Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Old Mar 14, 2013, 6:05 pm

Programs: JL JMB Diamond 1.4 MM, UA 1P 1.2 MM
Have a simple question about the consolidated UA/CO? Ask here.

Can you change seats online after check in? As many times as you want assuming a better seat opens up?
Old Mar 14, 2013, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Goosh
Can you change seats online after check in? As many times as you want assuming a better seat opens up?
Yes. You just have to do it through the OLCI screen, and not directly in the res.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 9:46 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by jatink129
Hello all,
Have any of you ever had any luck with getting UA to apply more than one Gift card to a transaction?

I have GC in various denominations ($150-$300 each) and would like to use them to pay for a $900 ticket, but the system won't let me, nor would the CSR.

Was wondering if there was a way around this?

Thanks.
Bump.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 1:07 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Not sure if this is a simple question (sorry if it isn't). I was looking at routing options from Indianapolis to Shanghai on award ticket. I see that stopping over at Hawaii is ok and doesn't cost any additional mile. However, when I stop over at any airport in Europe such as Frankfurt, Paris or Copenhagen, I get an error msg saying "We were not able to find any available flights for award travel meeting your requirements." (it will let me pick the US->Europe flight, but after that is submitted then the error appears).

According to this article (#7), "You can fly to Asia via Europe, but you need to stay within 15% of the Maximum Permitted Mileage on the route you are flying." Does this mean I have exceeded the MPM on this flight? I also tried IND->Europe->Dubai->PVG->IND to see if it makes any difference, same error.

I can think of several possible causes:
-Stopover at Europe is not allowed between US->Asia?
-It's allowed, but can only be booked over the phone?
-It's allowed and can be booked online, but this particular route exceeded the MPM?
Old Mar 15, 2013, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
(note the above is a slight rewording of the older similar policy -- note it is now clearer concerning the case of multiple BF flights)
I'm shocked it took them this long to fix that. Bummer that they did, though.
Originally Posted by jatink129
Hello all,
Have any of you ever had any luck with getting UA to apply more than one Gift card to a transaction?

I have GC in various denominations ($150-$300 each) and would like to use them to pay for a $900 ticket, but the system won't let me, nor would the CSR.

Was wondering if there was a way around this?

Thanks.
Sometimes you can get the company to combine the old vouchers/certs into one new, larger one. But that takes time and a friendly agent. Otherwise no chance.
Originally Posted by italdesign
Not sure if this is a simple question (sorry if it isn't). I was looking at routing options from Indianapolis to Shanghai on award ticket. I see that stopping over at Hawaii is ok and doesn't cost any additional mile. However, when I stop over at any airport in Europe such as Frankfurt, Paris or Copenhagen, I get an error msg saying "We were not able to find any available flights for award travel meeting your requirements." (it will let me pick the US->Europe flight, but after that is submitted then the error appears).
If you can find the individual segments then call and have the agent assemble the award; online doesn't work well in some multi-city tickets.

According to this article (#7), "You can fly to Asia via Europe, but you need to stay within 15% of the Maximum Permitted Mileage on the route you are flying." Does this mean I have exceeded the MPM on this flight?
That applies to US Air awards, not United awards. United doesn't use MPM for award calculations.

-It's allowed, but can only be booked over the phone?
This is almost certainly the case in your situation.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
There's lots posted about domestic (or old config international) 777s being subbed in for IPTE 777s - with the associated and IMO justified complaints about the switch.

Has the reverse ever happened? Am curious because I'm in F (row 1) on UA331 SFO-IAD (which as far as I can tell is a Monday/Friday only flight - consultants?) which is on a domestic config 772 (is that a ghetto bird?). What are the odds of it being switched for a 2 or 3 class international config. I'm guessing zero on the first given that both SFO and IAD are PMUA hubs, and low on the latter. Anyone have any experience with this?
Old Mar 16, 2013, 2:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by scnzzz
There's lots posted about domestic (or old config international) 777s being subbed in for IPTE 777s - with the associated and IMO justified complaints about the switch.

Has the reverse ever happened? ...
domestic sUA 777 do not get swapped for 777Qs ( but old config international 777 might occasionally be used, but not domestic 777). Btw, there are only a handful of the old config international 777 left, probably will be gone on international routes in a few months.

....Am curious because I'm in F (row 1) on UA331 SFO-IAD (which as far as I can tell is a Monday/Friday only flight - consultants?) which is on a domestic config 772 (is that a ghetto bird?). ...
not the ghetto bird was 763 which are gone or have been reconfig'ed

...What are the odds of it being switched for a 2 or 3 class international config. ...
near zero -- for the most part the international configs are not used on domestic runs
Old Mar 16, 2013, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
near zero -- for the most part the international configs are not used on domestic runs
Thanks. Figured. Row 1 is the place to be, yes?

out of curiosity, seeing that the 777 service SFO-IAD is not daily - I'd assume that bird is doing HNL/GUM runs otherwise? Was wondering why (not that I'm complaining) there's a 777 on this route Mondays and Fridays - just traffic on those days?
Old Mar 16, 2013, 3:17 pm

couple of questions

Hi,
Couple of questions and I hope someone can help.

If I'm flying from SFO-->LAX-->NRT
Do I check in my luggage at SFO or do I have to re check at LAX?
On the way back, do I need to pick my luggage and clear customs at LAX and then re check my luggage for the connecting flight?

Thanks

Last edited by newone88; Mar 16, 2013 at 3:58 pm
Old Mar 16, 2013, 3:28 pm

Outbound: Check bags at SFO and do not recheck at LAX.

Return: Check bags in at NRT. When you land in the US at LAX...

#1 Clear immigration.

#2 Collect bags from baggage claim.

#3 Clear customs.

#4 Recheck bags right after you exit customs.

#5 Go to the gate for your connecting flight.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thanks. Figured. Row 1 is the place to be, yes? ...
IMO yes, as long as you don't want unseat storage. I'm not a window person, so the middle rows are nice.
Boeing 777-200 (777) V4 Domestic
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ld-config.html

...out of curiosity, seeing that the 777 service SFO-IAD is not daily - I'd assume that bird is doing HNL/GUM runs otherwise? Was wondering why (not that I'm complaining) there's a 777 on this route Mondays and Fridays - just traffic on those days?
probably is a peak capacity issue -- they also handle the Hawaii routes.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 3:55 pm

Got it, thank you.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:31 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, WN A-List, QR Gold
Upgrade Copay Waivers for Domestic Leg of an International Ticket?

Not sure that this qualifies as a simple question—although I expect the answer is pretty straightforward—but I'm hoping for some clarification on UA's policy of waiving MileagePlus Upgrade Award copays for Premier Platinum.

I'm flying from LAX to LIS via EWR next month, and I'm interested in using miles to upgrade the first leg from LAX to EWR. From the UA website, I understood that the copay waivers for Premier members are limited to certain domestic "routes." However, the Platinum desk rep I talked to earlier today claimed that since the ticket involves international travel, she couldn't waive any copays—even for a purely domestic leg of the trip.

This seemed a little strange to me (since she is able to split the upgrade request to apply to individual legs of the trip), but I'm interested to know if it accords with other travelers' experiences.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:37 am

Welcome to FT!, mmfisher
Originally Posted by mmfisher
.... the Platinum desk rep I talked to earlier today claimed that since the ticket involves international travel, she couldn't waive any copays—even for a purely domestic leg of the trip. ....
Not heard this one before -- certainty sounds like a case worth re-try per FTer Rule #1 (if you don't like the answer, try again).
Old Mar 17, 2013, 8:31 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, WN A-List, QR Gold
Not heard this one before -- certainty sounds like a case worth re-try per FTer Rule #1 (if you don't like the answer, try again).
Thanks for the reply and, as an update for anyone else in the future facing the same problem, I called again today and managed to connect with an agent who processed the domestic upgrade with the waived copay.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.