Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

FAA fines United for Employee Safety violations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releas...m?newsId=12825

FAA proposed $584,375 fines for employee safety violations. This is not good enough at all. The Employee should have follow the rules and not try to making another mistaken again in the future.

FORT WORTH – The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has proposed to assess a $584,375 civil penalty against United Airlines, Inc., of Elk Grove Village, Ill., for allegedly violating FAA and U.S. Department of Transportation (DoT) regulations for random drug and alcohol testing of safety-sensitive employees.
Good Riddance to UA!!!!
Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by N830MH
Good Riddance to UA!!!!

Since it was a press release, from the federal govt. I don't this it is a ToS violation to post the whole release:

Which put the story into context:

FORT WORTH – The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has proposed to assess a $584,375 civil penalty against United Airlines, Inc., of Elk Grove Village, Ill., for allegedly violating FAA and U.S. Department of Transportation (DoT) regulations for random drug and alcohol testing of safety-sensitive employees.

The FAA alleges United failed to perform required pre-employment drug tests and receive verified negative test results before transferring 13 individuals to safety-sensitive positions, as required by FAA and DoT regulations.

The FAA also cited United for allegedly failing to use a scientifically valid method to ensure that each member of the company’s flight crews, all of whom are safety-sensitive employees, has an equal chance of being selected for random drug and alcohol testing each time a selection is made. The FAA warned United at least twice before that the company’s random test selection methods did not give each eligible flight crew member an equal chance of being selected.

“Drug testing is both a critical and a required safety measure that all operators must follow,” said FAA Administrator Randy Babbitt.

United Airlines has 30 days from the receipt of the FAA’s enforcement letter to respond to the agency.
First, I will NOT give UA a total pass, especially since they had been warned 2X on the random test issue.

But honestly, this is not a big deal... DoT fines trucking companies for stuff like this all the time.

IMhO, its especially no big deal because its not that they were not drug testing, rather the method they used to select who would be chosen for random testing. So unless you have employees who know how the selection works out (which *could* happen), it doesn't mean fastair has been free to hit the bong at lunchtime.

As far as the original testing/security issue, it seems the 13 employees were transfers and not new hires, so... is it possible that UA thought thier original test would have been sufficient?
Old Jun 17, 2011, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780

Since it was a press release, from the federal govt. I don't this it is a ToS violation to post the whole release:

Which put the story into context:

First, I will NOT give UA a total pass, especially since they had been warned 2X on the random test issue.

But honestly, this is not a big deal... DoT fines trucking companies for stuff like this all the time.

IMhO, its especially no big deal because its not that they were not drug testing, rather the method they used to select who would be chosen for random testing. So unless you have employees who know how the selection works out (which *could* happen), it doesn't mean fastair has been free to hit the bong at lunchtime.

As far as the original testing/security issue, it seems the 13 employees were transfers and not new hires, so... is it possible that UA thought thier original test would have been sufficient?
FORT WORTH – The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has proposed to assess a $584,375 civil penalty against United Airlines, Inc.
No issue with the "safety violation"...but half a million dollars would buy a whole lot of Domestic First Pillows.

Warned x 2 was the part that bothered me most.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by goodeats21
but half a million dollars would buy a whole lot of Domestic First Pillows.
Just adding a caveat....

500K is the "proposed" fine. In most instances this is reduced considerably, once UA responds to the proposal (makes corrective actions, pleads pverty, etc.).

IIRC, UA, WN, F9 or another US based carrier had a proposed fine a few years ago... $5, $10 maybe even like $20 million, that was settled for a few hundered thousand.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Just adding a caveat....

500K is the "proposed" fine. In most instances this is reduced considerably, once UA responds to the proposal (makes corrective actions, pleads pverty, etc.).

IIRC, UA, WN, F9 or another US based carrier had a proposed fine a few years ago... $5, $10 maybe even like $20 million, that was settled for a few hundered thousand.
Point taken.

I am no expert in airline operations, but really seems odd to me that a US airline was warned twice about something by the FAA and still ended up getting pinched. I would think it would be in UAs best interest to keep FAA pretty happy.

I am sure it is more complicated than that, but just struck me as an easily avoidable situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.