Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (specifically not standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply almost, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your first originally scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to answer 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: If the answer to both questions is yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for GM's and Silvers - the fees is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.
  • The proposed remaining itinerary must be operated by United or United Express®, and the ticket number must begin with 016. (see nuances below)

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United.com “change flight” link before checking in, within T-24. (Many have reported recently that this has problems and attempts to collect the full fare difference and $200 change fee.)
  • "Search Other Flight Options" button during OLCI. (This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.)
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = possible using any method
A = possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (e.g. JFK-> LGA; see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal (e.g. JFK -> EWR): N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2014, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Interesting.

Have a copy of the e-ticket receipt? Would be curious if it changed or not...
Old Nov 18, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Titanium, Hertz - President's Circle
Originally Posted by qasr
Interesting.
+1
Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:05 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
LH ticket booked with miles. Non stop JFK-SFO. Flyer is not Elite, but UA website offers SDC for $75 to few UA flights with the same routing.
Originally Posted by afrozenfyre
I'll add another success story:

Ticket stock: LH (out LH #/oper, return UA interlined)
Flight#: UA
Operated: UA
Changed to: UA coded/operated

Called and first agent saw the LH ticket and said "I can't touch it", HUCA, second asked for my PNR, confirmed both flights were within 24-hours (asked for my current time zone) and had it done in two minutes with no other questions and at the SDC fee (aka, no charge for Golds+).

I suspect it's probably safer on a return flight where you don't need to mess with keeping the ticket intact really and UA already controls the capacity.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:07 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Another one: Lifemiles ticket on UA with a final segment on Turkish. Cannot change not online, not on the phone. Cannot change even under travel waver (rep:call Lifemiles). When one of the flights was 45 minutes delayed was able to change on the phone with pretty liberal routing.

Last edited by al613; Nov 18, 2014 at 7:20 pm
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:57 am

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Flying LAX-IAH-LHR in W fare class and confirmed upgrade to R I have an overnight in IAH (like a 20 hr layover)
My first flight leaves LAX at 237pm so is that when I can attempt to do a SDC? Will the long layover effect anything? I really want to try and get the non-stop or something without a long layover but from reading looks like if my new flight leaves less than 24hrs I cant apply my GPU

Any advice...thanks
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cbrown5294
Flying LAX-IAH-LHR in W fare class and confirmed upgrade to R I have an overnight in IAH (like a 20 hr layover)
My first flight leaves LAX at 237pm so is that when I can attempt to do a SDC? Will the long layover effect anything? I really want to try and get the non-stop or something without a long layover but from reading looks like if my new flight leaves less than 24hrs I cant apply my GPU

Any advice...thanks
You can apply the GPU within 24 hours to open R. Which would be the only circumstance in which you would want to give up a confirmed TATL upgrade anyway. Of course, open R is now a real rarity on the LHR flights from LAX/SFO. You have a much better chance of moving to a same-day flight LAX-IAH (though probably in Y, which I would take over a 20 hour IAH layover).

Note that you have to call to make any change to an upgraded segment, and you want to make sure the agent sees the open R on the new flight before he/she makes the change.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 12:27 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I read the wiki, however has anyone been sucessfukk changing a SNA Departure to a LAX Departure with SDC . Thanks and Safe Travels
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by Kacee
You can apply the GPU within 24 hours to open R. Which would be the only circumstance in which you would want to give up a confirmed TATL upgrade anyway. Of course, open R is now a real rarity on the LHR flights from LAX/SFO. You have a much better chance of moving to a same-day flight LAX-IAH (though probably in Y, which I would take over a 20 hour IAH layover).

Note that you have to call to make any change to an upgraded segment, and you want to make sure the agent sees the open R on the new flight before he/she makes the change.
Only if your LAX flight is delayed, cancelled or has some sort of IROPS ahead of time that you can call UA and ask to move to SNA. But otherwise, no, you won't find an agent who will make this change.

-RM
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:12 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Only if your LAX flight is delayed, cancelled or has some sort of IROPS ahead of time that you can call UA and ask to move to SNA. But otherwise, no, you won't find an agent who will make this change.

-RM
I think you meant to respond to this question:

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I read the wiki, however has anyone been sucessfukk changing a SNA Departure to a LAX Departure with SDC . Thanks and Safe Travels
This is considered virtually impossible as an SDC.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 5:43 pm

I am incredibly lucky. Last week was the 3rd time in a year that I managed convert a flight originating from BWI into one from DCA. It's one of the toughest SDCs. I had a legitimate reason every time though, not abusing the system by buying a cheaper BWI flight and then getting it changed. I fly out of BWI plenty of times.

This time I had to call 3 times though, the first 2 reps would not do it.

Last edited by leonidas; Nov 21, 2014 at 6:58 pm
Old Nov 21, 2014, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Originally Posted by leonidas
I am incredibly lucky. Last week was the 3rd time in a year that I managed to convert to a flight originating from BWI into one from DCA. It's one of the toughest SDCs. I had a legitimate reason every time though, not abusing the system by buying a cheaper BWI flight and then getting it changed. I fly out of BWI plenty of time.

This time I had to call 3 times though, the first 2 reps would not do it.
Besides IRROPS, what could be a legitimate reason?
Old Nov 21, 2014, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by qasr
Besides IRROPS, what could be a legitimate reason?
Legitimate to me , as in I genuinely needed to fly out of DCA at the last moment.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton something
24 hour "same day" change at 23 and 1/4 hours?

I'm booked SFO-RDU departing 3:05pm on Sunday. In a perfect world I'd like to get myself switched over to the 3:45pm flight the day before. Those good at math will note that this is technically within the 24 hour "same-day" window, but it's awfully close.

Anyone care to comment on the odds of this working? I'm trying to get at least some idea of how likely this is to work because I'd basically have to be standing at the security entrance at SFO ready to get the change if it happens.

Any other advice on ways to do this? (and yes, I know I can pay >$600 to change the flight but that's clearly what I'm trying to avoid.)
Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:45 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ljwobker
I'd basically have to be standing at the security entrance at SFO ready to get the change if it happens.
You could book a ticket for the current day just to get through security, then cancel it, though it's technically a violation of the CoC.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
You could book a ticket for the current day just to get through security, then cancel it, though it's technically a violation of the CoC.
This is an excellent idea.^
OP could book a one-way award to somewhere, and then cancel it on the other side of security.

Only downside is no checked baggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.