Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (specifically not standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply almost, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your first originally scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to answer 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: If the answer to both questions is yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for GM's and Silvers - the fees is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.
  • The proposed remaining itinerary must be operated by United or United Express®, and the ticket number must begin with 016. (see nuances below)

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United.com “change flight” link before checking in, within T-24. (Many have reported recently that this has problems and attempts to collect the full fare difference and $200 change fee.)
  • "Search Other Flight Options" button during OLCI. (This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.)
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = possible using any method
A = possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (e.g. JFK-> LGA; see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal (e.g. JFK -> EWR): N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Old Jul 21, 2014, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by TXbizman
Hi,

Apologize if this question has been answered previously.

I have enjoyed few SDCs as a 1K on the same route (mostly earlier). Now I might need to make changes to a different city. I have a Y class tix from XXX-XXX-IAH but want to change it to next day from XXX-XXX-ABQ. Dot bomb bombed out on me and I had to call. I was informed that SDC would not work as my final destination will change and I will need to pay extra $350... fare difference and change fee.

Anyone tell me if this is true?
Yes...

If this worked, I would buy all my tickets from LAX to SFO saying "I can see Paris in my future!"
Old Jul 21, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold 1 Presidence Circle
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Yes...

If this worked, I would buy all my tickets from LAX to SFO saying "I can see Paris in my future!"
Ahhh, get the point. I am not trying to get to Paris, rather somewhere close to home... But makes sense...
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
How does SDC work if you've checked luggage? I assume it's not smart enough to reroute luggage but does it even let you switch flights?
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by qasr
How does SDC work if you've checked luggage? I assume it's not smart enough to reroute luggage but does it even let you switch flights?
Domestically, the systems will. Humans might not. Domestically, your luggage doesn't actually have to follow you, but many agents seem to think it does.

I'm not sure about international.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Domestically, the systems will. Humans might not. Domestically, your luggage doesn't actually have to follow you, but many agents seem to think it does.

I'm not sure about international.
The kiosks, app, and website have all never offered me the SDC option if I've checked a bag.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
The kiosks, app, and website have all never offered me the SDC option if I've checked a bag.
Interesting, I stand corrected then.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by TXbizman
Hi,

Apologize if this question has been answered previously.

I have enjoyed few SDCs as a 1K on the same route (mostly earlier). Now I might need to make changes to a different city. I have a Y class tix from XXX-XXX-IAH but want to change it to next day from XXX-XXX-ABQ. Dot bomb bombed out on me and I had to call. I was informed that SDC would not work as my final destination will change and I will need to pay extra $350... fare difference and change fee.

Anyone tell me if this is true?
There is an easy work around for this. SDC to another routing with O and D the same. But upfare to a flexible ticket (which can be done without a fee). From there, you can make any change you want.

Mind you, it gets complicated if your ticket isn't one way.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Was looking to change a P fare business class international ticket today. Usually don't have P, so maybe I did somethign wrong but:

it's under 24 hours from first flight.
select change option on .com (not specifying business class or p fare) and am offered flight in economy in U class, with a big fare increase and a a change fee. I'm 1k so shouldn't have the fee.

Am I doing something wrong other than assuming .bomb might work?
Are you trying to get on an earlier or later flt? The flt you want to change to has to be within 24 hours of the time of the change. So if your desires flight is in 26 hours you can't SDC until that flt is within the 24 hour window,
Old Jul 24, 2014, 1:56 pm

I haven't been able to locate the "change flight" option on my app recently although I've used it several times in the past. Anyone else having this issue or am I doing something wrong?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Originally Posted by JetAway
I haven't been able to locate the "change flight" option on my app recently although I've used it several times in the past. Anyone else having this issue or am I doing something wrong?
For SDC, it is in the check-in flow. If available, it will be a full width banner saying "Switch to another flight."

If you don't see that, then the app has determined no applicable availability. There still might be some (check EF, for example) and you can still call to switch in that case.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Its big and it has a picture on it. Threw me off, since i was just looking for a line of text, same as 'view reservation'.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 2:49 pm

Found it-many thanks. I had checked in online and forgot that it was part of "Check In" on the app.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by zrs70
There is an easy work around for this. SDC to another routing with O and D the same. But upfare to a flexible ticket (which can be done without a fee). From there, you can make any change you want.

Mind you, it gets complicated if your ticket isn't one way.
I guess this wouldn't work if I wanted to change the origin? I have an upcoming XXX-ORD-SFO; as it turns out, YYY-ORD-SFO would be way more convenient. It's a o/w ticket and the second flight wouldn't change.

Absent upfaring, hypothetical severe storms at ORD on the same day would probably be the easiest way to get a phone agent to bend the rules, right?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
I guess this wouldn't work if I wanted to change the origin? I have an upcoming XXX-ORD-SFO; as it turns out, YYY-ORD-SFO would be way more convenient. It's a o/w ticket and the second flight wouldn't change.

Absent upfaring, hypothetical severe storms at ORD on the same day would probably be the easiest way to get a phone agent to bend the rules, right?
It would absolutely work. Upfare it to the same O/D. Take the new ticket and change it to whatever you want.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
I have upcoming travel next week upgraded with a GPU. If I switch to a flight with availability in both my original fare class and in R class, will I need to provide a pin for the GPU? I don't know it because it was done with GPUs from a friend.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.