Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Sign in using an external account

Old May 29, 11, 9:22 pm   #1

Standby to extend award stopover?

Hi all -- so sorry of this question has been asked, but I haven't seen this permutation before..I'm looking to book a SFO-LAX-LHR-(onwards) award ticket at some point in the near future, but I adore spending a day in Los Angeles with friends before continuing onwards.

Unfortunately, 24 hours for a stopover isn't enough for me in this city, and that's all that allowed by most frequent flyer programmes. Would it be OK if I were to tactically book an 11PM SFO-LAX departure, and then an LAX-LHR flight for the following evening, and then stand by for a 6AM SFO-LAX flight so as to extend my stay to >24 hours in LA? Does UA allowed standbys for 1P members on award tickets issued by partner airlines? Are SFO-LAX loads light enough to make this a reasonably fool-proof plan?

Thanks so much!

Edit: If UA adopts CO's +/- 24 hour confirmed standby policy, would this be a good situation where I might be able to use it to my advantage?
londonienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 11, 5:20 am   #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; DL Plat; SPG Gold; Hilton Silver; Marriott Gold; Hertz 5-Star; Avis First/Pres Club
award tickets allow for one stopover and one open jaw. Provided you do not have a stopover elsewhere on the itin, you can take a stopover in LAX for as long as you want.

Otherwise, a connection is up to 24 hours.
channa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 11, 7:08 am   #3

Programs: Starwood LT Platinum w/ AMB, UA 1K 1MM
Quote:
Originally Posted by channa View Post
award tickets allow for one stopover and one open jaw. Provided you do not have a stopover elsewhere on the itin, you can take a stopover in LAX for as long as you want.

Otherwise, a connection is up to 24 hours.
Just to be clear, and please correct me if I'm wrong - it is one stopover OR one open jaw. We cannot have both on the same award.
clublounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 11, 7:17 am   #4

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Quote:
Originally Posted by clublounger View Post
Just to be clear, and please correct me if I'm wrong - it is one stopover OR one open jaw. We cannot have both on the same award.
Not familiar with the UA rules but it is certainly possible to do both on a CO reward ticket. OP could easily transfer miles between accounts if necessary.
star_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 11, 8:59 am   #5
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; DL Plat; SPG Gold; Hilton Silver; Marriott Gold; Hertz 5-Star; Avis First/Pres Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by star_world View Post
Not familiar with the UA rules but it is certainly possible to do both on a CO reward ticket. OP could easily transfer miles between accounts if necessary.

They're both stopover and open jaw.
channa is online now   Reply With Quote