Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
8/8/14 Here's the "fine print" regarding those who have received a bonus from this product in the past:

I understand that any new cardmember bonus offers for this product are not available to either current or previous cardmembers of this product who received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the last 24 months.
I understand that the terms of my account, including the APRs, are subject to change. Any such changes will be made in accordance with the Cardmember Agreement.

If you received the bonus >24 months ago you are eligible to apply. Doesn't matter when you closed the card.

Major Benefits (post-June 2018)
  • Free first checked a bag - The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free on United-operated flights when the primary Cardmember includes their MileagePlus number in their reservation and purchases their tickets from United with their United MileagePlus Explorer Card. For complete details, please visit united.com/chasebag .
  • Priority boarding - Primary Cardmembers and their companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding. (BG2)
  • No fees on foreign transactions
  • 2 United ClubSM passes each year for your travel
  • Access to XN expanded Economy Saver award inventory (not a published benefit)
  • Chip-enabled Card provides added security
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United.
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels (NEW)
  • Earn 1 mile per $1 spent - You'll earn 1 mile for each $1 spent on all other purchases.
  • Miles don't expire as long as your credit card account remains open - Your miles don't expire as long as you are a Cardmember, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn. UA miles not longer expire
  • Any seat, any time, on United-operated flights - Primary Cardmembers can use their miles to book any available seat, any time, on United-operated flights when they redeem
  • CPU award ticket eligibility for primary cardholder (only) if MP elite
  • Carryon bag allowed with Boarding Group 2 even if Basic Economy ticket
  • 25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights (NEW)
  • Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years. (NEW)

Cuts as of June 2018Purchase Price Protection - removed
Return Protection - removed
Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance - reduced

10,000 bonus miles for $25K spend will no longer be available after May 31, 2018.Those who spend $10,000-$24,999 by May 31 will receive 4,000 bonus miles this year only.

New benefits2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels
25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights
Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years.
Print Wikipost

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, CO OnePass, UA
Help!! Just got CO Card -- What is Deadline to get United Visa for bonus??

I saw this post made on this page:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17874848-post7.html

Can you kindly tell me asap what this Jan 31 deadline is that United has that he is referring to??? I currently have the CO card and don't want to miss out on any bonus offers with the United card!!!!!

Thanks so much!

I am awaiting your response as we speak!
Old Jan 26, 2012, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by ThunderStorm00
I saw this post made on this page:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17874848-post7.html

Can you kindly tell me asap what this Jan 31 deadline is that United has that he is referring to??? I currently have the CO card and don't want to miss out on any bonus offers with the United card!!!!!
The current Explorer Card 60K offer listed January 31, 2012 as the "Apply by" date.

Notice that United MileagePlus Explorer cardmembers will only receive one bonus miles award if they apply for both the United Explorer Card and the Continental OnePass Plus Card after 7/19/2011.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:00 pm

Q about MileagePlus Explorer Card perks

I asked these questions on another thread, but they were kind of unrelated to the topic there, so here we go:

1. If I were to get the new MP Explorer Visa card, does the free luggage that's included as a perk come *in addition* to the one free piece of luggage allotted to Premier Silver (i.e., I would get two free bags)?

2. Does the free bag that comes as a perk for the card also apply to a companion you book with, or just to the cardholder?

Mahalo in advance!
Crissy
Old Jan 27, 2012, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90
This is incorrect. You need a United Club card to enter the clubs. They will not let you in simply with the credit card. (Well they would - if you used it to pay the entrance fee )
Really? All I've ever had to do was give them my boarding pass, per their instruction: An attendant told me that since United Club membership is linked with your MileagePlus account, it checks you in when they scan your corresponding boarding pass.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Has anyone counted the number of Explorer Card promo letters?

Hardly a week goes by, and this week twice, the BHs (both 1Ks) have received his/hers "Introducing blah, blah, blah" mailing for the Explorer Card. Wish I'd kept track of the number to date ... has anyone counted theirs?
Old Jan 28, 2012, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by crispyteriyaki
I asked these questions on another thread, but they were kind of unrelated to the topic there, so here we go:

1. If I were to get the new MP Explorer Visa card, does the free luggage that's included as a perk come *in addition* to the one free piece of luggage allotted to Premier Silver (i.e., I would get two free bags)?

2. Does the free bag that comes as a perk for the card also apply to a companion you book with, or just to the cardholder?

Mahalo in advance!
Crissy
No. The benefit is 1 free bag, so if you already have 1 free bag (Premier Silver, international itin...) you get no additional allowance. Sorry

Really? All I've ever had to do was give them my boarding pass, per their instruction: An attendant told me that since United Club membership is linked with your MileagePlus account, it checks you in when they scan your corresponding boarding pass.
Which card are you referring to? Perhaps with the MP Club card, but this was never the case with the Presidential Plus card.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 2:01 am
EEE

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Ragnarok
Is your credit line $5000 or more?

The MP Explorer is issued as a Visa Signature card if you are approved for a $5000 / higher CL.
OK, I have what might be a dumb question - I meet this criterion, but how would I know if my card is a signature card? Will it say this someplace?

(This is the first credit card I've ever bothered to sign up for, aside from my credit union card. Haven't seen a whole lot of high-end credit cards for comparison!)

Thanks...
Old Jan 29, 2012, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by EEE
OK, I have what might be a dumb question - I meet this criterion, but how would I know if my card is a signature card? Will it say this someplace?

(This is the first credit card I've ever bothered to sign up for, aside from my credit union card. Haven't seen a whole lot of high-end credit cards for comparison!)

Thanks...
Where the Visa logo is on the front, in the bottom right corner, it should say Visa Signature.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 5:21 pm
EEE

Programs: UA Gold
Ah, got it - thanks. I was looking at the MP Explorer logo and reading the print on the back and everything, and totally looked right past the Visa logo in the corner. I think I have to thumbs-down my own post now.

(Now, off to Google to figure out what VISA signature is actually good for...)
Old Jan 30, 2012, 3:21 pm

I jumped on the Explorer 50-60K offer the 1st day. Have gotten the statement and paid it. Miles haven't dropped yet. How long does it take ? I need some more miles to book my return flight in F. wj
Old Jan 30, 2012, 3:51 pm

Programs: *Gold / HHonors Gold
ME Card and upgrades

Hi,

I know I read it somewhere where someone said (and I assume beginning March 3rd), that any flights booked as a reward flight can be upgraded if you have a ME card but need not have had to use the card to pay for any associated fees. Is this correct? I made a reservation but forgot my old UA Visa Signature card was used as its in my profile to pay the $2.50 tax.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90
No. The benefit is 1 free bag, so if you already have 1 free bag (Premier Silver, international itin...) you get no additional allowance. Sorry

Which card are you referring to? Perhaps with the MP Club card, but this was never the case with the Presidential Plus card.
Hmmm, thanks. Darn.

Re: the card, I was just referring to not having to present the United Club card to check into the United Club, which is what I thought the person I quoted was talking about . . . but maybe I was confused!

Thanks again,
Crissy
Old Feb 6, 2012, 3:16 pm

Adding a data point regarding getting the bonus as a previous United card holder:

I had the United Visa card about two years ago (50k bonus) and canceled before 1 year was up.
I got the Continental card (another 50k) in 2011 before July.
Approved for the Explorer card in December 2011 (i.e. after the terms and conditions were changed), statement just closed and 50k have been deposited in my United account!

So, at least in my case getting the bonus worked, despite the ambiguous t&c
Old Feb 7, 2012, 3:12 pm

Question

Hmmm, thanks. Darn.

Re: the card, I was just referring to not having to present the United Club card to check into the United Club, which is what I thought the person I quoted was talking about . . . but maybe I was confused!
I stopped by the United Club on a recent flight out of SEA and asked if I could use one of my two free passes, showing the MileagePlus Explorer Visa. They told me I would get paper passes in the mail and needed to use those. Well it's been about 3 months since I got this card and no passes in the mail, so I finally got around to calling the 888 number on the back. The woman there told me they come "in an email" and came in an email dated 11/30/2011 for me. I went back and looked and while I have lots of MileagePlus email (including one from 11/30/2011), none have any mention of the Club passes. Before I call back again (geez), has anyone with this MileagePlus Explorer card actually gotten paper United Club passes in the mail?
Old Feb 7, 2012, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by MikeKelly
I stopped by the United Club on a recent flight out of SEA and asked if I could use one of my two free passes, showing the MileagePlus Explorer Visa. They told me I would get paper passes in the mail and needed to use those. Well it's been about 3 months since I got this card and no passes in the mail, so I finally got around to calling the 888 number on the back. The woman there told me they come "in an email" and came in an email dated 11/30/2011 for me. I went back and looked and while I have lots of MileagePlus email (including one from 11/30/2011), none have any mention of the Club passes. Before I call back again (geez), has anyone with this MileagePlus Explorer card actually gotten paper United Club passes in the mail?
The CO OnePass Plus passes always come in paper form.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.