembers can use their miles to book any available seat, any time, on United-operated flights when they redeem
  • CPU award ticket eligibility for primary cardholder (only) if MP elite
  • Carryon bag allowed with Boarding Group 2 even if Basic Economy ticket
  • 25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights (NEW)
  • Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years. (NEW)

Cuts as of June 2018Purchase Price Protection - removed
Return Protection - removed
Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance - reduced

10,000 bonus miles for $25K spend will no longer be available after May 31, 2018.Those who spend $10,000-$24,999 by May 31 will receive 4,000 bonus miles this year only.

New benefits2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels
25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights
Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years.
Print Wikipost

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2012, 7:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
Just got two UC passes in the mail.. surprised! Thought I would only get them on paying yearly fee after one year...
Same here - I signed up in November, so maybe a bit more than 8 weeks. But a lot less than 1 year!

Good thing I didn't discard the envelope--looked like yet another advertisement to sign up for the card.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone, as you are now well aware

[*]Upgrades on Reward tickets for Elites – MileagePlus Elite customers who are also Cardmembers are eligible to receive upgrades on domestic reward tickets in the same way as with purchased tickets beginning in early 2012.
The ability to upgrade on award tickets was a major inducement to obtain the Explorer card. It said "early 2012". Has anyone heard any updates on this? I have award travel booked in mid April and I was hoping this would be in effect by then.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:38 am

If i apply for a card today, how long will it take to receive the card? I have trip coming up next friday.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:41 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by priceline
If i apply for a card today, how long will it take to receive the card? I have trip coming up next friday.
doubtful you will have it by Friday.

2-3 weeks to recieve the card would be unusally quick, 3-4-5 weeks seems typical.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:50 am

I got mine in 10 days (approved Feb. 15th, got it yesterday).
Old Feb 26, 2012, 12:23 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
I got the card in about 10 days from application, and I was not instantly approved, so that too could have delayed things a day or two.

Are you concerned about the baggage waiver? -- It should be applied automatically so long as the mileage account number linked to the card is the one in the reservation. Of course this would be contingent on Chase's system talking to Continental/United's system as well, which I do not know how often they "talk."
Old Feb 26, 2012, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Is the free bag you get with the card separate from the free bag you get as an elite...so if I'm a Silver, do I get two bags (one with the card and one with my status)?
Old Feb 26, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: Shamelessly Gold at Flying Burrito and AirTrain A+ Elite. Turkish Star Gold, 100k at Flying Eskimo
Originally Posted by joshwex90
No problem. My answers added in RED
Was flying on UA/CO from ANC to ATL last week.
I was trying to board after Elites but before General Boarding with my Explorer Card. My boarding pass was showing Zone 8.

Gate agent started lecturing me in public about my right and duties and that I shall not board until Zone 8 is called. Had to wait at the gate despite the fact that I should get some form of Priority Boarding with this gate.

What Zone should I board with anyway? Which number. At another connection, a Gate Agent told me it should be Zone 5. Is this true?

Also, I had quite a few trips booked back in November for travel this Spring before I had the card. Are there any sweet way to get the free checked bag for those flights booked before I was an Explorer CardHolder?

Obviously I have no status with UA due to my location but fly them from time to times.

My regards,
Minos
Old Feb 26, 2012, 3:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Minos
....What Zone should I board with anyway? ...
things are in a bit of flux still but see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17857815-post1017.html or Arriving at a single boarding process

Explorer card folks will be group 5 but not all the system are quite working yet.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 6:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Is the free bag you get with the card separate from the free bag you get as an elite...so if I'm a Silver, do I get two bags (one with the card and one with my status)?
Think of baggage allowance this way:

Maximum of (Credit Card Benefit, Status Benefit, Ticket Class Benefit).

So if you're traveling on non full fare coach, you get one free bag as it is the maximum of (1, 1, 0) = 1.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 7:37 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Recent Delay in miles posting to UA account?

My miles usually post faithfully each month from my credit card to my UA FF account. This usually happens on the 24th of each month. Four days have now past the typical posting date. Is anyone experiencing a delay in their miles being posted? Should I call now or wait until after March 3? Perhaps, they are not posting anything until after March 3?
Old Feb 29, 2012, 9:10 am

UA CC Benefits without using that card to book

Does anyone know if you still get all of the benefits (priority boarding, etc) of having the United MileagePlus Explorer card even if you don't use that card to book a flight?
Old Feb 29, 2012, 9:59 am

Programs: UA/CO 1K, AA Gold, SPG PP, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by drdavidge
Does anyone know if you still get all of the benefits (priority boarding, etc) of having the United MileagePlus Explorer card even if you don't use that card to book a flight?
I've seen lots of people just flash the card at boarding time and convince the gate agent to let them on in an earlier group than they even should (e.g. with 1Ks). In theory, your boarding group won't reflect it if you didn't book using the CC and the gate would become stricter about enforcing it ... but I doubt it. So, you're probably good!
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:07 am

Programs: UA/CO 1K, AA Gold, SPG PP, Hertz PC
OnePass number on United MP Club Visa

I had some fraudulent charges on my CC over the weekend and had to get a new card overnighted. Since it's not even Mar 3 yet, I was surprised to see my OnePass "number" on the front of my United MP Club Visa (still labeled as MileagePlus No., as it should be). Oh, the times are changing!
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA/A3
Originally Posted by joshwex90
First, the card is not a Visa Signature, just a regular Visa. Don't know why. Perhaps connected to this, I was told that the car rental insurance is secondary and not primary.
I'm in the same boat as you with $4900 CL. I read the "Guide to Benefits" wall of text that came with the card, and one of the selling points for me on this over the Sapphire was the primary rental CDW. The guide makes no mention of visa signature, as related to any of these benefits. You can call 1-888-880-5844 for the "Benefits Administrator" who probably knows better than person that activated your card what is covered. Also, it only covers mostly normal cars, no DeLorean's or Ferrari's :-(.

I think most people compare this to the Sapphire, so here's what it came down to for me:

Both had 50,000 miles, $95/year fees, and several common benefits

Sapphire
2x for travel/food and +7% miles which would have netted me about 3000, or +$110 (direct purchase from united)
=~$110 benefit

MileagePlus Explorer
3% foreign transaction fee , -$0-30, I figure it's only incidentals, and my passport has no stamps
Two club passes, +$50, sell on ebay (not that I will)
Primary CDW, +$150 (I spent $320 on this in the past year, from auto repairs)
Free checked bag, +$100
=~$270-300 benefit

Originally Posted by PBAudit
The ability to upgrade on award tickets was a major inducement to obtain the Explorer card. It said "early 2012". Has anyone heard any updates on this? I have award travel booked in mid April and I was hoping this would be in effect by then.
http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,53838,00.html seems to suggest maybe March 5th? Click on the EQM transfer button and it gives an error message.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.