Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (specifically not standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply almost, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your first originally scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to answer 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: If the answer to both questions is yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for GM's and Silvers - the fees is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.
  • The proposed remaining itinerary must be operated by United or United Express®, and the ticket number must begin with 016. (see nuances below)

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United.com “change flight” link before checking in, within T-24. (Many have reported recently that this has problems and attempts to collect the full fare difference and $200 change fee.)
  • "Search Other Flight Options" button during OLCI. (This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.)
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = possible using any method
A = possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (e.g. JFK-> LGA; see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal (e.g. JFK -> EWR): N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Anyone ever SDC an UPDI fare? Is the underlying fare bucket or the P bucket the critical one for SDC? Looking at some UPDIs but need and or want to pull the sdc cord.
It rebooks into P ^
Old Apr 24, 2014, 6:46 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, Priority Club/Intercontinental Platinum Ambassador
Standby - same day vs. within 24 hrs?

Based on my research of this, I'm guessing I unfortunately know the answer, but thought I'd check anyway. Traveling to MCO from ORD tomorrow morning at 6am, but was hoping to go out tonight on one of the two evening flights. As a gold, hoping to SDC. Called this AM, agent told me my fare class wasn't available and would need to pay a hefty fare difference. However, last night at ORD, learned that there are 20+ seats available on the later flight tonight so I was hoping to go standby, which the check-in agent told me I could do. This morning on the phone hwoever, the agent told me the 24hr rule is not for standby, and you can only be put on standby on the same day, aka anytime after midnight tonight (going against what the agent at check-in told me).

Confirming that is indeed correct? Won't waste my time making the trek out to ORD only to be told I won't be added to the list, if that's the case.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 6:55 am

Alex knows ALL: Our same-day flight change program enables you to confirm a change to your itinerary for a discounted change fee. The fee may be waived for certain Premier members. When your desired flight option is not available to be confirmed, you'll have the option to stand by. Standby requests may be made on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with an airport representative.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-wikipost.html

Much of the info you are looking for is in the WIKI of the above thread.

The best bet is to keep checking the fare buckets and pounce when it levels out. If what you were told is true there is a very good chance you will be able to SDC confirm onto the flight.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 7:34 am

Programs: 1K
This is the only reason I kept my expertflyer subscription (I predominately use KVSTool). You can set an alert for the fare bucket on the flights you are targeting. Receive the email, be the first to SDC!
Old Apr 24, 2014, 7:56 am

Programs: UA 1K
The buckets will probably open up. Just be patient.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
+1 on the buckets most likely opening up. On an FLL-ORD trip a few days ago I saw about 10 different combinations of flights open up (and in many cases, disappear shortly after) at various times by going back into OLCI 50+ times to find better options. I ended up changing flights about 5 times to progressively better options before ending up on the one I wanted.

Definitely don't assume the fare bucket situation is static.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by kengstrom
This morning on the phone hwoever, the agent told me the 24hr rule is not for standby, and you can only be put on standby on the same day, aka anytime after midnight tonight .
The 24hr rule standby, on previous evening flights, was a PMCO perk that disappeared. Immediately after the merger, it was still possible if you found a PMCO agent that still hadn't absorbed the news, and sometimes through security at PMCO hubs with a boarding pass valid for the next day. But now those perks are most definitely extinct.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Last week, I was scheduled to go out on a 6am flight. During check-in 23 hours ahead of the flight, I changed to a flight later that evening.

Original flight: Tuesday 6am
Checked in: Monday 7am
SDC...
New flight: Monday 7pm

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...virtual_expert
The same-day flight change option will be available within 24 hours before your originally scheduled flight. The requested flight must be departing within 24 hours from the time the request is made and can include any fare class, though you may be required to pay the difference in fare. Changes must be made prior to your original scheduled flight.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Last week, I was scheduled to go out on a 6am flight. During check-in 23 hours ahead of the flight, I changed to a flight later that evening. As far as I could tell, it was a SDC.

Original flight: Tuesday 6am
Checked in: Monday 7am
SDC...
New flight: Monday 7pm
Yes, there is no contention that SDC cannot be done to a prior-day flight.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Yes, there is no contention that SDC cannot be done to a prior-day flight.
Yeah, I just re-read the OP and realized I misunderstood (ie, skimmed and missed critical relevant information) his post.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
delete
Old Apr 25, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Premier Platinum
Is SDC from PEK-IAD-PHL to PEK-EWR possible?

Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by westlaker
Nope. Two different markets. SDC isn't (generally) possible even in co-terminals within the same market. The wiki at the top of the page has all the details.

That said, you might have luck SDCing (space available) PEK-EWR-ZFV (EWR-ZFV being an Amtrak codeshare), since ZFV and PHL are co-terminals, but that will require an exceptionally willing agent on your part. If EWR-ZFV isn't the last segment on your itinerary, don't skip it to stay in EWR--your remaining segments will be canceled. If EWR-ZFV is your last segment, you can get away with skipping it, although it's against the spirit of the ZFV codeshare program. Tons more info on that over here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ladelphia.html
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Just some anecdotal evidence on being new to the New York market having been in DC for years -- whereas I seemed to often be able to call and switch between BWI and IAD, it is really, really hard to find an agent who'll do a co-terminal switch for me on EWR and JFK.

One flight I was able to have switched from JFK to EWR on the third call to the Premier Desk - but many flights, multiple calls have done nothing. With one specific itinerary, I called 3 times and the agent said "You've been told this three times now. I understand this is what you want but it's not going to happen."

The call today took the cake. Tried to switch from JFK to EWR - agent offered to waive change fee, but not fare difference, even when I mentioned it hadn't been a problem in the past (which it hadn't) - she got her supervisor on the phone who angrily said that I was engaging in fare manipulation, that agents have been fired for it, and that he wouldn't have even waived the change fee for me. Yikes. I'm usually very pleasant and it caught me off guard.

Anyway -- the "N*" for a co-terminal switch in my experience here has definitely been more of an "N."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.