Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (specifically not standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply almost, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your first originally scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to answer 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: If the answer to both questions is yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for GM's and Silvers - the fees is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.
  • The proposed remaining itinerary must be operated by United or United Express®, and the ticket number must begin with 016. (see nuances below)

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United.com “change flight” link before checking in, within T-24. (Many have reported recently that this has problems and attempts to collect the full fare difference and $200 change fee.)
  • "Search Other Flight Options" button during OLCI. (This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.)
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = possible using any method
A = possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (e.g. JFK-> LGA; see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal (e.g. JFK -> EWR): N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2014, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by goldelite8
I have upcoming travel next week upgraded with a GPU. If I switch to a flight with availability in both my original fare class and in R class, will I need to provide a pin for the GPU? I don't know it because it was done with GPUs from a friend.
I have done that in the past and in general it does not make the GPU go back and be re-applied especially if multiple segments are involved. To make sure just tell the agent what you want to do ... they can add a new flight in R and just swap it out without touching the upgrade instrument.
Mind you that technically within 24 hours they don't have to clear your GPU.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by goldelite8
I have upcoming travel next week upgraded with a GPU. If I switch to a flight with availability in both my original fare class and in R class, will I need to provide a pin for the GPU? I don't know it because it was done with GPUs from a friend.
IME the agent does not need a PIN to move the GPU to the new flight

Originally Posted by cfischer
..... Mind you that technically within 24 hours they don't have to clear your GPU.
i think you are confused, the OP wants to move to a flight with availability in R, so there is no issue in applying under T-24.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:24 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K
Hi,

I searched the thread and couldn't find an answer to my question.

On Monday, I'm returning to Boston from a weekend in LAS with LAS-IAH-ORD-BOS. LAS-IAH is in E, and IAH-ORD-BOS in A. Booked as a multi-city. Really hoping to SDC to maximize the length of my segments in F, possibly to LAS-SFO (E) SFO-BOS (A) or something similar.

Is this sort of SDC possible/legal? I couldn't find anything about mixed fare itineraries.

Input is greatly appreciated

Thanks,

UATulip
Old Jul 26, 2014, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA MM
SDC for Premier Members

Does "no charge" also extend to someone flying with me on the same PNR?

Are there specific routes offered in the same fare class, or is there flexibility in creating your own routing?

I can't believe I just found out about SDC - I wonder what else I haven't been taking advantage of.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
routing must conform to routing rules based on the fare you purchased.
non-premier member usually NOT included in free SDC, but it can be done at the airport w/ the right agent.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 7:51 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
And premiere doesn't cut it (as title suggests.). Your profile creds say 1k. Gold and higher, correct?
Old Jul 26, 2014, 7:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by fastair
And premiere doesn't cut it (as title suggests.). Your profile creds say 1k. Gold and higher, correct?
Premiers can SDC. It's just not free.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Premiers can SDC. It's just not free.
An "no charge" generally means "free." See OP.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UATulip
Hi,

I searched the thread and couldn't find an answer to my question.

On Monday, I'm returning to Boston from a weekend in LAS with LAS-IAH-ORD-BOS. LAS-IAH is in E, and IAH-ORD-BOS in A. Booked as a multi-city. Really hoping to SDC to maximize the length of my segments in F, possibly to LAS-SFO (E) SFO-BOS (A) or something similar.

Is this sort of SDC possible/legal? I couldn't find anything about mixed fare itineraries.

Input is greatly appreciated

Thanks,

UATulip
Even with a very accommodating agent, probably not. Even though on the same PNR, since it is a split ticket you would likely still need to connect in IAH.

What you *may* be able to do is refare in a lower F bucket (Z or P) the whole way, on a more direct routing. Not sure via SFO would count but you'd have to see what is legal for LAS-BOS in that case. Note that many cheap F fares specifically exclude premium routes like SFO-BOS.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Android app and web give same options?

I am going to try a international SDC tomorrow from France. DOn't have easy phone access here so will use Android app or web. Do they offer the same options in general? Is one more reliable or easier to see the most options? Sorry -- didn't see this answered and the number of posts is getting large.....
Old Jul 27, 2014, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cfischer
routing must conform to routing rules based on the fare you purchased.
non-premier member usually NOT included in free SDC, but it can be done at the airport w/ the right agent.
No.

In practice, routing is not limited to purchased fare.

Non-premier on same PNR IS included.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 2:19 am

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Trying to SDC my CDG-EWR-SFo to CDG-SFO tomorrow but not offered any options on-line and don't see any change flight button ont he app. does this mean I am out of luck? I am on a P fare and the SFO flight shows a P available. Unfortunately, I do not have phone access here. Anything else I can try?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Trying to SDC my CDG-EWR-SFo to CDG-SFO tomorrow but not offered any options on-line and don't see any change flight button ont he app. does this mean I am out of luck? I am on a P fare and the SFO flight shows a P available. Unfortunately, I do not have phone access here. Anything else I can try?
If you have internet, you have phone. Use VOIP - I like Vonage, but there are numerous providers.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K
If you're a 1K, you can use the magical foreign tool-free phone line from that booklet you got with your kit.

Or VOIP, of course.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Find a phone. If the app/website isn't offering it, which is strange but not unheard of, then you'll get it done in 5 mins on the phone--assuming there is still availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.