Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mileage Plus: Loyalty program for the new United in 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Plus: Loyalty program for the new United in 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
CO can actually expire the miles if the account is not used for 18 months as well, but it never happens.
It does never happen, but it's not the miles that can expire. If an account is not used whatsoever for 18 months, they can cancel the account. But it never happens. (Practically, doesn't seem to be a real difference)

Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
Still a couple of questions to look at. I have no problem with UMP FFP, but:

1. Would continental.com retire too? If so, that would be a really bad news for FTs out here coz this website does a much better job in reward reservation, seat assignment, and so on. .bomb has way more glitches than CO. Rewards play a huge part as I never like the reward search engine of UA.

2. Would UMP keep the tradition of upgrade order as it is or change it to the OnePass biz-oriented approach? (Fare > elite or elite > Fare)? I have warned that 1Ks would not get over 90% UDU if fare type trumps the elite status.

Things to see:

1. Many are jumping ship. Three GSs talked to me about it in LAX AC yesterday because of this CO/UA merger.

2. SWUs going down to the toilet. I have repeatedly said it's not a great policy to start having the SWUs mid July 2011 until July 31, 2011.

3. CO staff are not appreciating elites. I called PLT desk a couple of times and the sense that I got was, no elite recognition, no thank-you phrase, no loyalty phrase. 'It's all about business.' I doubt whether they are pissed off with the union development during the merger.
I don't see SWU policy being connected to which FFP survives.

As for fare trumping elite, that's not exactly the case. It's only with Y/B fares. And CO makes a lot of money due to elites buying Y/B fares to upgrade.

Originally Posted by Phlebas
It already is.

I guess what you are saying is that you hope Mileage Plus will eliminate Starnet blocking at some point in the future.

I say the odds of that are slim.

Bear in mind they are not throwing out both computer systems and installing a third one. The Mileage Plus computers and software will hum on just like before. Continental flyers and miles will be added to mileage plus accounts, and then Continental's software and computers will go dark. Starnet blocking will not magically go away in this process, it will continue as before as a "feature" of the Mileage Plus program.

So get your Continental award tickets while you can.
Not necessarily. Ever hear of changes to a program? Just because the name Mileage Plus is surviving doesn't mean it'll be Mileage Plus through and through...

Mileage Plus will look like . . . Mileage Plus. Why does anyone think otherwise?
This is a continuation of your previous post. And the answer is very simple...look at United. WITHOUT STARTING THE WHOLE THIS IS A CONTINENTAL TAKEOVER AND WHERE'S THE TULIP, the plane says United but with Continental's livery. The airline kept the United name but took stuff from Continental. MP could be the very same.

And to do the extreme, you have mergers where the name of one company is kept, but the identity of the other is what runs the every-day happenings of the company. Unfortunately, my mind is blanking, but I'll get back to you when I have a good example.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
You guys DO realize there is a cost to this, right?
With the "the airline owes me everything, I don't care about the cost" mentality dominating these boards, why should this be any different?

Since no one on these boards would likely have miles expire, I don't understand the rationale for keeping this.
Because airline decisions aren't based solely on the needs of FTers
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
. Starnet blocking will not magically go away in this process, it will continue as before as a "feature" of the Mileage Plus program. ....
Could you relate your recent experience of *Net blocking???
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Could you relate your recent experience of *Net blocking???
I thought one of the changes was the removal of *net blocking?
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by joshwex90
I thought one of the changes was the removal of *net blocking?
Little if any has been reported since the beginning of the year or longer, just curious if those batting this around have any actual recent experience of what they throw out.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:38 pm

Programs: Mileage Plan
Marketing Company

Slightly OT, but does anyone know which marketing company is handling the rebranding? I did some trials last year for the new westlaw and the logos are VERY similar...especially to some of the ones they didn't go with. Ironically, West has a product called OnePass.

https://1.next.westlaw.com/Session/SignOn.html?bhcp=1
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
With the "the airline owes me everything, I don't care about the cost" mentality dominating these boards, why should this be any different?
There's an opportunity cost to not letting miles expire for the company - call it $50 million/year (think they published it at one point, might be higher). I'd rather have that cost passed on to Kettles / GMs, instead of the company needing to make up that $50MM in different ways (StarNet blocking, award/co-pay chart inflation, bare bones RCC food, etc.) that affect "us".

Originally Posted by ASEFlyer
Slightly OT, but does anyone know which marketing company is handling the rebranding? I did some trials last year for the new westlaw and the logos are VERY similar...especially to some of the ones they didn't go with. Ironically, West has a product called OnePass.

https://1.next.westlaw.com/Session/SignOn.html?bhcp=1
I believe it's $misek, Inc. right? Didn't he come up with the new logo himself? The so-called "custom" font isn't custom in any sense.

OT, but finally had a chance to trek through ORD today. I work in the graphics & visual branding categories, and in pretty much every category, white universally resonates with consumers as cheap / private label (with a few exeptions). The expanses of white banners just look...cheap.

And the Premier Access vs. Economy signs at the gates lack key information - no wonder there's such crowding.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, National Exec

<snip>

And to do the extreme, you have mergers where the name of one company is kept, but the identity of the other is what runs the every-day happenings of the company. Unfortunately, my mind is blanking, but I'll get back to you when I have a good example.

<snip>
US Air and America West. That airline is America West (except for their ongoing union problems...), but the label says US Air...
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA-Plat./ UA-Plat.
Thanks for starting this thread, it'll be helpful info.

Please do announce the MM program changes, if any, sooner rather than later....and why is it taking so long to get this info, it's like pulling teeth....it's always "later, later" I think as Frequent flyers we'd like to know sooner than later.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAsuper80
Thanks for starting this thread, it'll be helpful info.

Please do announce the MM program changes, if any, sooner rather than later....and why is it taking so long to get this info, it's like pulling teeth....it's always "later, later" I think as Frequent flyers we'd like to know sooner than later.
I was thinking about this because I had heard that was the case, but I didn't want to say that because I had no first-hand knowledge about that
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I hope the new UA will allow non-Star partners to be mixed in star awards.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA MM
Like when Southwestern Bell acquired AT&T
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:28 pm

Programs: United 'Cattle Car', American, JetBlue Airways, Marriott Rewards 'Gold', Amtrak AGR 'Select'
Originally Posted by smitopher
Like when Southwestern Bell acquired AT&T
+1
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Something that I've not seen mentioned anywhere that is a big concern of mine regarding Mileage Plus vs. OnePass.

Not sure what the policy is these days, but last time I did a Mileage Plus award in 2008, it was impossible to make any changes to the ticket once the first segment was flown. Your choice was either fly it as booked, or abandon the remainder of the ticket.

OnePass on the other hand has allowed me to make countless changes to the return (as a Platinum at the time) for free, after I had flown the outbound portion of the ticket. There have been many times when I've been somewhere overseas and plans changed or a more desirable airline / routing combination opened up for the return that wasn't available when I booked. This is one part of OnePass I really hope survives, UA's no changes policy is pretty brutal.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:37 pm

Programs: United 'Cattle Car', American, JetBlue Airways, Marriott Rewards 'Gold', Amtrak AGR 'Select'
Happy, Happy, Happy

According To The Wording Of The Email - It Appears I Don't Have To Change My MP Number - I know it just as well as my Calif. Driver's License and SSN. The Continental Folks Should Sign Up Right Now and Transfer Their Old OP Miles to MP and not wait - before 2012 Hee Hee ^ Joe G
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by dvs7310
Something that I've not seen mentioned anywhere that is a big concern of mine regarding Mileage Plus vs. OnePass.

Not sure what the policy is these days, but last time I did a Mileage Plus award in 2008, it was impossible to make any changes to the ticket once the first segment was flown. Your choice was either fly it as booked, or abandon the remainder of the ticket.

OnePass on the other hand has allowed me to make countless changes to the return (as a Platinum at the time) for free, after I had flown the outbound portion of the ticket. There have been many times when I've been somewhere overseas and plans changed or a more desirable airline / routing combination opened up for the return that wasn't available when I booked. This is one part of OnePass I really hope survives, UA's no changes policy is pretty brutal.
Most of nasty UA policies have changed. check it out. Only bad things are not allowing non-star members in star awards and starnet blocking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.