Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade international (EWR-DUB) CO flight as UA 2p with miles?

Old Jun 2, 2011, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

I tried searching and found the reverse situation... but couldn't find definitive info on my issue...

I'm looking to head to Dublin next Wed/Thu (overnight flt 122 or 22)...
I'm afraid of being in Y in a 757 for 6hrs... Is there a way I can purchase and immediately upgrade with miles? I'm just a lowly 2p with UA now, but have the miles to burn if I can upgrade....

There are 4 or 5 FC seats available on each flight...

thanks for any guidance,

-Mike
Old Jun 2, 2011, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
You can if there is upgrade space available (R class). Do a dummy booking at CO.com and on the advanced search page tick the box for OnePass Upgrade. If there is R space available it will tell you.

Your status doesn't matter unless you're waitlisted. There will also be a copay unless you're buying a Y/B fare. You will also have to transfer miles from your UA account to your CO account to upgrade CO metal.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by nekbet
I tried searching and found the reverse situation... but couldn't find definitive info on my issue...

I'm looking to head to Dublin next Wed/Thu (overnight flt 122 or 22)...
I'm afraid of being in Y in a 757 for 6hrs... Is there a way I can purchase and immediately upgrade with miles? I'm just a lowly 2p with UA now, but have the miles to burn if I can upgrade....

There are 4 or 5 FC seats available on each flight...

thanks for any guidance,

-Mike
Yes, although I did this flight earlier this year in Y, and it was quite pleasant. Anyway, you need to have your accounts linked as you can only use CO miles (unless this is a *A upgrade). Check the website to see if you can "upgrade instantly" or "waitlist". Go ahead and apply the miles. That should do it. Call CO reservations if you wish to assist or do it through the website. Remember there is a co-pay that size dependis upon fare class.

Here is the link for the miles and co-pay:
http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...rade/fees.aspx

Here is the link for the chart to use for miles required:
http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...wards_2011.pdf

Here is how to link accounts if required:
http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...ignInHome.aspx

Good Luck and Safe Travels
Old Jun 2, 2011, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the info and the links....

I tried a booking with the onepass upgrade.... no go on anything I want. All unavailable.

Doesn't seem like a pleasant way to get to Dublin on UA/CO... best looks like US on a 767...

regards,

Mike
Old Jun 2, 2011, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC

I tried a booking with the onepass upgrade.... no go on anything I want. All unavailable.

Doesn't seem like a pleasant way to get to Dublin on UA/CO... best looks like US on a 767...

regards,

Mike
Is it as good as business class no, but seats are fairly comfortable, AVOD at each seat is nice. I liked it for it was. YMMV

Safe Travels
Old Jun 2, 2011, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Ambassador/Plat, Hyatt Diamond

regards,

Mike
The CO 757s have flat bed seats in them. It definitely isn't a bad way to travel if you are traveling in BF. Not sure if the US 767s have flat bed seats or not.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GTITAN
Is it as good as business class no, but seats are fairly comfortable, AVOD at each seat is nice. I liked it for it was. YMMV

Safe Travels
I'm tall with long legs... it is rough just to sit for a bit..
if the person in front of me even thinks about reclining, my life becomes hell.

Seatguru says 31" pitch still...

regards,

Mike
Old Jun 2, 2011, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat

regards,

Mike
The upgrades are rarely possible to confirm in advance - but you can waitlist and have a decent chance of clearing on this route.

Failing that - at T-24 you will be able to select ELR seats, and again there is a very good chance of them being available on this route. Row 7A/C, 8D/F or anything in row 21 is very bearable on this aircraft. It's certainly a far better experience than the 767s that US uses on PHL-DUB. I've flown CO EWR-DUB many, many times in Y and it's a very easy flight.

Edited: just saw your post below - and having flown on both in Y, I would strongly recommend the CO 752 over the US 767.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cuse44
The CO 757s have flat bed seats in them. It definitely isn't a bad way to travel if you are traveling in BF. Not sure if the US 767s have flat bed seats or not.
That is the problem - no BF... It'd be coach on both... and I'd rather be on a US 767 than a CO 757 for that amount of time.

regards,
Mike
Old Jun 2, 2011, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by star_world
The upgrades are rarely possible to confirm in advance - but you can waitlist and have a decent chance of clearing on this route.

Failing that - at T-24 you will be able to select ELR seats, and again there is a very good chance of them being available on this route. Row 7A/C, 8D/F or anything in row 21 is very bearable on this aircraft. It's certainly a far better experience than the 767s that US uses on PHL-DUB. I've flown CO EWR-DUB many, many times in Y and it's a very easy flight.

Edited: just saw your post below - and having flown on both in Y, I would strongly recommend the CO 752 over the US 767.
Interesting. As a UA 2p I can't select ELR seats in advance, can I?

regards,
Mike
Old Jun 2, 2011, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Ambassador/Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Interesting. As a UA 2p I can't select ELR seats in advance, can I?

regards,
Mike
Nope. Only within 24 hours of checkin. You might want to waitlist the upgrade and then snag an ELR seat at checkin if your upgrade hasn't cleared.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.