Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SQ SKL access @ SFO permanently denied for *G domestic

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ SKL access @ SFO permanently denied for *G domestic

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2011, 4:49 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, AA, SPG - Gold, LM
While it lasted, I had been admitted without much hasitation, most of the time, and at times, simply turned away, citing "we are experiancing full flight" and things like that.

I was wondering if this rule was only for the US/UA/CO *Gs or for all other *G. I being a 1K and *G from BD, could use BD *G, if this still ok with SKL.

Anyone tested lately.....
Old Jan 2, 2011, 5:40 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
yes -- always easy to look up the rules, Star Alliance Lounge Access
Has anyone tried to get in with an RCC membership since the recent rules change? Curious to see how far SQ's rules changes reach.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I was told this when I used the lounge on the 31st in conjunction with an AC flight to Canada. Reception dragon said it would be the last day for such admission. Even used my AC STARGold, not my UA STARGold card. Not sure if she realized that Canada is not a domestic destination. I will be back at SFO Wednesday morning for another AC flight to YYZ and maybe give it a debate. Of course, SQ has introduced this change because it has been overwhelmed by UA STARGolds who use this lounge as they don't have RCC memberships and thus exploit the loophole when flying domestic.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 4:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Shareholder
UA STARGolds who use this lounge as they don't have RCC memberships and thus exploit the loophole when flying domestic.
It's not exploiting a loophole. It's taking advantage of a published benefit.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
yes -- always easy to look up the rules
The rules also say that all *G should have access. That doesn't stop SQ from making up their own.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 4:28 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
SQ is not much of a *A airline. Redemption sucks, now this, and also awarding miles for flights isn't very good with them either...
Old Jan 3, 2011, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM, DL GM, HH Diamond, PC Gold
Originally Posted by SAN 1K
So is the Lufthansa lounge at Dulles next on the hit list?
Just used it on the 31st, girl at the desk did not mention anything.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 4:37 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Yeah. It's UA (and CO and US) that punched themselves a loophole in the *A rules, to allow them to deny their own *Gs access to their own *G lounges when flying domestically.

The loophole punched by UA does not apply to other airlines' lounges (except CO and US), so normal *G rules apply. Until now when SQ is making their own rule.

Also, plenty of UA *Gs who use the SQ lounge are RCC members, so it's incorrect to assume that they are "exploiting a loophole" because they don't have RCC members. Instead, they may prefer the SKL because it's better than the RCC. It's not like AC *Gs are somehow "better" than UA *Gs. Besides, doesn't AC still give away *G easily at 35K EQM?
Old Jan 3, 2011, 4:59 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA 1K, AC 35K, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
This thread has also appeared on the Air Canada Aeroplan thread as many AC flyers also make use of this lounge. Since no has brought up this point yet, I'll raise it...

...I was under the impression that SQ receives a fee from UA or AC everytime a *Gold member uses their lounge. I was told this is why they are so religious about scanning or signing people in. Why would SQ pass up on this source of revenue. I have heard this fee that Air Canada is charged everytime I use an non-AC lounge is between $18-$35 as told by the lounge agents. It seems odd to me that SQ would drop such a source of revenue.

It's also a shame that SQ is considering Canada as a domestic destination.

Will this mean the end to using the SQ lounge to shower on a INCOMING UA flight from SYD/MEL with an onward connection to Canada or another "U.S." destination?
Old Jan 3, 2011, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman

The rules also say that all *G should have access. That doesn't stop SQ from making up their own.
More than likely, UA has instructed SQ to impose the restriction since it costs UA $25 for every entry. So unless you're an RCC who has paid UA something to offset this, the loophole was getting abusive for the carrier, particularly since the shuttle was no longer needed to get from/to the domestic to the international terminals.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 5:04 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
More than likely, UA has instructed SQ to impose the restriction since it costs UA $25 for every entry.
First of all, I didn't realize UA could speak for every other Star Alliance carrier, as SQ's self-styled rule appears to apply equally to all. Second, I don't believe the $25 charge. People talk about it, but as far as I know, nobody in the know has ever confirmed that this happens. If SQ really did get that money, what's their incentive to cut it off?

the loophole was getting abusive for the carrier
I suggest you read the lounge access rules on staralliance.com. There is no loophole here, so this statement doesn't make sense.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 5:27 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
I was admitted w/o comment on the 31st, flying UA F to San Antonio. The matron took down my info and welcomed me into the lounge, I stayed there for about an hour until it closed just before the ICN flight. There were not many people there.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
I don't blame SQ for this. Their lounge at SFO is really too small (its too small for just the SQ preimum passenger use!)
Old Jan 3, 2011, 8:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
I don't understand the continual references to RCC being eligible for access here. RCC rules explicitly state that the member must be on an international ticket to access *A lounges.

# Reciprocal club privileges provide access worldwide to the following lounges:

* All Continental Presidents Club® locations. Red Carpet Club members are limited to one guest when visiting any Continental Presidents Club location outside the U.S.
* All US Airways Club® locations.
* All Star Alliance® member airline lounges. Red Carpet Club members may access Star Alliance member airline lounges when departing on a same-day international flight on any Star Alliance carrier.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by jgsx
I don't understand the continual references to RCC being eligible for access here. RCC rules explicitly state that the member must be on an international ticket to access *A lounges.
Because the Star Alliance rule (see http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...access-policy/) does not have that requirement.

Originally Posted by warreng24
Their lounge at SFO is really too small
I've never seen more than 6 or 8 people in it.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 8:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jgsx
Could not find the item you are quoting BUT

on the Star Alliance Lounge Access Rules state
Paid Lounge Membership Customers: Eligible Paid Lounge Membership Customers have access to any Star Alliance member carriers' owned Business Class lounges.

Eligible Paid Lounge Membership Customers include United Airlines Red Carpet Club, US Airways Club, Air Canada Maple Leaf Club – Worldwide and Continental Airlines Presidents Club.
Customer must present a valid eligible paid lounge membership card
Customer must also present a boarding card for a same day Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport.
Customer is entitled to one guest
notice no international flight requirement

and

on RCC site
Reciprocal club privileges provide access worldwide to the following lounges:
• All Continental Presidents Club® locations. Red Carpet Club members are limited to one guest when visiting any Continental Presidents Club location outside the U.S.
• All US Airways Club locations
• All Star Alliance® member airline lounges. Red Carpet Club members may access Star Alliance member airline lounges with up to one guest when departing on a same day flight on any Star Alliance carrier.
again -- notice no international flight requirement

and
www.united.com > Services & information > Airport clubs & lounges > Star Alliance lounges
For admission to one of our designated Star Alliance® member clubs or lounges listed below, you must be departing on a Star Alliance flight and present your same-day ticket on the appropriate carrier along with your boarding pass and United Red Carpet Club membership card.
and no mention of international flight requirement

the preponderance of references clearly have no international flight requirement

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.