Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Fee Changes - Eff. Jun. 15, 2011

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2011, 2:52 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
This seems to confirm the rumor that the new name of the UACO frequent flier program will be "Mileage Plus Co-pay."
Old Apr 14, 2011, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA G
Wow, this blows. So much for being the "program that wants you to use your miles."

+1 for "the program that gives the middle finger to < 1Ks."

Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
This seems to confirm the rumor that the new name of the UACO frequent flier program will be "Mileage Plus Co-pay."
^
Old Apr 14, 2011, 3:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
It is interesting how a couple of positive changes (less expense change and re-deposit fees) are swamped out by a negative change (close-in fees). One would think for most the latter is less common that the former. With my travel patterns even as 1P/2P this will be less costly net net.

But I guess this is FTer.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by UA Insider
[*]Award Change Fee: This fee will apply to award changes that are not considered ‘simple changes’. They’ll be $75 per person for awards redeemed by general members, $50 for Premier and Silver Elite members, $25 for Premier Executive and Gold members, and will continue to be waived for 1K, Global Services, Platinum and Presidential Platinum members . Also starting Jun. 15, we’ll offer Mileage Plus members a flat change fee of $75 for awards issued prior to Jun. 15. The Elite discounts, however, will only apply to awards issued on or after Jun. 15.
Worth noting: For OnePass members, there’s no change. For Mileage Plus members, this is a reduction of 50% or more, depending on your Elite status.
[*]Mileage Re-Deposit Fee: This fee will apply to awards that are cancelled and re-deposited. They’ll be $150 per person for awards redeemed by general members, $125 for Premier and Silver members, $100 for Premier Executive and Gold members, and will continue to be waived for 1K, Global Services, Platinum and Presidential Platinum members.
Worth noting: For OnePass members, this is an increase for general, Silver and Gold members. For Mileage Plus members, the fee is the same for general members, but will decrease for Premier and Premier Executive members.
[/indent][/list]
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I'm still thinking the same that I did before, so please help.

To me, the charge applies to "all members" for award travel booked prior to June 15th. Award travel booked after June 15th would be free for a 1K to cancel, but not a trip booked prior to June 15.
$75 fee is only for not simple changes to award travel. Nowhere does it say $75 for redepositing miles for 1K members before or after June 15th.

As a 1K I am not too worried about these changes.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It is interesting how a couple of positive changes (less expense change and re-deposit fees) are swamped out by a negative change (close-in fees). One would think for most the latter is less common that the former. With my travel patterns even as 1P/2P this will be less costly net net.

But I guess this is FTer.
I disagree. I didn't book award tickets until I was 100% sure I was going to take the trip. If I had to cancel, the fees wouldn't be any worse than if I had booked a revenue ticket (assuming domestic trip). The one way I could avoid any fees was to wait until the last minute (you know, when I'm sure I'm going) to book the ticket.

The new plan eliminates that option and is guaranteed to hose you if you have less than 100% certainty in your plans.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by unavaca
I disagree. I didn't book award tickets until I was 100% sure I was going to take the trip. If I had to cancel, the fees wouldn't be any worse than if I had booked a revenue ticket (assuming domestic trip). The one way I could avoid any fees was to wait until the last minute (you know, when I'm sure I'm going) to book the ticket.

The new plan eliminates that option and is guaranteed to hose you if you have less than 100% certainty in your plans.
Yep - plus you'll be more likely hit with standard award miles deduction as well.

The reason UA reduced some fees is they will make more on the ones they raised (close-in fees), and are using the mix to sell bogus PRopaganda.

Which some FTers are gullibly swallowing.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by unavaca

The new plan does not eliminate close in booking but there is these HUGE $25 fee (for an 1P)

My guess is the vast majority of award travellers book in advance to get availability and coordinate other plans -- hotels, ... (and now cancel / change are much cheaper than paid tickets for elites). While your travel patterns may be last minute, the penalty is probably less than you parking fees.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 3:12 pm

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Plat
In addition, the CO Plat desk said that CO would also be allowing one-way awards to match United's policy. This is a big plus as United.bomb rarely lets you book an international one-way reward. CO.com is much better about searching Star Alliance reward availability.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
My guess is the vast majority of award travellers book in advance to get availability and coordinate other plans -- hotels, ... (and now cancel / change are much cheaper than paid tickets for elites). While your travel patterns may be last minute, the penalty is probably less than you parking fees.
In other words you think this was a net cash-poor decision for UA.

I don't think you give their Finance dept enough credit.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 3:13 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I've read over the new fee charts a couple of times.

It seems that a non-elite member could book a trip 21+ days in the future and then immediately make a free change to a different available date less than 21 days in the future to avoid the $75 fee.

The chart says that "Changing a date (same routing and class of service)" or "Changing your flight (same routing, date and class of service, but different flight number)" to a new date less than 21 days in the future has no fee.

Is this a loophole, or am I missing something?
Old Apr 14, 2011, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by bidhere23
In addition, the CO Plat desk said that CO would also be allowing one-way awards to match United's policy. This is a big plus as United.bomb rarely lets you book an international one-way reward. CO.com is much better about searching Star Alliance reward availability.
Lots of things are a plus for CO flyers as they experience the higher standards and capabilities of United Mileage Plus.

It's UA flyers (esp elites) that are getting slapped in the process as other elements of MP are being lowered to CO levels.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by AzLarry

It seems that a non-elite member could book a trip 21+ days in the future and then immediately make a free change to a different available date less than 21 days in the future to avoid the $75 fee.

The chart says that "Changing a date (same routing and class of service)" or "Changing your flight (same routing, date and class of service, but different flight number)" to a new date less than 21 days in the future has no fee.

Yes it does appear to be a loop hole for UA flyers in both the charts and also in UA Insider's post. The OP says that CO flyers will have to pay the close in fee for changes within 21 days but not UA flyers.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I'll start caring when I'm no longer 1K...

Originally Posted by AzLarry

That loophole existed back when there were fees, looks like it does again.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
In other words you think this was a net cash-poor decision for UA.

I don't think you give their Finance dept enough credit.
did not say that but for most elites it is probably true. Not true for GMs
So it is possible for there to be both a net positive for the finance folks and a net positive for (most) elites (and maybe someone was thinking about being positive toward the elites -- but that might be going to far)

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Lots of things are a plus for CO flyers as they experience the higher standards and capabilities of United Mileage Plus.

It's UA flyers (esp elites) that are getting slapped in the process as other elements of MP are being lowered to CO levels.
It is interesting to note that the tone in the CO forum is different
Old Apr 14, 2011, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
So it is possible for there to be both a net positive for the finance folks and a net positive for (most) elites
Exactly. This will make me more likely to use/accumulate UA miles in 2011. I don't have to worry about "Oh, You want to change from your current UA flight to one that has better timing? $150, please."

One $150 flight change fee I avoid as a 1P pays for 6 close-in award fees I would pay as a 1P. According to the simple math that makes me gullible, this counts as a win for me. Your mileage may vary, because maybe you like close-in awards and never change a booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.