Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated IAH connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Old Jul 12, 2016, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Checking in and departing from IAH:

Terminal C has the most reliably open Precheck and Premier Access security lanes. Consider checking in and clearing security in at Terminal C even if departing from another terminal.

There are no UA check-in counters in Terminal A, even though UA has a few flights that depart from Terminal A. Check in at Terminal B or C.

There is an underground, somewhat slow landside tram system (the Subway) that runs between the basement level of all terminals (plus the on-site Marriott hotel) outside of security. (The Subway was built by Disney and modeled after their PeopleMover ride. It's worth a look if you're into that sort of thing.)

Recommended practices for transiting IAH:

IAH is a huge airport, but all terminals are very conveniently connected by a very frequent, fast airside tram system (the Skyway) inside security. You can pretty much get from any point in the airport to any other point in the airport within about 15 minutes (with a combination of Skyway and a brisk walk) without reclearing security. UA publishes as low as a 35-minute minimum connect time (MCT) at IAH, and while you shouldn't dilly-dally, this is doable on a typical domestic-domestic connection. (It helps if your inbound is not delayed and you're seated towards the front of the plane, of course; your departure flight will be almost fully boarded by the time you get there, but you'll make it.)

Note that the higher-numbered C gates (C29-C45, aka "C South") are directly connected to the E terminal by a walkway. It is usually faster to walk from C South to E (especially the low E gates) than it is to take the train. Similarly, C North (C14-C27) are directly connected to the D terminal, though the Skyway is not really out of the way and is useful if going from a low C gate to a high D gate (C24 to D10, for example). Terminal A and Terminal B are not connected by any walkways, and you must use the Skyway to change to or from these terminals.

For international arrivals: after clearing customs, stay to the left of the baggage re-check belts and follow signs to exit to arrivals (like you're going to curbside). Once in the arrivals lobby, take the elevator or escalator up one floor to find a PreCheck checkpoint and a usually-less-crowded regular checkpoint. If you ignore this advice and proceed up the escalator behind the baggage re-check area, the transit security checkpoint there is often congested and does not have a separate PreCheck checkpoint.

While perhaps not usually recommended, in a pinch, with Global Entry, no checked bags, and PreCheck, it is possible to make a one-hour (or even slightly less) connection by following the above instructions specifically (on a good day, it can take less than 30 minutes from flight arrival to sitting in the Terminal E United Club, as one member reported in the thread). Without Global Entry and with checked luggage (which must be retrieved to go through customs and dropped back off after clearing customs), especially if you are a foreign resident, expect the immigration and customs process to take longer, so allow enough time accordingly. For UA-UA international-international connections (ITI), there is a special immigration line that usually moves pretty quickly, and your baggage will be checked through and does not need to be retrieved to go through customs. No need to collect checked luggage while transiting through IAH. [OneStop]

Again, do not follow signs for international connections up the escalator behind the baggage re-check area; exit to the arrivals waiting area and re-enter one floor above through normal airport security. A map follows for visual learners:

Terminal E arrivals level / departures level:

The marked elevator will spit you out literally directly in front of the PreCheck checkpoint.

Standard UA-UA MCT table for IAH:

Results from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Minimum Connect Times:
Connecting at IAH
Incoming airline UA
Outgoing airline UA

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .45 1.00 1.00 1.15
OFFLINE .45 1.00 1.00 1.15
There are lots of exceptions, though, and some specific flights have as low as a 35-minute MCT, which is doable as mentioned above. IAH is a very efficiently designed airport, and you should not worry about what appears to be an abnormally low connection time; if UA says your connection is valid, it is almost certainly doable within the allotted time (notwithstanding delays, of course, and standard advice regarding allowing longer connections for mission-critical travel or travel on separate tickets still stands).

Airport map, courtesy of United Airlines:
Map displays Star Alliance partners only; most non-Star Alliance airlines have domestic operations in Terminal A or international operations in Terminal D

Archive posts - Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at IAH [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Consolidated IAH connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Old Mar 14, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by ali7204
Would 90 minutes be enough to clear GE/Pickup luggage/clear customs/Recheck bags and make it to EWR bound flight in 90 minutes (mostly likely from Term C but it can be Term E.
No problem at all.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: Marriott BonvAnnoyed
Originally Posted by YadiMolina
No problem at all.
Thanks. I was able to change my long haul from AMS to IAD and got 2 hours connection to LGA. Worked out like a charm.
Old May 3, 2019, 3:16 am

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
Arrived on UA100 an hour early.
The kiosks were producing rubbish results for many pax. I got the dreaded X.
In the general immigration queue they had two officers working. That’s right two for what appeared to be at least three plane loads. As time went on a few more dribbled in but were in no hurry to start work.
Because of my X I had to go thru the whole fingerprint/photo thing again with the officer.
Got to security after baggage drop. Not really crowded. But one official was barking orders eg. No need for shoes off etc. which was completely contradicted at the scanner point so there were a few altercations with annoyed (and tired) pax there with resultant holdups.
Upshot of it all?
Two hours from landing to C gates for onward flight to EWR.
As one fellow Australian said to me “ This mob couldn’t organise a drink in brewery”.
Old May 3, 2019, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by grapegrower
Arrived on UA100 an hour early.
The kiosks were producing rubbish results for many pax. I got the dreaded X.
In the general immigration queue they had two officers working. That’s right two for what appeared to be at least three plane loads. As time went on a few more dribbled in but were in no hurry to start work.
Because of my X I had to go thru the whole fingerprint/photo thing again with the officer.
Got to security after baggage drop. Not really crowded. But one official was barking orders eg. No need for shoes off etc. which was completely contradicted at the scanner point so there were a few altercations with annoyed (and tired) pax there with resultant holdups.
Upshot of it all?
Two hours from landing to C gates for onward flight to EWR.
As one fellow Australian said to me “ This mob couldn’t organise a drink in brewery”.
That's not very comforting. I have a 90 min. layover and need to claim my luggage and go through security
Old Jun 30, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond, BW Diamond, Radisson Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
From reading the comments on here it doesn't look too good for me. I am connecting from Newark to Narita, UA 225 to UA 7. Looking at the on time performance of UA 225 combined with the fact I've got 37 minutes to connect, I'm pretty sure I am going to be missing my connection haha.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 3:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, Flyer22564

Originally Posted by Flyer22564
From reading the comments on here it doesn't look too good for me. I am connecting from Newark to Narita, UA 225 to UA 7. Looking at the on time performance of UA 225 combined with the fact I've got 37 minutes to connect, I'm pretty sure I am going to be missing my connection haha.
The MCT is 35 minutes (if not arriving term A -UX/AC) and I am usually uncomfortable with connections not at least 30 minutes more than MCT, so I would agree. Try calling on get in on a 6 AM departure from EWR.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Flyer22564
Definitely try and switch to the 6am flight. You could make that, but it is obviously extremely risky. Look into EWR-NRT direct too, unless you booked this due to PZ or award space only on the IAH flight.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond, BW Diamond, Radisson Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by UAL250
Definitely try and switch to the 6am flight. You could make that, but it is obviously extremely risky. Look into EWR-NRT direct too, unless you booked this due to PZ or award space only on the IAH flight.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Welcome to FT!, Flyer22564

The MCT is 35 minutes (if not arriving term A -UX/AC) and I am usually uncomfortable with connections not at least 30 minutes more than MCT, so I would agree. Try calling on get in on a 6 AM departure from EWR.
I just called UA, and even the agent commented on how short the connection was especially since there was an error with seating and my seat at the front of Y was moved to the back of Y. But, she was able switch me to the 6am flight. I'm meeting someone in IAH so we could get the same flight out to NRT, or I would have usually booked a direct flight. Thanks for the advice guys.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:07 am

Update : Our flight was from Sydney -> Houston -> 90 mins layover -> Detroit. We used the Mobile Passport app and uploaded our pictures and passport information about 2 hours before landing. Once I had wifi and Cell data I clicked on Submit to get the QR code in the app. It took about 4 tries. I was about ready to give up thinking maybe our pictures were unrecognizable or something else. It went thru after the 4th try so do keep trying on your Mobile passport app if it errors the first couple of times. This was a huge time saver as there was nobody ahead of us in the Mobile Passport line for customs. We then proceeded to collect our bags which took about 15-20 mins. Once we got our bags we went into the connecting flights area and rechecked in our bags. Those guys were pretty fast. We then walked from terminal E to C and made it with about 15 mins to spare. Thank you all for answering my questions and all the help.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:59 pm

Hi all, just wanted to hear some opinions on transiting within IAH and the likelihood of making a connection in my outbound.
  • May 19 DL2118 from LGA to IAH scheduled to arrive at 9:01am
  • Flight should be landing in Terminal A
  • NH173 (booked with Virgin Atlantic miles) scheduled to depart at 11:30am
  • Flight should be departing from Terminal D
  • We will not be checking bags, carry on only
Assuming we'll be able to check in online for ANA, not have to go back outside of security, and transfer from Terminal A to Terminal D via the Skyway. Also considering the possibility of trying to rebook the ANA award flight via Virgin Atlantic in the worst case scenario. Would it be reasonable to expect this itinerary to work? Thanks.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kchao1213
Hi all, just wanted to hear some opinions on transiting within IAH and the likelihood of making a connection in my outbound.
Assuming we'll be able to check in online for ANA, not have to go back outside of security, and transfer from Terminal A to Terminal D via the Skyway. Also considering the possibility of trying to rebook the ANA award flight via Virgin Atlantic in the worst case scenario. Would it be reasonable to expect this itinerary to work? Thanks.
Not really related to MileagePlus or United, but if the weather is OK, this should be fine.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:38 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold

More of an ANA or possibly *A question, but this should be an easy connection even with late arrival.

And even if you cannot check in online, I would think a gate agent would be able to print BP, so IMHO no need to leave secure area. Of course you miss the Subway (outside secure area) that way.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
You should be OK. 2.5 hours is plenty at IAH, especially in the early morning when there's almost certainly not going to be any storms like there could be in the afternoon. And I agree with the post before me that says there should be no need to go outside the secure area, as even if you're unable to check-in online (I don't see why you wouldn't be able to), you should be able to get the BP at the gate. Good luck.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:20 pm

Thanks, all - much appreciated, and apologies for the misplaced post!
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:07 am

Hi all - I am traveling BOS-IAH-NRT (ANA) on Monday and have a 54 min scheduled connection. It looks like it should be ok because it's in the late morning, but anyone think I should be concerned?

Thx

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.