Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"You're going to like where we land." UA's New Ad Campaign

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2011, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold

Following the flight 93/175 reinstatement debacle, another gaffe out of UACO at the site of the UAL175 crash:

Edit: ugh, why doesn't my img tag work?
Old May 19, 2011, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by mduell
Following the flight 93/175 reinstatement debacle, another gaffe out of UACO at the site of the UAL175 crash:

Edit: ugh, why doesn't my img tag work?
I think you will like the changes!!
Old May 19, 2011, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
At least, I think this shouldn't be blamed directly on UA management. These ads are probably placed by whatever ad agency UA uses. But yeah, it's pretty inappropriate.
Old May 19, 2011, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LA_Traveler
These ads are probably placed by whatever ad agency UA uses.
Kaplan Thaler, PMCO's agency, who are due to be dumped soon anyway.

Last edited by mduell; May 19, 2011 at 5:53 pm
Old May 19, 2011, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I don't care who actually approves ads & placements - there are no words to describe the incredible incompetence of this new management.

The tens of thousands of commuters who pass by that sign every day don't likely know $misek from an intern, this two bit agency versus the big boys, but I'm sure they don't think too highly of this airline now.
Old May 19, 2011, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Unbelievable.
Old May 19, 2011, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Yea that is highly inappropriate.
Old May 19, 2011, 6:39 pm

Innapropriate.
Old May 19, 2011, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
While I agree it's inappropriate, I know first hand that this isn't directly their fault. While they can immediately call up their agency to swap it out with another creative, they bought advertising space throughout NY. United didn't specifically hand pick which subway stops and bus shelters their ads would go.

Again, don't agree with this ad at this location, but I can't fault UA directly for this either.
Old May 19, 2011, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
While I agree it's inappropriate, I know first hand that this isn't directly their fault. While they can immediately call up their agency to swap it out with another creative, they bought advertising space throughout NY. United didn't specifically hand pick which subway stops and bus shelters their ads would go.

Again, don't agree with this ad at this location, but I can't fault UA directly for this either.
I'm guessing it wouldn't have been too difficult to specify that, among all OOH pieces submitted for local display, this particular one should not be by Ground Zero.
Old May 19, 2011, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I am waiting for someone to send this picture to Twitter. This might cause another interesting wave for UA
Old May 19, 2011, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
Originally Posted by mduell
Kaplan Thaler, PMCO's agency, who are due to be dumped soon anyway.
That's the best darn news i've heard all day! What a FAIL of an agency...
Old May 19, 2011, 7:20 pm

Programs: Bonvoy (Titanium) . Delta (Platinum)
I walk through ground zero every day on my commute, and never even made the connection some are making here. It isn't like the ads are on the site, they are on the subway entrances, and the photo in this thread is not typically how the ad is going to be viewed. A bit of an overreaction here. The guy in the story who didn't really notice it is probably typical. Right now in NYC we are being bombarded with in-car subway campaigns for Delta and JetBlue, and now these are flooding the subway entrances. They all blend together.
Old May 19, 2011, 8:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
the PR guys at united need to wake up
Old May 19, 2011, 8:30 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by defiance96
I walk through ground zero every day on my commute, and never even made the connection some are making here. It isn't like the ads are on the site, they are on the subway entrances, and the photo in this thread is not typically how the ad is going to be viewed. A bit of an overreaction here. The guy in the story who didn't really notice it is probably typical. Right now in NYC we are being bombarded with in-car subway campaigns for Delta and JetBlue, and now these are flooding the subway entrances. They all blend together.
Thanks you!

It is a business area. Many companies continue to advertise in business areas for products used by the target audience.

Have the terrorists won, should all american ways of life change in reference to the terrorists actions? Isn't that one of the goals of terrorism, to force us to change what we do?

The message of the ad is clear: We fly to many places you like to go. One can try to find a hidden symbolic evil in everything, but really, who is the bad person, the person who tries to move on with business as usual, to continue with recovery, or the person who tries to find fault with everything, to blame a company that was victimized as much as any other company that day, for trying to move on with buisness as usual.

Remember the past, learn from it, but move along with life. Don't let the intents of the evil doers change you forever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.