Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can I book award ticket for someone else?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2011, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Does Mileage Plus allow me to book an award ticket using my miles for someone else? I mean the traveler is not me, and I won't be traveling at all.

At least a few years back, I know this could be done on AA. Wondering if I can do this on United now? Appreciate any quick answers. Thanks.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by AbyssalLoris
Does Mileage Plus allow me to book an award ticket using my miles for someone else? I mean the traveler is not me, and I won't be traveling at all.

At least a few years back, I know this could be done on AA. Wondering if I can do this on United now? Appreciate any quick answers. Thanks.
Yes, you could, if you are 1K there is no fee. ^
Old Jun 22, 2011, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
im a 1P and ive booked tix for my mom no fee either. if there is a fee, its probably brand new cuz ive never heard of one
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:03 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
im a 1P and ive booked tix for my mom no fee either. if there is a fee, its probably brand new cuz ive never heard of one
Online, no fee for all passengers.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:32 pm

Programs: United 2P, AA Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
Same; booked for a family member a month or so ago - no fee (I'm 1P here, but I don't think there's a fee for anyone).
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott Plat Premier
Just curious if when you buy a ticket for a family members using my miles, will they get the Prem Exec privileges even if I am not flying with them?
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by Cantheplanegofaster?
Just curious if when you buy a ticket for a family members using my miles, will they get the Prem Exec privileges even if I am not flying with them?
No -- this seems to work only for CO elites with CO miles on CO flights. This is technically a bug in the system but we perceive it as a benefit. If you have your accounts linked and status matched, you can transfer miles and use your Gold/Plat status to get the tix. The family members would have elite privs then.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 8:14 am

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Online, no fee for all passengers.
I just booked a trip for a friend right before June 15. I was a 1P at the time and there was no fee, and never have heard of any fee for an online booking (other than taxes/fuel surcharges). I'm not aware of any change to this part of the fee structure with the most recent changes to the award fee rules.
Old May 3, 2012, 10:41 pm

Book award tickets for family members?

What's the new UA policy on booking award tickets for family members? I was told my account could get suspended if I booked award tickets for anyone other than myself.

I did some google search on flyertalk.com, this is the closest question that i could find:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...eone-else.html

Not sure if this is still true on the new UA. I couldn't seem to find an answer on UA's website.
Old May 3, 2012, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
You can book an award ticket for anyone else.

They audit things from time to time, but booking for someone with a same last name or same address or on the same trip as you is not likely to trigger anything.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:51 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
United NOOB here, but just to recap since I saw conflicting info between here and some other posts, but this thread seems newer...

Wife and I are planning to go to Palau and we've setup an account for my grandmother and also earned her some Ultimate Reward points under a card in her name to transfer to her united account too. There should not be an issue booking my ticket for this trip using her united account, correct? There will be other airlines besides United themselves involved I have a feeling (or at least airlines "operated" by United). Some other threads mentioned having to get a waiver at AIRPORT (???) if you book for someone else and flights are not all United. Crazy....

Thanks.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by glocklt4
United NOOB here, but just to recap since I saw conflicting info between here and some other posts, but this thread seems newer...

Wife and I are planning to go to Palau and we've setup an account for my grandmother and also earned her some Ultimate Reward points under a card in her name to transfer to her united account too. There should not be an issue booking my ticket for this trip using her united account, correct? There will be other airlines besides United themselves involved I have a feeling (or at least airlines "operated" by United). Some other threads mentioned having to get a waiver at AIRPORT (???) if you book for someone else and flights are not all United. Crazy....

Thanks.
Shouldn't be a problem, especially since the relationship makes it less likely that you are engaging in prohibited selling/buying/bartering of miles.

However, IIRC you can't use miles from different accounts to book award tickets on the same PNR, although phone agents might be able to do this. (Service charge might apply for phone bookings of award tickets.) A phone agent should be able to "link" two PNRs for free, but this doesn't do much.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Absolutely no issue at all purchasing your ticket from her account. No waiver needed.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by star_world
Absolutely no issue at all purchasing your ticket from her account. No waiver needed.
Where an audit would lead to trouble is if the account were fraudulent--for instance, if it had been opened by a dead grandmother.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:10 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Perfect, thanks guys. I will have to transfer about 20k UR points to her UA account for the full 120k required for business class down there. Don't want to bother with trying to combine miles.

Now, trying to find biz flights down there with very limited schedules in the first place is the bigger challenge!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.